Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour building wall

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

My neighbour is currently building a wall around his garden. To do this he removed the metal fence dividing our front gardens (with my agreement). 3-bed semi detached adjoining properties.

However I have since been told that he plans on plastering his side of his almost complete new garden wall, but leaving my side in what I consider an unfinished state, ie unplastered, leaving the block work visible. ( Standard grey cement building blocks).

Would this be considered unfair, or is this considered the 'Normal' way to finish a wall?

I had a nice metal fence dividing our gardens, now it appears I'll have a brick wall, left with my side in what I consider an unfinished state?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

That's really bad form on your neighbours part. Did you ask your neighbour to plaster your side?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did you make any financial or workload contribution to the new wall?

did you agree to him building a "block wall" in place of the fence?

Its a bit much to expect your neighbour to go to all the expense.

Now is the time to offer to pay for the rendering of your side as you will benefit from economies of scale, because the plasterer will be there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Did you both agree a finish to the complete wall before work started, i.e. that your side be plastered?
    If he is footing the total cost of a new, structurally sound, more private wall than a fence, unless otherwise agreed, he has done nothing wrong.

Why can you not get the plasterer to do your side when he is there, for a few quid, if it is going to be an "eyesore" to you? Will be more expensive if you get someone later in just to do this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hi all,

My neighbour is currently building a wall around his garden. To do this he removed the metal fence dividing our front gardens (with my agreement). 3-bed semi detached adjoining properties.

However I have since been told that he plans on plastering his side of his almost complete new garden wall, but leaving my side in what I consider an unfinished state, ie unplastered, leaving the block work visible. ( Standard grey cement building blocks).

Would this be considered unfair, or is this considered the 'Normal' way to finish a wall?

I had a nice metal fence dividing our gardens, now it appears I'll have a brick wall, left with my side in what I consider an unfinished state?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ill be honest, i am surprised your neighbour didnt try first and negotiate you both funding the new wall. you have 2 options id say, tap the plasterer to plaster ur side, and fund that, or grow a nice hedge...your nieghbours now, so dont fall out over it. Hes basically giving you a free wall, was the metal fence nicer???

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

have to agree with previous posters i would have thought it normal to pay some contribution to the building of the wall if all your getting away with is plastering your side you should be delighted, def wouldnt call it unfair or worth getting excited about that its left as a bare block finish after your neighbour pouring footings blocks labour and cost of material.He mite even be a bit surprised you didnt offer some contribution!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rubbernecking

He asked me last week if I'd object to him building a wall, to which I said no. The fence that was there was quite nice, has been there for the past 8 years and seems to be fine for the 100+ other residents that have the same set-up.

This guy, however, moved into the estate 2 years ago, and to be honest is the kind of person that would make you see the attraction in living in a detached house! Parking his van or his wife's car outside my house on a daily basis, and as a result necessitating me parking my car in my drive and my partners car in our garden(on the grass). Not to mention his barking dog which has been barking since 2010:-)... But that is a very sore point, so I won't even go there.

Tbh, this wall is the last in a line of issues that I along with other neighbors have with this guy... He, with everything else he does , seems to show no regard for the neighbors that have lived in the adjoining houses for almost 10 years, and I feel the wall will be what brings it all to a head(as the saying goes).

I just feel that since he wanted to build a wall, and it required removing the fence dividing our gardens, that he should make sure the wall is completed to what all involved consider a nice finish. I was quite happy with the fence and had no interest in the wall been built but didn't want to object to its building just for the sake of it.

Anyhow, now 2am, just in from work, and need to get some sleep b4 his dog starts barking at 6 am , as is the norm.:mad:

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts on this matter.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hi,

i have to comment that in the vast majority of cases of block boundary walls throughout the country, an exposed block finish is the norm.

Whatever problems you have is beside the point. At the end of the day you agreed to allow him build the wall, and didnt agree to a specific finish.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

HI Op
    The boundary wall finished straight true in good structural condition - is acceptable in block finish, unless another finish (rendered) - was agreed upon at the outset.
    I don't see much recourse for you in this case, particularly as the other posters mentioned - You agreed to let him remove the fence and build the wall, you didn't contribute to the cost, your contribution could now be to the plasterer to render your side at your own expense ( however don't wait till you see the plaster working on the neighbors side, because he will want to apply a scut coat one day and then return to apply render to the surface - better to line him up and get a good price to do your side during his normal work process ).

The wall itself - Some good practice to be adhered to.
    The construction detail at the top of the wall should have precast copings / slopes to allow water to be shed from the top of the wall.
    Masonry piers - A general rule of thumb for piers in 1.7-1.8m high boundary walls is to have them at 4.5m centres.
    Mike F

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rubbernecking

Thanks for all replies,

Suppose I'm stuck with it as is, or it's up to me to have it rendered.

Hadn't seen it like that tbh, but you learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.

(oh and his dog is still barking:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

(oh and his dog is still barking:-)
    On that score, again, you need to talk to him but if that fails then see here

Best of luck with the wall and the dog :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Also some people would be of the view that un-plastered wall tends to stay cleaner looking (presuming the wall is pointed). As rended/ plastered wall tends to turn black after time. Or maybe look in to the possibly of white Sand / White Cement plaster finish as discussed in another thread.

Advertisement