Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shtuck!!!!

• 03-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me please??

I am in the middle of filling out a Medical Card Application form. I am trying to locate a doctor's practice in Dublin(West preferably), which is wheelchair accessible.

I was previously in a practice which was accessible, but had 4 doctors(I saw a different one every time - and ended up quite ill on one occassion - because of on of the doctor's incompetence). I then moved to another doctor who is in a practice by himself, but he doesn't do medical cards???

Any advice very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'd have thought that most surgeries would at least have a ramp at the door. I know that's the case for the two surgeries nearest to me in Ballinteer. It all depends what you mean by 'accessible' - how wide do you need the doors? What kind of turning circle do you need? Do you need a loo?

If you really wanted to make a point, you could make a case that the HSE have a legal obligation to ensure that all GP services provided to them are required to be accessible under Section 27 of the Disability Act 2005. Why not make a formal complaint about the inaccessible surgeries, to see what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I basically want one that is a single doctor practice(if possible?)
    I'd have thought that most surgeries would at least have a ramp at the door. I know that's the case for the two surgeries nearest to me in Ballinteer. It all depends what you mean by 'accessible' - how wide do you need the doors? What kind of turning circle do you need? Do you need a loo?

If you really wanted to make a point, you could make a case that the HSE have a legal obligation to ensure that all GP services provided to them are required to be accessible under Section 27 of the Disability Act 2005. Why not make a formal complaint about the inaccessible surgeries, to see what happens?

I basically want one that is a single doctor practice(if possible?)

Do you really want a single doctor practice, or do you want a practice where your main relationship is with a single doctor? If you do get a single doctor practice, what do you do when your doc is on holliers or on training or sick or ???? My GP has two partners in the practice. I've never seen the other two, though my missus had to use one of the others a couple of times.

Do you really want a single doctor practice, or do you want a practice where your main relationship is with a single doctor? If you do get a single doctor practice, what do you do when your doc is on holliers or on training or sick or ???? My GP has two partners in the practice. I've never seen the other two, though my missus had to use one of the others a couple of times.

I've had a couple of crappy experiences with multiple doctor practices - ended up in hospital because of one them being totally incompetent. That's why I was asking.

I've had a couple of crappy experiences with multiple doctor practices - ended up in hospital because of one them being totally incompetent. That's why I was asking.

It's up to yourself of course, but I think you're focusing on the wrong issue. You're focusing on the number of doctors in the practice, instead of on the competence of the doctor. The fact that you've had problems in the past with the competence of doctors in multiple doctor practices does not mean that there is a general issue. If I were you, I'd focus on finding a great GP, regardless of how many others are in the practice.

You might get a better response to your question on the Dublin West board.

• Advertisement

It's up to yourself of course, but I think you're focusing on the wrong issue. You're focusing on the number of doctors in the practice, instead of on the competence of the doctor. The fact that you've had problems in the past with the competence of doctors in multiple doctor practices does not mean that there is a general issue. If I were you, I'd focus on finding a great GP, regardless of how many others are in the practice.

You might get a better response to your question on the Dublin West board.

I meant that I was seeing a different doctor every single time I went down.........I ended up losing a f***ing kidney because of one of them. This is why I don't want to be in a multi-doctor practice.

I meant that I was seeing a different doctor every single time I went down.........I ended up losing a f***ing kidney because of one of them. This is why I don't want to be in a multi-doctor practice.

OK, I get it now. Sorry to hear about the kidney. There really is no excuse for this, regardless of who sees you. That's what medical records are for.

But I can certainly understand why you'd want to have a base relationship with one doc, and only use others in case of emergency. That's certainly the case with my GPs practice. Once I can be a bit flexible about days/times, I can get to see my own doc without too much hassle.

If you already had a medical card, it might not be a huge surprise that some practices would see you as a 2nd class patient. Not nice, but it does happen.

My current GP is only there at certain hours of the day. He's completely on his own - no secretary - nothing.

Advertisement