Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 UK Sim Card

• 03-07-2012 3:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Are these free to get in a UK O2 Shop/ UK Carphone Warehouse?

I need one to test to make sure my current iPhone is O2 UK locked before i go about unlocking it.

No-one has one of hand they could post me no? :P

Also will this idea work :

According to O2 Online UK, they unlock iPhones for 15£ and take it from your credit
    Pay & Go customers

Yes, you can unlock your iPhone. You’ll need to pay a £15.00 one off fee and we’ll take this from the credit on your phone.

If you’re unlocking your phone less than 12 months after you bought it, we’ll take off the free Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On (that we added for the first 12 months). If you want to keep the Bolt On (it costs £10 a month), just choose the option when you’re filling out the unlocking form. Find out more about the Web & Wi-Fi Bolt on here

Once we’ve got your form, it’ll then take up to 10 working days for us to get it unlocked for you. Once it’s unlocked, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. iTunes will then tell you the phone is unlocked.

So could i :
    Get a UK o2 sim card, top it up by say 20£, apply for this unlocking request, and have them take 15£ of the credit and do the unlock?

Any Help appreciated, Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mcw92 wrote: »
    Are these free to get in a UK O2 Shop/ UK Carphone Warehouse?

I need one to test to make sure my current iPhone is O2 UK locked before i go about unlocking it.

No-one has one of hand they could post me no? :P

Also will this idea work :

According to O2 Online UK, they unlock iPhones for 15£ and take it from your credit

So could i :
    Get a UK o2 sim card, top it up by say 20£, apply for this unlocking request, and have them take 15£ of the credit and do the unlock?

Any Help appreciated, Cheers.

You can order loads of O2 SIMcards or giffgaff SIMcards to a UK address.

I have dozens of them.

if the phone was/is originally locked to O2 UK on PAYG, then yes, your procedure will work. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

culabula wrote: »
    You can order loads of O2 SIMcards or giffgaff SIMcards to a UK address.

I have dozens of them.

if the phone was/is originally locked to O2 UK on PAYG, then yes, your procedure will work. .

Ya but i live down in the south like, i have no UK Address.
    Could i not just go into the O2 shop in enniskillen, and get a free sim and register it when i get home say.
    Then top it up by 15, apply for the unlock, and bingo!?

The iPhone is locked to O2 UK yes.

Ya but i live down in the south like, i have no UK Address.
    Could i not just go into the O2 shop in enniskillen, and get a free sim and register it when i get home say.
    Then top it up by 15, apply for the unlock, and bingo!?

The iPhone is locked to O2 UK yes.

Yes, I know, that's why I emphasised that they wil only be posted out to a UK address.

As for an O2 shop in Enniskillen, yes, of course you can -but why wouldn't you just top it up in the shop while you're at it? Speeds up the process.

I think you can even apply for the unlock in-store.

P.S.: in addition you probably don't have a UK credit card by the same token, therefore all the more reason why you would apply the top up while there

Yes, I know, that's why I emphasised that they wil only be posted out to a UK address.

As for an O2 shop in Enniskillen, yes, of course you can -but why wouldn't you just top it up in the shop while you're at it? Speeds up the process.

I think you can even apply for the unlock in-store.

P.S.: in addition you probably don't have a UK credit card by the same token, therefore all the more reason why you would apply the top up while there

Ok cheers, as for unlocking it in shop,
    I would but would they not mind that i go into buy a PAYG sim(wanna test the iphone to make sure its defo O2 UK Locked), and want to unlock my iPhone for a different network straight away?

Ok cheers, as for unlocking it in shop,
    I would but would they not mind that i go into buy a PAYG sim(wanna test the iphone to make sure its defo O2 UK Locked), and want to unlock my iPhone for a different network straight away?

Ah, I didn't say that. I said apply for the unlock in store. They can't possibly unlock it on the premises.

Definitely locked to O2 UK? I thought you said that it was?

As for O2 -they offer the service, am sure they have no concern as to what you do with it afterwards.

in any case, I'd get the top up in store at least, because you'd be pretty frustrated once you get home and find that your card expressed in € is not accepted online.

• Advertisement

Ah, I didn't say that. I said apply for the unlock in store. They can't possibly unlock it on the premises.

Definitely locked to O2 UK? I thought you said that it was?

