Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching 1yr old milk??

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

So I've a few questions! My daughter just turned one so going to try switch her milk, she drinks juice/ water from sippy cup everyday for months now so she's well used to it, should I just go cold turkey and ditch the bottles? Or should I try formula in sippy cup for a while first? She's on aptimal follow on now, what do you all think of going onto aptimal 1yr milk as opposed to cows milk? Is that jus delaying the process of giving cows milk? She has never had cows milk in cereal or anything so she's not used to it at all! And finally if skip 1yr milk an opt for cows would full fat supermilk be better than just normal milk? Forgot to say... She is currently on 2 8oz bottles a day and she eats a good sized homemade dinner (usually around 5 types of veg an one meat), one C&G fruit pot,a heinz custard pot amd a couple of liga, and about 6oz of juice. Do you think this is giving her enough vitimins now? I'm not all that sure, and if I take her off formula will this be a sufficient diet? And how much cos milk should I give per day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd switch full fat milk; full fat super milk is expensive but she'll get vitamin d by drinking it. Maybe try the formula in the sippy cup to start and do half and half for a few days gradually replacing the formula with milk.

She has a good diet so there's no need for follow milks as they're a marketing gimmick.

I'd recommend cutting back on juice though. I was always a bit sceptical about giving babies juice but I saw a shocking documentary recently which said juice is as bad as soft drinks calorie wise and it ruins their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Agree 100% with above comment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yep, I'd just put her straight onto cows milk.. I did the whole Follow on Milk thing til my Son was 15 months and one day I ran out so I tried him on cows milk, and he loved it.. drinks more cows milk per day than he did formula..

Raging I didn't do it way sooner.. that bloody formula is expensive apart from anything else.. and it's so time consuming making up bottles.. ditch it!!!!

Advertisement