Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Dropping Daily at 11.05 p.m.

• 03-07-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm with Irish Broadband through work. I've noticed over the past few months that it drops at 11.05 p.m. almost every night. It was 10.05 until the clocks went forward.

I downloaded routerstats to check for line noise, but there is no noise when it drops. It just drops the connection and I need to reset the router to get it back up again.

It's annoying as it takes about 10 mins for the router to reboot. It's a Netgear DG834N router and has the latest firmware installed.

Anything obvious I should check before I contact Irish Broadband?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That sounds like an IP renewal. I know BT used to do it hourly on my mates connection which was stupidly often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If it is an IP renewal, it's a stupid time to do it. Do they need to do it so often?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ksimpson wrote: »
    If it is an IP renewal, it's a stupid time to do it. Do they need to do it so often?

Well, if they've chosen to they wont change just for you, so unless you can get them to give you a static you're stuck.

I thought I did have a static IP. I'll give them a call and check.

I got in touch with IB. They viewed their log and can see it dropping at 11.04 p.m. every evening. They're going to do a line test, but their suspicion is that it's the house alarm which is wired to a monitoring station.

This is a pretty recent occurrence. It only started happening about 4 months ago and the alarm is in the house for years. I presume a call is made to the monitoring station every time the alarm is armed and disarmed and it doesn't drop then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement