Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left side ejecting centerfire pistol, preferably 9mm. Any thoughts?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So my little sister (12) is shooting now and she's a lefty. She handles my Beretta 92A1 suprisingly well considering the grip is intended for adult hands. I believe it's possible to switch the mag and slide releases over to the left side, and the safety/decocker is ambi already, but the fact that the brass ejects right across her field of vision and sometimes lands on her arms or neck is still irritating and painful.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a pistol of similar quality, in 9mm preferably, with a left side ejection port? I did some Googling and found this: http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

A bit pricey, but as far as I can tell there isn't much choice for the above criteria. Also, she can shoot 9mm no problem but I doubt .45acp is going to be manageable or practical right now. I'm also picking up the tab for all this + ammo and considering how trigger happy she is....:eek:

I know some might recommend a .22lr for obvious price and practice reasons, trust me it's already in the works. Reason for the 9mm is that I want to get her shooting IPSC events.

Anyway, your input is appreciated!

Edit: Apologies, I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada and my license allows me to supervise her shooting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just a temporary note until Leon can amend his original post; he's in Canada...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get a Glock,put a stronger ejector/extractor aftermarket spring in it.It will throw the brass almost vertically.A bigger mag release button and slide release lever sorts you out for LH work.Buy a .22 conversion kit for the same gun and you have the practise set up on the full power frame for IPSC shooting. For alot less than a dedicated LH gun.Simples that one!:):D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

The old Walther P38/P1 chucks them out to the left. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

So does the now-defunct Walther P99.

However, left-flongers are VERY rare.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Obviously a 45 but it's as left handed as it gets. nice price tag too.:p there are a few other companies that make similar if you look long enough, it can be hard to find them though. it think i have a few other links on my laptop i'll have a look for you.:)
    http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

How old is the beretta ?

Perhaps as a cheaper option to replacing the pistol you could replace the extractor and extractor spring.

Maybe thatll cause the casings to stop hitting her as shes shooting.

As for brass passing her field of view....as a south paw myself the best advice I can give is deal with it :P

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LeonIRL2

Thanks everyone. Sounds like extractor spring replacement for the beretta is the cheapest way to go. However that would mean that a change to my gun which I am quite happy with right now myself.

The other suggestion of buying a glock and doing the mods would have the advantage that it is then set up for her and she can basically make it her own. I like the idea of getting a .22 conversion kit, is that a Glock thing? How quick could you convert from one to the other?

Speaking of glocks, I found the one (cant remember the model) that I shot way back to be very top heavy. I have to admit I find the beretta 92a1 very light and balanced.

As for the P38, you shouldnt have told me about it coz now I want one! Ive always wanted a Luger too. :D

About the P99, is a decent pistol? Being a Walther im guessing probably yes. Anyone have any hands on experience with it?

What do you guys think of CZ pistols for someone her age doing IPSC. Have to admit im somewhat biased in terms of buying European vs anything american or elsewhere.

Edit: I forgot to add that my beretta is fairly new, 2000 rounds shot at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Luger 08 ejects vertically unless I'm completely mistaken. If you want to spend the money there's loads of them about in fine working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=LeonIRL2;79565225]
    The other suggestion of buying a glock and doing the mods would have the advantage that it is then set up for her and she can basically make it her own. I like the idea of getting a .22 conversion kit, is that a Glock thing? How quick could you convert from one to the other?

Takes all of about 30 secs to swop the uppers.
    Glock itself doesnt make a conversion kit ,but a quick google will give you about 3 to 4 different makers of conversion kits.
    Speaking of glocks, I found the one (cant remember the model) that I shot way back to be very top heavy. I have to admit I find the beretta 92a1 very light and balanced.

Matter of perspective,I find the 92F a clunkier gun than even the HK mod 24 SOCOM,and that is a big lunk.The 92 F was just a gun I could never warm to.

About the P99, is a decent pistol? Being a Walther im guessing probably yes. Anyone have any hands on experience with it?
    Yup a friend of mine has one,and I think he regrets buying it.There are few bolt on features,and any are genuine Walter accessories and very expensive.I suppose its like buying a Rolls Royce,you do not need to add anything to "perfection"[?]No conversion kits for it either,has the Walther single /double action P38 style saftey trigger pull,which gives it the feeling of a trigger mechanism put together by a troll in the Black Forest.Like the trigger mechanisms in the HK 91 rifles,you either love or hate them or can use them no bother..It's a German thing...Most people dont understand:pac:;).TBH its a good quality gun,but it is more a service pistol than a target sport pistol.
    What do you guys think of CZ pistols for someone her age doing IPSC. Have to admit im somewhat biased in terms of buying European vs anything american or elsewhere.
    CZ are fine pistols,can be converted to .22lr as well via CZ conversion kits .If you can get it I would go for a CZ Shadow "mamba".It is virtually a ready to go IPSC standard or factory class gun right out of the box and costs over here under a 1000 euros.I would have bought one of these before our enlightned govt closed down the "flood" of all of 600 pistols and revolvers here.:mad:

