Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVB deal to be completed today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I really hope it’s done and dusted today, the wait has been agony. Hopefully Levy isn’t expecting miracles.

It’s going to take time for AVB to stamp his authority on this squad. Don’t want things turning sour in 6 months time if it isn’t going according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Really depends on how we get on till the window. if we don't loose any first team players bar Luka and sign well I think he'd expect a push for 4th.

In any event I'm excited. Would have been great to have CL football but look onwards and upwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Assuming he does sign today, what are your expectations for the team this year? Obviously it could go either way, but is it a case of we get Champions League football or it's a failure of a season? Will we be willing to miss out on CL if it looks like the squad is improving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think VDV will be let go.... if he doesn't get on board with AVB's ideas early. VDV spoke of how he liked Harry's laissez faire approach to tactics, but didn't like Mourinho's... so I think their could be a clash of personalities. The majority of the rest of the squad are quite young, thus more likely to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

First season no less than 6th
    Second season no less than 4th
    Third season no less than 1st:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Depends who we bring in? Were lacking in the forward positions and have been for some time, Newcastle had that front pairing which related to them having a phenomenal season.

I don’t know much about AVB bar his time at Chelsea. I know he did great things at Porto, seems whoever manages there seems to do well? I’ll get fully behind him and wish him every success and won't be baying for blood if it's going pair shaped, but it’s going to be very difficult.

I’d like very much for us to be pushing for a Champions League place, problem is there's another 3-4 clubs thinking the same. At a guess 5th or 6th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

big talk of moutinho coming to replace modric. release clause of 30 or 35 million

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Smurf1971

Dont think we'll be challenging for CL place. Maybe 5th and a couple of decent cup runs? Would like us to make an impact in the Europa Cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I'm a LFC fan and I think this is a great move.
    AVB was on a hiding to nothing at Chelsea.
    They wanted him to win with the older team and introduce players at the same time. When he went to change things he wasn't given the support at the highest level.
    At Spurs there will be time to introduce some players and let some go.
    Could see this working out well for THFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Smurf1971 wrote: »
    Dont think we'll be challenging for CL place. Maybe 5th and a couple of decent cup runs? Would like us to make an impact in the Europa Cup this year.

Well he won it with Porto, so he clearly takes the Europa League seriously, which would make a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

LEvy fired HR because he didnt get CL qualification and he had taken the club as far as possible, surely therefore Levy expects AVB to gauide us to a a top 4 finish at the very least next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/andre-villasboas-flies-into-london-to-begin-career-comeback-at-tottenham-hotspur-3155705.html

Last few lines............
    The biggest question of all for Spurs is whether they can hang on to Luka Modric, who appears set to hand in a transfer request. Levy values the midfielder at £50 million and will sell but only to an overseas club.

Real Madrid have cooled their interest and the only recent inquiry Spurs have received is from Chelsea, who failed with three bids last summer, including one of £40 million, for Modric. There is also concern that Scott Parker might have to undergo surgery on his troublesome Achilles.

:(

£50 million pounds ... thats like €70m in yoyo's. Crazt money.

AVB is gonna needs funds for 3-4 decent players incl 2 decent strikers.
    I'd take £30-35 and be glad of it!

I'd take £30-35 million as well, but not from any Premier League club. We absolutely cannot sell him to a direct rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus, Moutinho would be a great signing were we to get him. Would make me feel much better about letting Modric go.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

Ssn deal is done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jmcc001 wrote: »
    Ssn deal is done

Linky??

Just checked but cant find confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Yep deal done, welcome to WHL Andre!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Delighted, COYS

It's on the official twitter as well.
    The Club is delighted to announce Andre Villas-Boas as Head Coach.
    https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/220139706933981184

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Excellent news! COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Huge gamble. He had one great season at Porto and one disaster at Chelsea. Don't have a clue which AVB will turn up at the Lane. Will he be as successful as HR? Will his side play with the style we have become use to over the last few seasons? He has his work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

He could be the next Alex Ferguson or the next Juande Ramos.

Any chance we could wait a season before we get the knives out?

What are the bets several "fans" will be calling for his head before the end of September?

Exciting times..

Ormus wrote: »
    He could be the next Alex Ferguson or the next Juande Ramos.

Any chance we could wait a season before we get the knives out?

What are the bets several "fans" will be calling for his head before the end of September?

Exciting times..

It think you hit the nail on the head there.

LEts wait and see I suppose.

Looking forward to the pre-season matches.
    I hope we still play some exciting, free flowing football. Doesnt have to be as exciting as it was under HR but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Welcome to the Lane AVB. Hope fans give him some time to settle in and implement his style and way of thinking. Im delighted but tbh was a bit worried when his name popped up a few weeks ago. Cant wait for the new season and to see what transfers we have in store. Syg's aul lad saying the deal is done with spurs for his sons signature. Could be a load of ****e who knows, wait and see. COYS

Link to Spurs statement. http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/tottenham-hotspur-appoints-andre-villas-boas-as-new-head-coach-03072012.page?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll happily give him one season to build his team and I'd hope for a decent run at top 3/4 next year. A cup run and top 6 I think we should be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best of luck to him at Spurs but I am defiantly not excited by no means.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Not happy with this appointment but I was going to White Hart Lane before he was born and I'll still be going when he leaves us. (BTW - what is the average stay of our managers in the last 10-15 years?)
    Time to park my unhappiness and give him a chance. My memory tells me that I wasn't happy when Harry got the job either and I was delighted when Hoddle and Ardiles were appointed :) Could be a good omen. Now - do I renew that membership or not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

WHL wrote: »
    Not happy with this appointment but I was going to White Hart Lane before he was born and I'll still be going when he leaves us. (BTW - what is the average stay of our managers in the last 10-15 years?)
    Time to park my unhappiness and give him a chance. My memory tells me that I wasn't happy when Harry got the job either and I was delighted when Hoddle and Ardiles were appointed :) Could be a good omen. Now - do I renew that membership or not??

Yes :D;)

Advertisement