As for O2 -they offer the service, am sure they have no concern as to what you do with it afterwards.

in any case, I'd get the top up in store at least, because you'd be pretty frustrated once you get home and find that your card expressed in € is not accepted online.

Jaysus i fell like im getting questioned here.lol
    I am almost certain its locked to O2 UK, it was bought 2nd hand with a gevey sim used(which no longer works) and the original network is unknown nor can it be found out from the seller. I say O2 UK, as when i did the search online, the IMEI returned it was registered in UK and simlocked to O2 UK.

Ya im going down Thursday, so il get it sorted then. Cheers.

Jaysus i fell like im getting questioned here.lol
    I am almost certain its locked to O2 UK, it was bought 2nd hand with a gevey sim used(which no longer works) and the original network is unknown nor can it be found out from the seller. I say O2 UK, as when i did the search online, the IMEI returned it was registered in UK and simlocked to O2 UK.

Ya im going down Thursday, so il get it sorted then. Cheers.

Well, based on what you say, you are not being so much questioned as interrogated :pac:

if you did that search, then your iPhone is certainly locked to O2 UK. Unfortunately, the question now is, is it a bill-pay phone or is it a Pay and Go phone as O2 UK call them?

if the former, then you still have a problem.

if it helps, I can post you down a SIM to save you hassle. But you're going to have to clarify what class of an O2 iPhone it is.

Well, based on what you say, you are not being so much questioned as interrogated :pac:

if you did that search, then your iPhone is certainly locked to O2 UK. Unfortunately, the question now is, is it a bill-pay phone or is it a Pay and Go phone as O2 UK call them?

if the former, then you still have a problem.

if it helps, I can post you down a SIM to save you hassle. But you're going to have to clarify what class of an O2 iPhone it is.

I assume theres a difference so between the PAYG and Contract lock?
    If i go into the shop could they not tell me? As in get them to test both a PAYG sim and a Contract Sim?

Ya that would be great if you could post one down tbh, Im goin to say it a PAYG iPhone(not sure why, but just hopin!lol).

I assume theres a difference so between the PAYG and Contract lock?
    If i go into the shop could they not tell me? As in get them to test both a PAYG sim and a Contract Sim?

Ya that would be great if you could post one down tbh, Im goin to say it a PAYG iPhone(not sure why, but just hopin!lol).

Unfortunately, O2 will know which flavour of iPhone it is.

I were you, I would start the unlock process right now on their site. That way, you will get a clear answer from them as to what needs to be done. If it was bill-pay and out of contract, they will unlock it now. Otherwise, they will inform you and if needs be, I'll post you down a SIM.

Unfortunately, O2 will know which flavour of iPhone it is.

I were you, I would start the unlock process right now on their site. That way, you will get a clear answer from them as to what needs to be done. If it was bill-pay and out of contract, they will unlock it now. Otherwise, they will inform you and if needs be, I'll post you down a SIM.

But can i not just tell them i dont know which it is, PAYG or Contract, and i would like them to help me find out?

But i dont have a sim with even a number yet to start a Unlock process?

• Advertisement

But can i not just tell them i dont know which it is, PAYG or Contract, and i would like them to help me find out?

But i dont have a sim with even a number yet to start a Unlock process?
    You don't need a number, just the phone's IMEI. They will know its current status.

And yes, you could simply email them, explain and ask them what is the correct procedure. No need to put yourself out yet until you know whether it's worth it or not.

You don't need a number, just the phone's IMEI. They will know its current status.

And yes, you could simply email them, explain and ask them what is the correct procedure. No need to put yourself out yet until you know whether it's worth it or not.

You wouldnt happen to know an email address for them no? :D

You wouldnt happen to know an email address for them no? :D

It's all on the site. Just go to "contact us" or equivalent.

It's all on the site. Just go to "contact us" or equivalent.

O2 Community Form

Heres someone who had something similar to me, so it seems handy enough to do.

Buy O2 UK PAYG sim card, register it, top up by 20£, use some of the credit, apply online for unlock.done.

O2 Community Form

Heres someone who had something similar to me, so it seems handy enough to do.

Buy O2 UK PAYG sim card, register it, top up by 20£, use some of the credit, apply online for unlock.done.

Grrrrrooooovy!

Advertisement