Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with neighbours dog

• 03-07-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi regular user going anon,

i know this is not as bad as some of the problems here but it is seriously interferring with my life now.

our neighbour a few doors down got a new dog a while ago, please note i am an animal lover.
    everytime they put the dog in the garden, and i mean EVERYTIME, the dog barks repeatidly until it is let back in. the dog barks and barks and barks accompined by crying and whining.
    i know the dog cant be inside all the time as it has to get out to go to toilet etc etc but sometimes it is left outside barking for hours and it is non stop.

the other night they let it out at 11 o clock for ten or fifteen minutes which it woke us up as the windows are open due to it being so hot. last night they let it out for ages again at a similar time and we heard a man-not sure who-shouting put the dog back in etc....

this morning really took the biscuit though, at ten past five they let the dog out for over an hour, we could hear it barking and crying and jumping at the back door or gate. we couldnt sleep as it was so loud and we live a few doors down.

what would you suggest we do? i dont want to approach neighbours so could i ring the gaurds? is it animal cruelty? what about an anonomous letter? am i over reacting? there are many dogs on the street, other who bark occasionally obviously as they are dogs! but this dog is different

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

its not animal cruelty and its nothing to do with the guards, you can write an anom letter and stick it in their door stating how the dog is disturbing the peace with barking at unsociable hours, and maybe say if it continues that you will be left with no other option than to report to the guards, not that they will do anything but the threat might make them do something

tbh op I really dont see what they can do other than get rid of the dog, it takes time for a dog to settle in to its surrounding and letting it outside and barking is like the self soothing method with babies, its cruel to be kind kinda thing which not everyone agrees with but lots of people do, the dog will eventually get used to the situation and will eventually calm down. If it has a good dog kennel, and toys to play with then it should be distracted from what going on indoors, but it takes time...

I am not recommending an anon letter a nice chat to dog owner is definitely the way to go and a bit of patience but if op wants to send a letter that's their call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Actually excessive dog barking is an offence and something can be done about it.

OP how new is the dog? It is probably taking time to get used to its surroundings but I can understand how frustrating it must be. The first step is to talk to your neighbour though. Don't go down the route of an anonymous note, just a friendly word with them to let them know that it is a disturbance. If things don't change then you can take further action.

The guidelines for dealing with barking dogs as a disturbance is as follows:
    Barking dogs
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. The District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

Source with links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what would you suggest we do? i dont want to approach neighbours so could i ring the gaurds? is it animal cruelty? what about an anonomous letter? am i over reacting? there are many dogs on the street, other who bark occasionally obviously as they are dogs! but this dog is different

I wouldn't send an anonymous letter, or call the Gardaí,

if the dog is causing a disturbance i believe it is the local dog Warden you would call.

especially if it is outside the garden without a lead, or someone watching it.

i believe you can call them anonymously and they will come out and have a word with the dog owner.

trying and having some patience is fair enough, but they shouldn't be letting the dog out making noise so late at night or early in the morning, they could train it during the day surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

hoodwinked wrote: »
    I wouldn't send an anonymous letter, or call the Gardaí,

if the dog is causing a disturbance i believe it is the local dog Warden you would call.

especially if it is outside the garden without a lead, or someone watching it.
    i believe you can call them anonymously and they will come out and have a word with the dog owner.

trying and having some patience is fair enough, but they shouldn't be letting the dog out making noise so late at night or early in the morning, they could train it during the day surely?

Sorry but a dog does not have to be on a lead out in its own back garden, nor does it have to have someone watching it either.

Why not have a nice word with the neighbour and explain your problem, give them a chance to do something about it.
    No need for anonymous letters, go talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but a dog does not have to be on a lead out in its own back garden, nor does it have to have someone watching it either.

that is why i said
    if it is outside the garden without a lead, or someone watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Had the same problem with the dog next door to me. Suffered for three months after moving in then I went next door and very politely asked her to not leave him out barking. She responded very well and it hasn't been an issue since. The point I'd stress though is that I made it very easy for her to react well by being nice and polite. If you go in making complaints or issuing ultimatums, it's almost impossible for them to react well.
    As for dogs settling in, it depends on the dog. Possibly that's true for some breeds but others, like Jack Russells or Yorkshire Terriers will just bark endlessly their entire lives.
    Personally, i think complaints to the council or courts is excessive and only justified if the neighbours have ignored personal requests. People can be quite self-absorbed and don;t even think of the disturbance to others. Do the anonymous note if you like but I'm all for direct, but polite, contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - I am moving your thread to the Animal & Pet Issues forum that is dedicated to all pet related topics.

All - before posting please ensure you are now following the A&PI charter, the PI charter no longer applies.

Taltos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it's a new pup settling in then fair enough they might need to let it 'bark it out' and train it to get used to being on it's own. BUT at the same time they need to be considerate of their neighbours and train it at at time when it's not going to wake people up. If you don't want to approach her can you hold out until somebody else does - you said one of the other neighbours were shouting at it? If not you'll have to approach them yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

I'd sooner go down and p1ss off the neighbour than lose further sleep over something that can be fixed very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My cure was to go to their door an make a nuisance of myself everytime day or night when the dog was interupting my sleep etc., they soon got the message. Be polite but persistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

If I were you, I would have a polite word with your neighbour, and I would do it soon, before the dog barking at unsociable hours becomes the "norm". They will either do something about it, or they wont. At least you will know where you stand. If they don't do anything, you can go on to the next stage, e.g. calling dog warden, guards etc. You should not have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i'm one of those people with a noisy dog :-(
    if i were you i'd say it in a nice way. if you meet out on a walk you could always ask how the dog is settling in for them and then mention you've heard it bark a few times. thats kinda what happened me and i was so embarrased straight away. i'm still working on his barking but i am trying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

ask the rest of your neighbours about it, i'm sure your not the only one that is fed up with the barking. Go to his door with a few other neighbours, but be polite. I guarantee when he/she sees a few neighbours there, they'll get the message pretty quick.

Advertisement