Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC recent Build......audio advice

Options
  • 03-07-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

Just built my HTPC (well 3mths ago)

P8P67, Intel Core i5-2500K & 8GB DDR3 Ultimate Bundle
    OCZ Technology 60GB Agility 3 SSD Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Asus ATI Radeon 5450 HD 1GB PCI-Express 2.1 HDMI
    OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 500W - UK

Stuck it in with a 1tb samsung I had and in a nox media 2 case.

Am currently outputting via optical to my yamaha receiver, and this works well.

But any idea how to make the audio better, ie is the built in sound good enough on this? Would adding an external DAC in between computer and receiver make a difference?

BTW i know video card is crap but I only got it as there is no HDMI on motherboard, i use a ps3 for games, is this the best option for me?? I heard the built in video is better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Not sure how big your case is, but i got one of these Xonar DXs lately and it is far, far better than the on board sound on my mobo. Got a pair of SP2500's as well and can really tell the difference on those, headphones not so much. It comes with a shorter metal back plate so it will fit smaller cases as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Case is not huge, I wanted a zalman but am in romania at the moment and counldnt get one anywhere here, this was the only one wasnt gonna cost me arm and leg. Will get bigger case when home.

i have the computer connected with s/pdif to my yamaha home theatre system. Thanks for suggestion on sound card, heres whats built into mobo.

Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    Audio Feature :
    - Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
    - Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
    - DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

If you're outputting via optical to your Yamaha receiver, then your sound card is irrelevant.

Properly set up, the Yamaha should be getting undecoded AC3 or DTS streams. Play a movie with DTS audio and look at the display on your Yamaha to confirm it is getting a DTS stream.

Does your Yahama support lossless via HDMI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

getting DTS,etc where applicable from movie downloads, so that aspect works hunky dorey.

Its mainly the music I am trying to see how to improve sound of. Hence I read about getting an external DAC using it via usb from comp and optical to yamaha, that it may improve that. I have a lot of mp3s and any improvemnt in sound would be god, and yes I have started using lossless files now...but I still have thousands of nice 80s songs in mp3 format.

Unfortunately the yamaha is the lower model which doesn't allow the full passthru, hence I need to use an optical cable also for teh sound

Advertisement