TBH get her to try as many pistols as possible and whatever suits her the best,workout the pros and cons of that model for her LH situation and what your wallet will allow.
    I wouldnt knockthe US stuff either ..There are more than enough 1911 smiths there who can build custom guns to whatever your specs would be.The 1911 BTW is famous for throwing its brass high and to the right.
    Its another gun I would use as a fellow Left hooker,just ambidex everything on it.:cool:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LeonIRL2

Well thanks very much everyone for all the advice. I'd like to give thanks with the button but apparently I can't, must still be too green for that privilege. I'll keep you guys posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Having had all the SIGS, and with hands-on experience of daily carry, you might consider the smaller frame SIG228.

And BTW, by nixing US designs you are missing out on a large number of very clever handguns these days, the smaller frame Kimbers in particular. According to the literature they have designed them particularly for CCW or competition, with all kinds of bells and whistles built right in from the get-go.

It's your call [shrug].

tac

PS - you have a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Don't discount fn designs , they make some very nice pistols .

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/group.asp?gid=FNG001

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_547.html

http://www.armslist.com/posts/322137/arkansas-handguns-for-sale--s-w-547-9mm

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Smith-Wesson-Mod-547-9mm.cfm?gun_id=100246277

"Out of the box" idea. See if you can find one of these. I found 4 of them for sale in US without trying too hard, including one at a Cabela's in my region (overpriced as usual). No worries about ejection, and a really nice collector's piece that would probably increase in value. Never can go wrong with a S&W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Hi Leon

I moved to Ontario from Wexford last year. Only getting back to IPSC now Also going to try IDPA. Regarding the CZ. The shadow is the go to gun for IPSC. It's all steel so size and mass may be an issue. Also if it's IPSC just go for the regular SP-01 shadow and not the Canadian model as that's not IPSC production approved. The canadians love to tweak their shadows lol
    CZ also have a new 2012 model shadow that's IPSC production approved. It's got a hand fitted slide and barrel and a factory tweaked trigger. Its the one with the orange grips! Not sure of price though.

I'll be using a shadow in IPSC production and a custom built 1911 45ACP for bullseye and IPSC classic division.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mick7_62

LeonIRL2 wrote: »
    So my little sister (12) is shooting now and she's a lefty. She handles my Beretta 92A1 suprisingly well considering the grip is intended for adult hands. I believe it's possible to switch the mag and slide releases over to the left side, and the safety/decocker is ambi already, but the fact that the brass ejects right across her field of vision and sometimes lands on her arms or neck is still irritating and painful.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a pistol of similar quality, in 9mm preferably, with a left side ejection port? I did some Googling and found this: http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

A bit pricey, but as far as I can tell there isn't much choice for the above criteria. Also, she can shoot 9mm no problem but I doubt .45acp is going to be manageable or practical right now. I'm also picking up the tab for all this + ammo and considering how trigger happy she is....:eek:

I know some might recommend a .22lr for obvious price and practice reasons, trust me it's already in the works. Reason for the 9mm is that I want to get her shooting IPSC events.

Anyway, your input is appreciated!

Edit: Apologies, I should have mentioned that I'm in Canada and my license allows me to supervise her shooting.

I began shooting pistols regularly at age 10, and haven't experienced many issues with righty-designed handguns. As a lefty, and the father of two other lefties, I learned/teach with a semi .22 LR. My first pistol was a Ruger Mk II, and was taught to be super careful with the safety (on the wrong side). I teach with the ambi Walther P22. Nowadays, pistols are almost universally ambi.

Learning to shoot a righty center fire (I learned on a 1911A1 .45acp) as a lefty you must adapt your style to fit the gun. I can reload a .45 by operating the controls with my trigger finger, and I can do it faster than 99% of righty shooter using their thumb. I don't have to shift my grip to pop mags and slide releases, just extend my finger. Find a gun for her that has an ambi safety, and leave the rest alone.

Coonan Arms, Cabot, Stag Arms lefty guns are a gimmick. I picked up a Stag AR15 and absolutely hated it. It felt sooo wrong! Granted, I spent 8 years in the Army behind an M16, but the left ejection, right side controls, etc were weird. I'd rather teach my kids to adapt to any gun they pick up, rather than confine them to some ultra-specialized, lefty-only gimmicky gun. Bolt guns are a bit different, but even so: I spent my entire childhood giving a Leupold scope the reach around:eek:, and my Lefty M700 is awkward.

Whatever you do, find a pistol more ergonomic than the 2x4..... I mean Beretta 92 she's shooting now. The CZ85 is a good choice, Glock 17, Browning HP with ambi safety.... If she's anything like my girls, she'll be out shooting you in no time!

Advertisement