Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC securewatch Dialler menu

Options
  • 03-07-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hello,

Still trying to get my HKC GSM unit to send/ receive arm/disarm/reports SMS's to my three mobile. Until March this year it was used solely for central monitoring and while there is a Digi modem attached for a landline it was never used as we only have a voip line from Digiweb (fixed wireless metro package) so no eircom landline was ever connected at all.

Problem is when I go into the dialler menu the system gives me the mesage that a DMC is detected and when its defaulted I get the eircom sms centre numbers restored. This leads me to the conclusion that the panel thinks its a digi modem + landline connected to it instead of an actual GSM modem. It will dial my phone and give me a beep when I put in an O2 sim but wont send sms or receive them whatsoever, even when I replace the sms centre two numbers with the O2 smsc number. With the O2 card in the GSM indicator lights were showing no errors but did run through €10 of credit in about two hours last night.

I am with 3 and so is wife so really want a three GSM card in there instead of O2. Three to Three texts are free for us and signal is OK too.

Could the original installer who set the system up for central monitoring have just linked the GSM to the digi modem rather than as an actual GSM or am I totally wrong and confused? I had a guy arranged to come and reprogram the system last month but he cancelled and never reverted so now am determined to get the sms working. Then move on to heating and gate control eventually in 2020.

My plan was to get the sms workin on the O2 network first and then get it to work on three-but can't get past step 1 and am frustrated but deternmined to get it working.

Appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance

Mr Black

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

mrblack wrote: »
    Hello,

Still trying to get my HKC GSM unit to send/ receive arm/disarm/reports SMS's to my three mobile. Until March this year it was used solely for central monitoring and while there is a Digi modem attached for a landline it was never used as we only have a voip line from Digiweb (fixed wireless metro package) so no eircom landline was ever connected at all.

Problem is when I go into the dialler menu the system gives me the mesage that a DMC is detected and when its defaulted I get the eircom sms centre numbers restored. This leads me to the conclusion that the panel thinks its a digi modem + landline connected to it instead of an actual GSM modem. It will dial my phone and give me a beep when I put in an O2 sim but wont send sms or receive them whatsoever, even when I replace the sms centre two numbers with the O2 smsc number. With the O2 card in the GSM indicator lights were showing no errors but did run through €10 of credit in about two hours last night.

I am with 3 and so is wife so really want a three GSM card in there instead of O2. Three to Three texts are free for us and signal is OK too.

Could the original installer who set the system up for central monitoring have just linked the GSM to the digi modem rather than as an actual GSM or am I totally wrong and confused? I had a guy arranged to come and reprogram the system last month but he cancelled and never reverted so now am determined to get the sms working. Then move on to heating and gate control eventually in 2020.

My plan was to get the sms workin on the O2 network first and then get it to work on three-but can't get past step 1 and am frustrated but deternmined to get it working.

Appreciate any advice

Thanks in advance

Mr Black

He may just have it connected as a line out of the GSM to the digi modem installed in the control panel. Can you take pictures of both?
    Another thing to note is, you are changing the central station numbers. To delete these go into each one and press no then yes. This will delete the number. Then go into the sms setup and set your address and phone numbers in there. How old is the GSM?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sometimes the easier option is to default the dialler & set up the SMS from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Hello Altor,

The alarm and GSM were installed in our new build in Sept 2009. The GSM is dated Sept 08 and panel is dated July 08 as per attached photos. Apologies for darkness as I have the electricity turned off to the utility room where its installed.

Until today I hadn't realised that a digimodem was installed on the panel GS~M was the only way to have monitoring at the time.

The panel doesn't seem to notice the GSM unit is attached at all.

MrBlack

Hello Altor,

The alarm and GSM were installed in our new build in Sept 2009. The GSM is dated Sept 08 and panel is dated July 08 as per attached photos. Apologies for darkness as I have the electricity turned off to the utility room where its installed.

Until today I hadn't realised that a digimodem was installed on the panel GS~M was the only way to have monitoring at the time.

The panel doesn't seem to notice the GSM unit is attached at all.

MrBlack

Hi mrblack,

What I would do is send the GSM back to HKC to be re-chipped. It would also be advisable to have the control panel flashed with the latest software. This will allow it work with the 3 network. as the version you have on the GSM I think does not. I know there was an update of the chip to allow this. Then get either a ribbon digi lead or the PCB cards that slot onto the GSM and control panel. The set up you have is not going to allow the GSM text you on the 3 network as far as I know. It will work with other networks. Also remove the dialer off the control panel. Make sure the unit is powered down completely when doing so.

Hi Altor,

Thanks for that info!
    I am a bit disappointed that the setup won't work as is but thems the breaks. Am I just unlucky with my setup as no-one else here seems to have theirs installed like this, or was this a common installation method till recently?

In it sdefence when the monitoring was working it did work flawlessly for 3 1/2 years and at the time I didn't mention to the installer that I may decide in the future to self monitor.

Mrblack

altor wrote: »
    Hi mrblack,

What I would do is send the GSM back to HKC to be re-chipped. It would also be advisable to have the control panel flashed with the latest software. This will allow it work with the 3 network. as the version you have on the GSM I think does not. I know there was an update of the chip to allow this. Then get either a ribbon digi lead or the PCB cards that slot onto the GSM and control panel. The set up you have is not going to allow the GSM text you on the 3 network as far as I know. It will work with other networks. Also remove the dialer off the control panel. Make sure the unit is powered down completely when doing so.

• Advertisement

Hi Altor,

Thanks for that info!
    I am a bit disappointed that the setup won't work as is but thems the breaks. Am I just unlucky with my setup as no-one else here seems to have theirs installed like this, or was this a common installation method till recently?

In it sdefence when the monitoring was working it did work flawlessly for 3 1/2 years and at the time I didn't mention to the installer that I may decide in the future to self monitor.

Mrblack

All the GSM is doing is providing an analog line for the digi modem in the control panel. This is only used for monitoring through a monitoring station. If you where not with 3 then just adding the ribbon lead or the pcb cards would allow you use the GSM to monitor and control the alarm system. I would suggest ringing HKC to confirm the version you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I had the same problem with the HKC dialler ... Spent ages trying to get it to text my phone ... After many defaults ... I stuck someone's number ( won't mention his name haha) into it and it worked straight away ..... Then I was told it won't text three numbers :)

Just talked to technical support at HKC and unfortunately none of HKC's GSM units will work with Three sims at all. They have tested them but have had no success in getting them to work unfortunately. O2 VF, Meteor & Emobile will all work 100%.

Advice was to just replace three sim with one from any of the above providers which gets free texts for nominated numbers when topped up occassionally.

MrBlack

But will it work ie O2 to three from the GSM

HKC confirmed that the GSM unit will indeed work with and send/receive sms's to a three sim when the GSM unit is itself fitted with a VF/O2/Meteor/Emobile.

Seperately the digitext modem wont send to a three sim though as lots of other posts have said.
    But will it work ie O2 to three from the GSM

• Advertisement

HKC confirmed that the GSM unit will indeed work with and send/receive sms's to a three sim when the GSM unit is itself fitted with a VF/O2/Meteor/Emobile.

Seperately the digitext modem wont send to a three sim though as lots of other posts have said.

It is to do with the three sim, It uses something different to the other networks.
    The digi modem wont text a three phone using a phone line with Eircom or Vodafone as three have no contract in place with these company's for the billing of the text that would be sent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The issues with Eircom , Vodafone & Three have been discussed in these threads.

altor wrote: »

It is to do with the three sim, It uses something different to the other networks.
    The digi modem wont text a three phone using a phone line with Eircom or Vodafone as three have no contract in place with these company's for the billing of the text that would be sent.

Finally I know why XD spent ages trying to get it to work

Happy to report that my GSM unit is working at long last this evening after fitting the RS485 comm cards to GSM and panel .
    Thanks to all for the assistance especially Koolkid and Altor.

Now have to switch my mobile from 3 to O2 after the 30 days notice to cancel with 3.

Next thing is to get it to open/close the gate!

Happy to report that my GSM unit is working at long last this evening after fitting the RS485 comm cards to GSM and panel .
    Thanks to all for the assistance especially Koolkid and Altor.

Now have to switch my mobile from 3 to O2 after the 30 days notice to cancel with 3.

Next thing is to get it to open/close the gate!

Thanks for getting back to us and good to see you have it all working.
    The gate should be no problem once the GSM is set up, just make sure your sparks sets up the relay for the gates.

Advertisement