Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low salt bread

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any kind of low salt bread? A single slice of Brennan's sliced bread accounts for 7% of the daily recommended salt intake :eek: so for example I'm get 65-70% of the recommended amount through bread alone, not even including butter etc

Hidden salt in bread.. not impressed! Apparently bread from bakeries are even higher in salt. I cant get over how this hasnt been highlighted by media as I'm only learning about this recently

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

10 slices of bread a day sounds like an awful lot. I doubt you'll get low-salt bread very easily, so I'd say it would be much easier to eat less bread. I'd think wholemeal bread would have less salt than white processed bread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Or alternatively make your own bread. I bake bread and only add a teaspoon per loaf - at least that way you'll know how much is in there and will be able to know definitively what you're taking in.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get through 10 slices of bread a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Sorry for late response... Still having no luck really. I'm buying wholewheat bread but thats mainly fibre intake rather than salt. Salt is pretty much the same.

Merkin, to answer your question, this is generally (sometimes more/less) how bread intake is for me:

2 Slices in morning (toast)
    3 Slices for lunch
    2 Slices before hitting gym
    2 Slices for toast before going to bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

PS I emailed Brennans but they never responded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ando wrote: »
    Sorry for late response... Still having no luck really. I'm buying wholewheat bread but thats mainly fibre intake rather than salt. Salt is pretty much the same.

Merkin, to answer your question, this is generally (sometimes more/less) how bread intake is for me:

2 Slices in morning (toast)
    3 Slices for lunch
    2 Slices before hitting gym
    2 Slices for toast before going to bed..

Just a question - are you ever bloated?

That's an awful lot of bread and since you go to the gym I'd recommend re-evaluating your diet to get the best out of your workouts.

PS. I know this isn't the H&F forum and you can tell me to shut up :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement