Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iker Casillas - 'Respect for Italia'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay, I might be the on my own here!

But I don't really feel the same sense of "oh what a great guy" that maybe the OP has as a result of the video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This him asking for the ref to blow up early?

Youtube blocked in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

noodler wrote: »

But I don't really feel the same sense of "oh what a great guy" that maybe the OP has as a result of the video!

No, I don't have any opinion on him for doing it as I don't know if he meant it in a derogatory or respectful way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

dreamers75 wrote: »

Youtube blocked in work.

Yep. According to the subtitles, he basically turns to the extra ref behind the goal and says:

"Ref, respect for the rival, respect for Italy. It's 4-0"

dreamers75 wrote: »

Youtube blocked in work.

It is indeed.
    double GG wrote: »
    No, I don't have any opinion on him for doing it as I don't know if he meant it in a derogatory or respectful way.

I am sure he meant is as respectful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Well its not like he was looking for praise about it so I guess it was an act of respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'd definitely consider this done out of respect. The game was won, and he clearly knew they were in injury time and wanted the Assistant to blow up the game.

Fair play to him I think, even the way he handles himself when the whistle is blown ( calmly shaking hands and thanking the official ) when you can see other Spanish players going mad in the background ( and rightly so! ) shows to me that he conducts himself well...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I tend to agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

jasonb wrote: »
    I'd definitely consider this done out of respect. The game was won, and he clearly knew they were in injury time and wanted the Assistant to blow up the game.

Fair play to him I think, even the way he handles himself when the whistle is blown ( calmly shaking hands and thanking the official ) when you can see other Spanish players going mad in the background ( and rightly so! ) shows to me that he conducts himself well...

J.

Totally agree anyone who would follows Real Madrid or the Spanish football team would know that Casillas it one of the most respectful players out there and always handles himself well, enuring he thanks officals first etc.

He seems a genuinely nice guy and is very well respected within football and media etc.

This happened with about 10 secs to go into extra time, so I think he was being honest and repectful to put the Italians out of their misery as Spain were heading up for another goal.

However I do think the video will be used to bash both him and Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I'd say he backed Spain to win 4 nil and was bricking it Torres would be gifted another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

libra02 wrote: »
    However I do think the video will be used to bash both him and Spain.

I don't know why anyone would bash him, but I didn't really see it as such an amazing gesture. I read it being described as "one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship you will ever see". Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I don't know why anyone would bash him, but I didn't really see it as such an amazing gesture. I read it being described as "one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship you will ever see". Hardly.

I agree, its all a bit meh. He was asking for it to end about 20 seconds before the end, not after mata scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

There is not alot of sportmanship in football these days, it has been on the decrease for a bit now. Ok so the above quote you gave is a tad extreme but nowdays it would be very rare for any football player to do that.

I think the majority would still want to keep going for the kiiler blow- another goal or whatever.

Personally I think it was a genuine decent and sportmanship thing to do and to not like it was 3 minutes to go or Italy could have won. As I said he seem to be a genuinely decent guy from all ccounts and I think it says alot about him as a captain and the Spanish team in general.

However I have already seen it been used to call him personally and Spain arrogrant, ignorant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

I definitely wouldn't call it arrogant or anything of the sort, I just don't think it's any big deal. I wouldn't class it as an amazing gesture anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's like you think the smugness of the Spanish football hegemony and its breathless followers has reached a logical apex ans then it goes and mutates into new forms.

stovelid wrote: »
    It's like you think the smugness of the Spanish football hegemony and its breathless followers has reached a logical apex ans then it goes and mutates into new forms.

I can say I wouldn't want to hear an opposition player say that to a Ref in a game I was playing and being hammered in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It comes across as arrogance and pi**-taking to me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember him not celebrating when Gomes made a 'Gomes' during the Spurs vs Real match last year. Granted, they were already killing us, but its seemed like he didn't want to celebrate another keeper making suck a howler. He seems like a decent fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can say I wouldn't want to hear an opposition player say that to a Ref in a game I was playing and being hammered in.

