Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best pubs/clubs in the city

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

hey,

just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of any good pubs/clubs in the city center?... myself and a few friends are traveling down for the weekend but havent been before so are a bit clueless as to where to go for the best night spots?... any info appreciated...

also any hotel recommendations..... thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What age group and type of music do you like?

A quick run down would be;

Reardens - Mid 20's - early thirties. Country people and GAA people.

The Old Oak - 30's + City folk, but you'll find a fair few younger people and young foreign kids in there.

Crane Lane - 21 - 120, A mixed bag, generally very pleasant, but gets really really packed, has craft beers on draft in the back bar.

An Brog - 19 - 25, Very pleasant and easy going, cheap pints before 11 (3.10 a go)

Bailey - 21 - 30, Pleasant enough, they will ask for ID no matter what (unless you wear blue snake skin shoes...) Tends towards the country people, but still pretty decent over all.

The Slate - 20 - 35, Generally where a lot of bar staff from the Oliver Plunkett street bars drink, a good bar, good enough atmosphere.

The Bodega - 21 - 30, I've only been there once, but was good, downstairs is place to dance and what not, you can just chill out upstairs, which was quiet enough when I was there.

Go for at least one pint in The Vicarstown Inn though on North Main street, looks like an unwelcoming old mans pub on the outside, but is actually really really nice and very welcoming. (I only went there for the first time about 2 weeks ago). Really good bar with a decent beer garden. :) If you or any of your mates are a stout drinker, give Mi Daza a shot in there, it's a very decent stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

Your age would have a lot to do with it tbh.

I'd avoid the bróg at all costs but that's just my opinion.

Soho is a busy bar, over 21s, door 51 is also a good bar.

It really depends what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

thanks for the info guys...much appreciated... we range in 31-34 in age...
    guess we're just looking for somewhere where's a good atmosphere and a bit of eye candy :) ... would also like to go to a good late bar/club because we dont get the chance that often anymore!..
    we're not fussy either once we can have a laugh

If you're not gonna take yourselves too seriously head to Crane Lane first, next Reardens then up to Havana's.

I can't say I'm a fan or Reardens personally (GAA crowds annoy me), but a lot of people do like it and the place itself is well designed and clean. There is plenty of Eye candy about too.

Havana's is a meat market, gets absolutely packed and sweaty at the weekend, serves crap drink and what not, but again, if you aren't taking yourselves too seriously and just up for a laugh then it'll do well.

Crane Lane, it's a late bar, but I can't imagine that you'd wanna sit in a single bar all night if you aren't from the area, I like to diversify so I imagine other people do too :) Though they could have a good band playing, they do tend to have some good people in.

All the bars on my list though are late bars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Mutton Lane.
    The Oval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Bowery (kind of mid twenties to mid thirties) and the Bodega are good spots, the pavilion, the slate, 32 Marlboro Street, electric - loads of places to chose from :-)

Plenty of eye candy in those places (like myself - lol kidding :-P)

there's an 80s night in the oliver plunkett. Glenroe night. Old oak is next door and suits that age range too.

wow thanks for all the suggestions guys... really helpful...

leahyl... i'm sure you're eye candy...where'd ye say you normally go again? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The woolshed...........nuff said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Electric - to be seen!

Counihans - younger crowd upstairs, older crowd downstairs

Bru - best beer selection in town and a really laid back bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

hotel wise, the imperial on the mall has you in the heart of the city (and a stones throw from the pubs/clubs mentioned),

otherwise the metropole on mccurtain street,

or Jurys on western road (about a 10 minute walk to reardons)

hoodwinked wrote: »
    hotel wise, the imperial on the mall has you in the heart of the city (and a stones throw from the pubs/clubs mentioned),

otherwise the metropole on mccurtain street,

or Jurys on western road (about a 10 minute walk to reardons)

+1 on the imperial - lovely hotel and you're smack bang in the city centre there. They usually do good offers as well.

i booked the clarion... is that too far out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

boardie100 wrote: »
    i booked the clarion... is that too far out?

not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Folester27

With brannigans after closing me and my friends need a new place to go.. something abit younger as we're all only 18..we liked brannigans because it had a dj instead of a band..anywhere else like that around thats not 21's? any suggestions welcome, we baaadly need a new spot :D

Folester27 wrote: »
    With brannigans after closing me and my friends need a new place to go.. something abit younger as we're all only 18..we liked brannigans because it had a dj instead of a band..anywhere else like that around thats not 21's? any suggestions welcome, we baaadly need a new spot :D

The thomond, Door 51, The Bailey, Catwalk.

I wouldn't worry too much bout Brannigans closing. Will be open again before the new Premiership season starts no doubt. Prob just under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Folester27

rebelccfc wrote: »

I wouldn't worry too much bout Brannigans closing. Will be open again before the new Premiership season starts no doubt. Prob just under a different name.

Yeah brannigans tend to do that but theres rumours going around its more serious this time. Thanks anyway, but isnt the bailey 21's?

Yeah brannigans tend to do that but theres rumours going around its more serious this time. Thanks anyway, but isnt the bailey 21's?

Really? heard the opposite myself off a Liverpool fan i know who drinks in there. But shur, rumours are just that, rumours.

Em, I didn't think it was. I've seen pictures on facebook of people i know in there who are under 21. Might just be look of the draw as bouncers are so unpredictable.

That's something I never thought I'd hear, someone preferring a "DJ" instead of a band in a bar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

rebelccfc wrote: »

Ah here, you can't be telling people to go to The Catwalk, sure you might as well say go to the Holyhill Inn while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

yenom wrote: »
    Ah here, you can't be telling people to go to The Catwalk, sure you might as well say go to the Holyhill Inn while you're at it.

I went to the catwalk... Once. Never again. One of the girls I was with said she didn't feel safe inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Does anybody know if An Brog charges in on a Friday? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

wha wrote: »
    Does anybody know if An Brog charges in on a Friday? :o
    It's always free.

dj_ wrote: »
    I went to the catwalk... Once. Never again. One of the girls I was with said she didn't feel safe inside.

All you have to do is take a walk past that place to know you should stay away from it....

Advertisement