Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof of 'God particle' found

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the big question bible bashers need to ask themselves is if nothing existed before the universe then how could god itself have existed?
    If there are multiple universes like some people think then it's possible something created this particular one. Our own scientists have come up with possible ways of creating a universe. If we did create one we certainly wouldn't have god like powers over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

FatherLen wrote: »
    what way would that be?

circumstantial evidence backed up by faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A few billion well spent. What's most entertaining is twelve references to God on this thread,......... by a lot of posters who moan about people bringing God into things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

MagicSean wrote: »
    circumstantial evidence backed up by faith
    Faith doesn't back up a theory - it is an unconditional belief in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

the big question bible bashers need to ask themselves is if nothing existed before the universe then how could god itself have existed?

Well as far as I know membranes existed before the universe. One of the theories is that their collision caused the bigbang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i dont get all this mumbo jumbo about evidence of 'god particles'...

so basically they found traces of semen?

davet82 wrote: »
    i dont get all this mumbo jumbo about evidence of 'god particles'...

so bacically they found traces of seamen?
    Eh...... no mention of sailors anywhere :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Eh...... no mention of sailors anywhere :confused:

they must have died cos of those crabs ;) its a deadly job looking for crabs :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

smash wrote: »
    The data the scientists have collected shows the footprint of the Higgs boson particle.

pics or gtfo.

Evolution is a theory.

The Big Bang is a theory.

The Big Bang Theory has Penny, hmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Crikey, I used to have a jar of those Higgs Boson particles in my shed and I used them all up throwing them at crows when I had no cent coins. I feel pret-ty foolish now, they could have been worth something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

pics or gtfo.

Evolution is a theory.

The Big Bang is a theory.

The Big Bang Theory has Penny, hmmmmmm
    Do you know what a theory is?

Oh, and gravity is a theory, music is a theory, atomic theory? Could go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Guys you do know that the "God" particle is a shortened name for the "GOD-DAMN particle" because it was so hard to find, don't you? They shortened the nickname to the "God" particle because the American publishers wouldn't print the word "Damn" on the cover of their science magazines. It has nothing to do with validating/invalidation religion.

Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

What a bunch of bollix, the God part, not the science part. Again which God are they talking about, Thor? Sun God? Allah. God brought into everything, the fooker needs to show himself then because if he did create the world we live in he has a lot of answering to do for some of his fooked up creations and ideals on this planet.

There is no God, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

he has a lot of answering to do for some of his fooked up creations.

yeah like the duck billed platypus. what the hell is that thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

.......poster may withdraw that remark on deathbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

What a bunch of bollix, the God part, not the science part. Again which God are they talking about, Thor? Sun God? Allah. God brought into everything, the fooker needs to show himself then because if he did create the world we live in he has a lot of answering to do for some of his fooked up creations and ideals on this planet.

bit of an ungrateful attitude that.

what if you created concious life in some form and it cursed you because it was fat or had a sore leg? not your fault is it.

Delighted they found God tbh. Can't see the downside.

Again lads read the post I just made above.

It's just a NICKNAME. It has nothing to do with God or Religion.

The first 8 seconds of this video sums up how I feel right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Will find more questions than answers. Although I guess that is the point of science. Trying to compare religion/Bible with Science is a non starter.

There is nothing we can do with the Bible except restore it and protect it for future generations. Science is evolving and learning new things. We know everything about the Bible.

The big difference between the two, one claims to have all the answers, the other looks to expand and gain more answers and knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

squod wrote: »
    .......poster may withdraw that remark on deathbed.

Or possibly go to his end with a logical mind, happy in the fact he enjoyed his life without fearing a non existent spook?

Will find more questions than answers. Although I guess that is the point of science. Trying to compare religion/Bible with Science is a non starter.

There is nothing we can do with the Bible except restore it and protect it for future generations. Science is evolving and learning new things. We know everything about the Bible.

The big difference between the two, one claims to have all the answers, the other looks to expand and gain more answers and knowledge.

exactly. The bible explains basically everything and has done for 2000 years. science changes like the wind. I think I know which one I'd trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

as Haldane said: the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

I mean the discovery that an electron is everywhere and yet nowhere is hard to fathom. Also the idea that two identical particles could be thousands of miles away, yet if one is sent in one direction, the other will automatically react in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Leftist wrote: »
    exactly. The bible explains basically everything and has done for 2000 years. science changes like the wind. I think I know which one I'd trust.

You are being sarcastic here, right? Tell me I'm being slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

bit of an ungrateful attitude that.

what if you created concious life in some form and it cursed you because it was fat or had a sore leg? not your fault is it.

Delighted they found God tbh. Can't see the downside.

