Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

double socket virgin

Options
  • 03-07-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

hi guys,
    i'm planning on putting up 2 double sockets on a plasterboard wall.there is already an existing double socket here already,
    i'm handy @ diy,but never tried electrics Yet!
    all info from tools,cables,tips,even pics greatly appreciated.

also i want to lenghten the cable on a tv,whats the best way to do this?

thanx in advance:)
    by the way, i'm ONLY an electrical virgin:D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

DIY -> Electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

hi guys,
    i'm planning on putting up 2 double sockets on a plasterboard wall.there is already an existing double socket here already,
    i'm handy @ diy,but never tried electrics Yet!
    all info from tools,cables,tips,even pics greatly appreciated.

also i want to lenghten the cable on a tv,whats the best way to do this?

thanx in advance:)
    by the way, i'm ONLY an electrical virgin:D

An old religion teacher we had used to tell us that virginity is sacred and giving it away when you are not ready can result in very bad things!!;)
    So after reading your post I think this time you should take his advice and hold onto your "electrical virginity":D and get yourself an Electrician in to do the work.

It shouldnt cost a lot to add a few sockets and atleast you will know its done right and more importantly left safe..

My personal opinion from what i have came across over the years is most of the time DIY and electrical dont really mix unless the person has at least some grasp of how things work.

Adding extra sockets is a very simple job but there is still a lot of room where dangerous mistakes can be made by someone who wouldnt know enough to spot them.
    Something simple as one loose connection could be disastrous.

As for extending the tv cable.Go to your local wholesaler and ask for 2 F connectors and a joiner and what ever length of cable you want.
    All you will need is a stanley knife and a snips,the easiest thing to do is unplug one of the coax cables on the back of your sky box and copy how it is made off.
    It is very straight forward.

Im not trying to be Mr.unhelpful by the way I just think some jobs should be left to the professionals:)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

paddymick wrote: »
    An old religion teacher we had used to tell us that virginity is sacred and giving it away when you are not ready can result in very bad things!!;)
    So after reading your post I think this time you should take his advice and hold onto your "electrical virginity":D and get yourself an Electrician in to do the work.

It shouldnt cost a lot to add a few sockets and atleast you will know its done right and more importantly left safe..

My personal opinion from what i have came across over the years is most of the time DIY and electrical dont really mix unless the person has at least some grasp of how things work.

Adding extra sockets is a very simple job but there is still a lot of room where dangerous mistakes can be made by someone who wouldnt know enough to spot them.

As for extending the tv cable.Go to your local wholesaler and ask for 2 F connectors and a joiner and what ever length of cable you want.
    All you will need is a stanley knife and a snips,the easiest thing to do is unplug one of the coax cables on the back of your sky box and copy how it is made off.

Im not trying to be Mr.unhelpful by the way I just think some jobs should be left to the professionals:)

Professional advice: You can but this little yoke for €0.45 and root up a short cable somewhere!

coaxial-coupler-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Is it the co-ax tv cable the OP was asking about? Maybe it was the power lead they meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

ye know what,your prob right,mite get a sparky to do a nixer,would you say bout 100 yoyo's would cover it?
    my religion teacher always said that there's no point being the richest dude in the graveyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

ye know what,your prob right,mite get a sparky to do a nixer,would you say bout 100 yoyo's would cover it?

€100 should be plenty.
    my religion teacher always said that there's no point being the richest dude in the graveyard
    I like that I must remember that one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea not really the first job to cut your teeth on! If you are interested in learning just pick up one of them DIY manual's from the likes of B&Q or woodies, usually have the basics in there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

B&Q now do hourly adult DIY classes.

A qualified professional will teach you how to do a bit of skimming,or change a water tap,install a radiator or add on and wire up an extra electrical socket.

You get to do it there yourself,under the guidence of the qualified techer.

Might be worth a trip down to B&Q Liffey Valley to find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

can't see the point of it
    the homeowner doesn't have experience,test meters or wiring rules

Yes diy work with electrical almost always looks like diy. The simplest of things are done wrong or at least not well.

• Advertisement

its daft tbh
    b&q can't teach members of the public to add sockets professionally and safely

I dont work for B&Q.

I just happened to mention it.Thats all.

I like that I must remember that one:D

I thought everyone heard that one.

Although have not heard it in a long time. Maybe Im just old

paddy147 wrote: »
    I dont work for B&Q.

I just happened to mention it. Thats all.

I don`t think he is having a go. Its often just not as straightforward as it would seem, and certainly unlikely to be as straight forward as what would be shown at a course.

no im not having a go at paddy
    do b&q seriously think their customers will do the job properly and safely after a demonstration
    -they wont

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I don`t think he is having a go. Its often just not as straightforward as it would seem, and certainly unlikely to be as straight forward as what would be shown at a course.

Indeed.........the last 7 seconds sums it up perfectly.;):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnN8k9JRihs&feature=related

M cebee wrote: »
    no im not having a go at paddy
    do b&q seriously think their customers will do the job properly and safely after a demonstration
    -they wont

Ah I know you aint having a go at all..:)

There seems to be a market for that sort of thing though,as B&Q have a dedicated workshop area out in Liffey Valley,and they seem to be attracting a fair few people to their classes to learn about various aspects of DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 1sparkey

As my name suggests im a qualified electrician or sparks, sounds like a handy job for an electrician but from my experience , I would advise you to get someone who knows what there doing. Dont get me wrong Id chance my arm at anything but from working with electrics for years , If i was you I wouldnt touch it.

I would also advize letting a qualified electrician look at the job.:)

No point in risking it if you are an absolute newbie to the wonderfull world of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

yeah thats good advice all round,as for thr BnQ classes,i wouldn't see any harm in havin a gawk @ them,
    i mean god does love a tryer,sure there's people dying now who never died before:D
    incidentially ,anyone know a sparky in Ashbourne ?,not sure if thats against the rules

• Advertisement

i mean god does love a tryer,sure there's people dying now who never died before:D

....And Hell loves a sinner too.;):D

Advertisement