I'm sure it's well-meaning but it comes across as 'referee, please end the torment of a merely mortal team that has to somehow compete in the sanctified stratosphere of our football as we have compassion for those whom we righteously smite. Amen'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

It's nothing special,but reading some tweets yesterday,it was some heroic act of sporting greatness.
    Fair play to Spain,the best ever,but fatiguespana has set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some of you lot are jaded, cynical and in some cases plain wrong. This wasn't arrogance of any kind. The game was over and prolonging it was pointless. That's all Casillas was saying.

In some sports you can condede a match in situations like this but not in football which can be harsh at times. Ref's often blow up early when one team is getting hammered and I think both teams appreciate this. I know I have in the past.

Sometimes I think nobody on this forum ever played team sports in their lives. I was a keeper for my team as a lad for over ten years. I remember one match when I was 15 or so and we were getting hammered 8-1. The ref blew up ten minutes early and I certainly know I appreciated it as we were clearly outclassed and nothing could be served by letting them score a few more except to rub it in. We were just happy to get off the pitch at that stage.

Even in the professional game I've seen it done alot where a ref blows right on the 90 and adds no injury time at all even if he should.

Thats all that was going on here. It wasn't some snarky, arrogant "We are soooo good there is no point in playing" comment that some are suggesting. Likewise it wasn't some grand gesture worthy of knighthood and awards, it was just a nice chap asking the officials to show some respect for the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kirby wrote: »
    Sometimes I think nobody on this forum ever played team sports in their lives.

My guess is about 10% actually play the game here. And the loudest come from the remaining 90%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Quick, someone make an appreciation thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

greendom wrote: »
    It comes across as arrogance and pi**-taking to me

Typical Real, tbf. If it was Xavi or Iniesta i'd buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Some of you lot are jaded, cynical and in some cases plain wrong. This wasn't arrogance of any kind. The game was over and prolonging it was pointless. That's all Casillas was saying.

In some sports you can condede a match in situations like this but not in football which can be harsh at times. Ref's often blow up early when one team is getting hammered and I think both teams appreciate this. I know I have in the past.

Sometimes I think nobody on this forum ever played team sports in their lives. I was a keeper for my team as a lad for over ten years. I remember one match when I was 15 or so and we were getting hammered 8-1. The ref blew up ten minutes early and I certainly know I appreciated it as we were clearly outclassed and nothing could be served by letting them score a few more except to rub it in. We were just happy to get off the pitch at that stage.

Even in the professional game I've seen it done alot where a ref blows right on the 90 and adds no injury time at all even if he should.

Thats all that was going on here. It wasn't some snarky, arrogant "We are soooo good there is no point in playing" comment that some are suggesting. Likewise it wasn't some grand gesture worthy of knighthood and awards, it was just a nice chap asking the officials to show some respect for the opposition.

Christ.

If anything your post was the overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Overeaction? Did you read it? I'm guessing not as you have missed the point completely.

The point was that it merits no reaction either way. It wasn't some arrogant arse puffing his chest out. It also wasn't some noble gesture that deserves sportsmanship of the year. It was just something that happens all the time and really wasn't worthy of a thread either way.

It doesn't deserve a reaction at all. That was my post. You really, really got it wrong. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Why is he speaking Spanish to him, was the assistant ref Spanish?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He shouldn't be telling the officials how to run the game.

Comes across as a bit of arrogance to me, "we're winning four nil, it's going to be five without question... Blow it up." What if the Italians scored a consolation? Surely that would have taken the bad look off the Italian defeat somewhat...

Overeaction? Did you read it? I'm guessing not as you have missed the point completely.

The point was that it merits no reaction either way. It wasn't some arrogant arse puffing his chest out. It also wasn't some noble gesture that deserves sportsmanship of the year. It was just something that happens all the time and really wasn't worthy of a thread either way.

It doesn't deserve a reaction at all. That was my post. You really, really got it wrong. :p

Not really.

Nobody was terribly bothered by it: The comments ranged between "meh, not like its the greatest act of sportmanship in the world" to "I'd rather he didn't do it in a game I played in".

Nobody had really strong feelings about it one way or another and then BANG - your wall of text.

Advertisement