Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing goods from china?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best forwarder? Im getting 40 cartons and have a FOB price, will need an Irish forwarder to do the rest

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Compton wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best forwarder? Im getting 40 cartons and have a FOB price, will need an Irish forwarder to do the rest

Thanks

contact RUDOLF289 very active on this forum on all matters shipping/duty/import VAT etc. I am sure he can help, he is in that business area.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mongolianyurt

Thanks Peter for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

contact RUDOLF289 very active on this forum on all matters shipping/duty/import VAT etc. I am sure he can help, he is in that business area.

cheers

Peter
    I have, he hasn't replied yet to a message sent a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Compton/mongolianyurt

He has not been online here since 25/11, hence no response. I would suggest that you start a new thread headed something like " Can anyone recommend an Irish based freight/clearance company to handle shipping goods from China"!

Cheers

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

As regards C&F V FOB obviously its only a 1st timer that would get caught out, unless he is stupid and fools himself again.

Suppose a company imports 2 containers a month and uses the same freight forwarder in China and never gets burnt (the FF in China of course must have an associated office or agent in Dublin anyway)

What is the difference in price between sending C&F with a reputable forwarder in China and sending goods FOB using the China forwarders Dublin associate.

My point being, is there any real saving to be achieved by using a reputable C&F agent in China V using a Dublin based company and doing it FOB?

My understanding is the seafreight bit is fixed regardless of which agent you use and most of the charges at Dublin are fixed anyway, regardless of who you use?

Hello Rainbowdash,

Interesting point you make there.

In theory, the forwarders in China are likely to get earlier notice of new (lower) rates. The market being extremely competitive in China, means that savings are being passed on instantly.

However, if you are dealing with a reputable organisation in Ireland, there may be several advantages that a Chinese forwarder may not be able to offer.

For instance, if you import from outside the EU, apart from the (likely) duty, you are also liable to pay the VAT @23% upfront. Granted, the VAT is a deductible input in your VAT return, so you can claim it back. However, more and more Irish based forwarders offer the option of eliminating the VAT outlay by clearing the containers at the point of transhipment (e.g. Rotterdam / Antwerp). This assists with the importers cash flow as the liability for the import VAT is transferred to his periodic VAT return. This avoids the cash outlay (and then wait till the next VAT return to claim it back).

To the best of my knowledge, Chinese Freight Forwarders would not be familiar with this process (nor their Irish counter parts) so, therefore it may be an advantage to deal with an Irish forwarder on the basis of FOB Chinese port.

I am sure there may be other advantages, but that is one that comes immediately to mind.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Never imported via sea before but a week ago I received a very tempting quote on the following .

4.33 cubic meters (m³) – 1540 kgs 100USD

I requested a breakdown of the charges/fees and still haven't received the reply from the Chinese shipping agent on that subject.

The common sense would tell me that it should cost much more to have the goods delivered.

When I think about it handling/agency/custom clearance/delivery should be three times the amount(guessing that one) I was quoted initially by the Chinese shipping sgent.

Don't mind paying more knowing that every angle of the sea shipping was covered.

After reading a bit online about the topic discussed I'd take my chances with local sea freight companies.

My2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wenxue

find some qualified supplier is most important,too many crooks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NJOR

wenxue wrote: »
    find some qualified supplier is most important,too many crooks.....

Totally agree with Wenxue. Don't learn the hard way, which invariably ends in tears if not properly researched

I would be happy to advise. I have been working with accuratelimited who've been dealing with China since 1988. their dot.com website has the same name.

Happy China Trading in 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 baz-

hi
    im in the process of getting a shipment in from india
    and every thing is priced cif,so from what I take from this thread is go fob?
    am I right,i read it that their a lot of hippen costs
    im thinking of a pallet with maybe 2000-3000 euros worth on the pallet maybe 500kg roughly
    so anybody able to give me a rough cif cost?
    can I collect the pallet myself in Dublin myself with jeep and trailer?
    sorry for all the random questions,just new to this importing outside eu,
    thanks in advance for the help,
    regards barry

• Advertisement

baz- wrote: »
    hi
    im in the process of getting a shipment in from india
    and every thing is priced cif,so from what I take from this thread is go fob?
    am I right,i read it that their a lot of hippen costs
    im thinking of a pallet with maybe 2000-3000 euros worth on the pallet maybe 500kg roughly
    so anybody able to give me a rough cif cost?
    can I collect the pallet myself in Dublin myself with jeep and trailer?
    sorry for all the random questions,just new to this importing outside eu,
    thanks in advance for the help,
    regards barry

Hello Barry,

My recommendation is to ask your supplier the following questions ;

1. In case he insists on CIF, ask him to confirm who the receiving agent in Ireland will be so you can contact them and obtain the charges they will levy. That is very important in order to avoid unexpected costs / surprises .....
    2. I would also suggest to ask him for an Free On Board price (FOB).
    3. Ask your supplier to confirm the weight and dimensions of the item(s) you intend to ship from Ireland.

Feel free to send me a PM with the following information so we can review costs for you ;

A. Port of Shipment in India
    B. Commodity
    C. Value
    D. Weights and dimensions of the item(s)
    E. Place of delivery in Ireland

Based on the above we can offer you a second opinion and assist you in bringing in your product(s) in the most cost effective manner

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Barry,

My recommendation is to ask your supplier the following questions ;

1. In case he insists on CIF, ask him to confirm who the receiving agent in Ireland will be so you can contact them and obtain the charges they will levy. That is very important in order to avoid unexpected costs / surprises .....
    2. I would also suggest to ask him for an Free On Board price (FOB).
    3. Ask your supplier to confirm the weight and dimensions of the item(s) you intend to ship from Ireland.

Feel free to send me a PM with the following information so we can review costs for you ;

A. Port of Shipment in India
    B. Commodity
    C. Value
    D. Weights and dimensions of the item(s)
    E. Place of delivery in Ireland

Based on the above we can offer you a second opinion and assist you in bringing in your product(s) in the most cost effective manner

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

So, Can I take from this that the CISV is a made up fee? And that you have absolutely no way of calculating it in advance?

collegeme wrote: »
    So, Can I take from this that the CISV is a made up fee? And that you have absolutely no way of calculating it in advance?

That's right. Most of the time the answer you will get from the Chinese supplier is that "we do not know at this stage who the agent in Ireland (or the UK or Europe!) will be" or they will tell you "all you have to do is clear the shipment and pick it up from the port". If you do get a contact on this side of the world their (very) likely answer will be ; "These are our charges but we have to wait untill the shipment has left before we are being told how much to collect on behalf of the Chinese forwarder"

Unfortunately leaving the shipping arrangements to your Chinese supplier tends to walk you into a trap and creates a lot of very high (unexpected) costs when the goods arrive here in Ireland. If you deal with an Irish based forwarder they can tell you in advance what the charges are, leaving no room for surprises. Bear in mind. no goods leave China unless they are paid for, so on arrival you have a choice. Either swallow the charges or abandon the goods. Its a game that the Chinese play very well, especially with people who buy in China for the first time.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement