Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fillet Steaks with Gristle

• 03-07-2012 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

In May, Tesco admitted guilt to 15 charges of selling out of date food.

So anyway, I was looking through some of the sirloin steaks and noticed they had a lot of gristle in them, then i checked the fillet steak section and even those had gristle in them which didn't make any sense.

Do fillet steaks normally have gristle in them or are tesco advertising meat as fillet when it's really something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

AH =====> Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont eat meat so i have no idea, i thought grissle on meat was due to poor butchering not date? In relation to the newspaper article, if that happened in ireland, i doubt anything would be done as we dont have a trading standards. The environment health dont seem to have the same interest in persuing issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fkface wrote: »
    In May,

2011, in the UK, and not steak. Story has nothing to do with your issue. An no, we don't have trading standards, but we do have EHOs and they do take a very big interest in stories similar to that posted from the UK

What do you mean by gristle ? Fillet steak will have marbling in it, some people believe that's what makes it so tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fkface

There was also a case brought against Tesco earlier this year
    TESCO has pleaded guilty to breaches of food safety law for selling chicken that had gone off at one of its outlets.
    The supermarket giant has agreed to pay €12,000 to charity and costs for the case taken by the HSE concerning the Tesco Extra outlet in Carton Park, Maynooth, Co Kildare.

Fillet steak isn't supposed to have gristle in it so why are tesco or other butchers advertising this meat as "fillet" when it clearly isn't?

Okay, you'll get fillet with some marbling in it but this was gristle, something you can't chew or eat.

Forget about it, I'll just have to be more careful about what I'm buying in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are you describing as gristle though?

Would you describe the white layer outside this steak as gristle
    http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-hires/50601100_H.jpg?identifier=0e4b7f422f9ba0d6059fb6995993e4b0

Or are you talking about internal to the steak
    http://www.finecooking.com/assets/uploads/posts/5070/ING-beef-chuck-eye-steak_sql.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Normally on a pre trimmed fillet there is a thing called a chain which is a small very fatty piece attached to the lean fillet ....My main gripe with tesco steaks are Rump steaks that are sold as sirloin steaks ..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Rump, Chump & Sirloin are technically correct names for the one cut of steak ... What alot of people call a Sirloin steak such as you get in a restaurant is actually a Striploin.
    In Ireland & the uk we seem to swap names of cuts to easily & Supermarkets play on this...only last year TESCO uk was sited for labeling Roast Beef inaccurately when it was infact flank beef they were selling.
    Getting back to OP issue with gristle;go to a decent butcher & ask for table trimmed fillet. They will remove the silverskin from the head of the fillet right in front of you.
    TESCO's don't...support local, buy local

Advertisement