Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Kitten that will not shut up.

• 03-07-2012 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

I got my GF a kitten at the end of April for her birthday. The kitten is from a stray who decided to give birth in a friends garage. They are not very caring to animals here (the middle east) and my GF has been hassseling me for a cat for a long time as she has grown up with them.

Now the kitten is nuts, its kept indoors (until it is neutered) and it wrecks the furniture, hides and jumps out and bites you etc. I knew it would wreck the furniture so I don't care, they hiding and jumping out is hillarious as the nips are nothing. She also plays fetch better then any dog I have had, seriously I spent 45 mins throwing a toy around the house and she will bring it back and drop it at my feet. She also has only had one "accident" since we got her which is amazing.

The problem is as the tittle suggests, she won't shut up. She is constantly meowing/moaning. I actually mean not a second will go by without her 'talking' as my GF puts it. At the beginning she (GF) said some cats are like that, but now her tune has changed as it is none stop. We live in a large duplex and I am afraid neighbours will complain. Pets are technically not allowed.

This goes on through the night. she will stop for a few hours in between 12-2am for example but will start up again. She has free reign (apart fromt the bedroom) of the three bed place and just moans. I have tried ignoring her (the cat ;)) for days on end, given her more food,woke up and used a water pistol but the sleep deprevation is killing me as it will not shut up. I get up at 5am every morning for work (6 days a week) and I am honestly ready to kill the cat. It is putting allot of strain on my relationship also.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Some cats are very vocal but that does sound a bit much, going by when you got her I'm guessing she's around 5 or 6 months?
    She could be coming into heat and calling for males?
    Not sure what else to suggest, tire her out before bed, get her a friend? Two kitties will keep each other company and tire each other out playing.
    I currently have 2 kittens that were found at 4 weeks and given to me to mind, the first one was here 24 hrs before the other and she bawled non stop until he arrived.
    She should get better as she gets older, they get more sedate as the get older, she still is very much a kitten.
    Have you tried ear plugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Jude13

She is about 5-6 months alright. The vet thinks she is a great cat, had all her shots etc.

She has been this mouthy since she was born so I don't think it's that she is in heat.

I have tried ear plugs but due to the pitch of her moan and the echoes in the house they do not block out her noise.

I think she may just be wild. I have never had a cat before, I have had dogs theat cried as puppies and we would put a hotwater bottle in their bed with a ticking clock etc. They would grow out of it an be quiet at night. This cat should be too old for that right? Plus should we keep her in one room over night or put her in her cage/box thing or cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My one was like that, it sometimes felt like it would never stop. First things first set up a room with some toys, a bed, litter tray, food and water. When you are going to bed at night put her in this room, leave her out in the morning when you wake up, atleast that way she won't be roaming around meowing. She will get into a routine and know that this is what happens when you go to bed.

The only other thing I would mention is that I found out a few months back that my cat has two luxiating patellas, her knee caps slip in and out of place, she was on pain meds for a short time and since the constant talking seems to have stopped for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Another thing I thought of is a feliway diffuser? or some capnip? or rescue remedy(for animals)?
    Think you can get these all online, not suggesting you dope her up, but a bit of play, some catnip or turn on the diffuser, calm quiet time, stroke and pet her, then bed.
    This may help ease her into a routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have had Siamese like that.. and our present female too is mouthy. But as others have said, they calm and sleep more as they get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Give the cat to someone. Your LL will instruct you to at some point anyway, given pets are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Get her a friend - they'll wear each other out. Make sure its a girlfriend or a neutered boyfriend ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would second the Feliway diffuser. I've had the spray for my cat before and didn't think it was very good.

But the diffuser? It's brilliant!! I got one for my cat when moving over. It settled him down really well, and he didn't seem to miss London one bit. It's expensive mind, but so worth it.

Try putting a drop of Bach's Rescue remedy in her food too. One drop will be plenty.

Finally - what are you feeding the fur baby? That might make a difference too.

HTH! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

If shes not hungry give her water and if shes not either hungry or thirsty shes probably just bored and saying 'play with me' or 'pick me up',cats can be devils for that..

Advertisement