Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storage boxes for Arcade PCBs?

• 03-07-2012 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Yesterday I went into Eason as I thought they'd have some good cardboard boxes I could use for storing PCBs in. How wrong I was, all they had was a few crappy postage boxes, that was it.

So I went over to the GPO to see what was in there - same thing again, nothing worthwhile.

Does anyone know a shop in Dublin which would sell boxes like these?

box_1.jpg

Anti static bags would be great too. (I was thinking Maplin for those, but would imagine they'd probably cost 100 Euro each)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Not cheap by any means, but you need these:

http://www.postpack.co.uk/acatalog/antistatic-transit-boxes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Not cheap by any means, but you need these:

http://www.postpack.co.uk/acatalog/antistatic-transit-boxes.html

great_scott-s400x341-252428.png

I've bought PCB's for less than the price of some of those larger boxes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I bought 10 big Corstat anti static shipping boxes at a wholesale for € 10 a piece but they accidentally send me 20 so that evens out at € 5,- :D :

th_DSCF2394.jpg

th_DSCF2714.jpg

Cheapest way is to just wrap them in anti static bubble and store them vertically with a label attached .

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've bought PCB's for less than the price of some of those larger boxes :eek:

Aye, they are super expensive, but they are probably the very best out there. I wouldn't go buying them for any run of the mill PCB. However if you've got bare boards of say, Gradius ROM Version, Xexex, DoDonpachi Campaign Version or anything by Cave really, especially Matsuri boards etc then by all means, these are a sound investment.

Actually scratch that. If you have any of those above boards, except probably Xexex, you'd want to be keeping them in a lead-lined, bomb/fire/water/static-proof safe depoist in a tax haven. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Aye, they are super expensive, but they are probably the very best out there. I wouldn't go buying them for any run of the mill PCB. However if you've got bare boards of say, Gradius ROM Version, Xexex, DoDonpachi Campaign Version or anything by Cave really, especially Matsuri boards etc then by all means, these are a sound investment.

Actually scratch that. If you have any of those above boards, except probably Xexex, you'd want to be keeping them in a lead-lined, bomb/fire/water/static-proof safe depoist in a tax haven. :)

Yeah, true. But any Cave PCB's I've bought (which isnt many) have always come with nice protective boxes. They'd better anyway for the prices they go for.

With a CAVE box you will need a box to protect that box !

599.jpg

PS,

That Corstat box is much more sturdy than a CAVE box !

Is that the 'box for the box' on SHMUPS? Might sound ridiculous to the average Joe, but I'd certainly use one to protect the whole kit. If it's a bare board then a Corstat would be the choice. Or keep the kit and board separate and have the best of both? :)

Reminds me of a certain meme...

"Yo dawg, I heard you like boxes..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think I'll get some of those Corstat ones, they look pretty decent and aren't priced badly either.

All my boards are a bit haphazard at the moment. Most are still in the boxes they were shipped in. Some of which are too big, others are a mess - would like to just have them all neat and tidy.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think I'll get some of those Corstat ones, they look pretty decent and aren't priced badly either.

It's worth the investment. I'll be doing the same soon enough (after hols). I just use pink bubble wrap for now but the chore of finding the right box size every time is getting on my jabs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »

where do you get the Corstat ones from?

Master of the Universe

I did a quick google and found the following

https://www.vodex.co.uk/production-equipment/static-control-products-esd/corstat-conductive-esd-boxes/corstat-conductive-chip-boxes

Casey120 - where'd you order your ones from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheap Corstats would be nice, last time I went looking for them they weren't cheap. Neither was ebay just for standard cardboard boxes. Getting the right size was awkward so for the moment I just keep them in the boxes they came in. Will keep an eye on this thread though.:)

keithgeo wrote: »
    where do you get the Corstat ones from?

Check out the first link I posted. :)

That said I don't know who offers the best price on these. Perhaps folk would be interested in a group purchase to get a better bulk price and save postage? I don't mind organizing a group buy like with the Neominiboxes I set up. :)

EDIT:

@Pantrylad: Wrong ones, you want these (with foam of course): https://www.vodex.co.uk/production-equipment/static-control-products-esd/corstat-conductive-esd-boxes/corstat-transit-packs

:)

Bought mine at Topa.nl but the shipping would rape you !

These are the size I have :

Corstat Transit Packs Transit pack 394 x 318 x 64mm WITH ESD FOAM Assembled - PACK OF 5

Ref: V790-3500-10B-5

£42.50 (Exc. VAT)

Most boards fit perfectly,for really thick ones you can cut the foam padding or buy the one size thicker one :

DSCF3939.jpg

th_DSCF5314500x457.jpg

Casey120 wrote: »
    DSCF3939.jpg

Pantrylad has that game. :D

Game paradise is nutters , flying cocktail space invaders , candy cabs attacking :pac:

Game paradise is nutters , flying cocktail space invaders , candy cabs attacking :pac:

The sequel is absolute boys cock though. I'd love the PCB but will make do with picking up the Saturn LE next week instead. :D

Master of the Universe

Wow, I didn't think there was a box big enough to fit the Game Paradise board, that thing is bloody huge!

Does anyone know if anywhere in Dublin stocks boxes? If we're going to get raped on postage then maybe a walk in shop would be a better option.

Somewhere has to stock them?

Or do a group buy and share the shipping costs !

• Advertisement

Or do a group buy and share the shipping costs !

Yup, if anyone is keen I don't mind managing a group buy again...

Wouldn't be until the start of August though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Id probably go in for a few.

Master of the Universe

You can put me down for a group order too. August sometime would be great.

Right, I'll create a thread and what not later tonight once I get a few more bits sorted. We'll aim for a start of August group buy?

More to follow...

Advertisement