If I created conscious life being all powerful and all mighty, I would have put some more thought in the creation I was creating because "God" in your world did a lousy and lame Job for a guy all knowing and powerful.

What "God" should actually do, with his super powers is create a perfect version of his lame self so This new "God" can fix all the flaws of his creations.

Bunch of bollix my friend!

Peace.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Or possibly go to his end with a logical mind, happy in the fact he enjoyed his life without fearing a non existent spook?

Doubtful.

Plazaman wrote: »
    Crikey, I used to have a jar of those Higgs Boson particles in my shed and I used them all up throwing them at crows when I had no cent coins. I feel pret-ty foolish now, they could have been worth something.

€7bn later and some nerds have maybe seen something. They should get a wedgy for their efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Do you know what a theory is?

Oh, and gravity is a theory, music is a theory, atomic theory? Could go on...

Yes sir, a theory is:

a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:

eg
    Einstein's THEORY of Relativity. Prove it now sir.
    Darwin's THEORY of Evolution. Prove it now sir.
    The THEORY of the Big Bang. Prove it now sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

You in favour of the Bible or Science? Hard to tell. For me Science can teach us new things, we can learn and invent new things because of Science.

We can't use the Bible for any of that.

If I created conscious life being all powerful and all mighty, I would have put some more thought in the creation I was creating because "God" in your world did a lousy and lame Job for a guy all knowing and powerful.

What "God" should actually do, with his super powers is create a perfect version of his lame self so This new "God" can fix all the flaws of his creations.

Bunch of bollix my friend!

Peace.

whoa, lets not get blasphemous.

Do you have a concept of how big and how complicated the universe is? He created life that can think for itself. that is genius. Every year he should get the noble prize imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Are the church covered insurance-wise if and when they eventually find the particle and its humping some other smaller defensless particle?

Yes sir, a theory is:

a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:

eg
    Einstein's THEORY of Relativity. Prove it now sir.
    Darwin's THEORY of Evolution. Prove it now sir.
    The THEORY of the Big Bang. Prove it now sir.

exactly. Like the theory of gravity, how come it wasn't missed before someone came up with that theory? it's all communist hocus pocus.

Einstein's theory of Relativity has been thrown into doubt recently when in CERN they pushed neutrinos faster than the speed of light—60 billionths of a second faster, and nothing happened.

Proving once and for all that we don't know what the fu*k is going on.

• Advertisement

D1stant wrote: »
    Are the church covered insurance-wise if and when they eventually find the particle and its humping some other smaller defensless particle?
    No, taxpayers will again be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

At last, mankind has discovered how everything we see around we, mass, came into being and experimentally verified it! No more God, bitches! Man has glimpsed inside the mind of God and come to understand his secrets.

Now it's time to hunt down god and kill him and his dictatorship once and for all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Doubtful.

Fear can do strange things to the mind. Sure isnt that how the church brainwash kids into believing their nonsense ? Do what I tell ya or the devil will get ya !!

€7bn later and some nerds have maybe seen something. They should get a wedgy for their efforts.

Or to put it another way possibly found the missing piece to the standard model of physics. But who needs understanding and knowledge when you can be ignorant instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Einstein's theory of Relativity has been thrown into doubt recently when in CERN they pushed neutrinos faster than the speed of light—60 billionths of a second faster, and nothing happened.

Recently it was discovered that the GPS tracking system tracking the particle between CERN and the observation base in Italy fucked up. So, basically the neutrino experiment went wrong and therefore Einstein's theory of Relativity still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pedant wrote: »
    At last, mankind has discovered how everything we see around we, mass, came into being and experimentally verified it! No more God, bitches! Man has glimpsed inside the mind of God and come to understand his secrets.

Now it's time to hunt down god and kill him and his dictatorship once and for all!!

Father Higgs-Boson does good mass.

No, but we have a far better idea then we would if we took the bible as the truth.

Pedant wrote: »
    Recently it was discovered that the GPS tracking system tracking the particle between CERN and the observation base in Italy fucked up. So, basically the neutrino experiment went wrong and therefore Einstein's theory of Relativity still stands.

Damn those Aldi stop-watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Calling it the 'god particle' is like a slap to the face of any scientist contributing to the higgs boson research.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    No, but we have a far better idea then we would if we took the bible as the truth.

What's this got to do with the bible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Unless you can do the maths you too are taking the god particle as faith.

LordSmeg wrote: »

Or to put it another way possibly found the missing piece to the standard model of physics. But who needs understanding and knowledge when you can be ignorant instead ?
    GENEVA (AP) — Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.
    Researchers at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say that they have compiled vast amounts of data that show the footprint and shadow of the particle, even though it has never actually been glimpsed.

Starting to believe in something intangible that you can't see LordSmeg? Blind faith much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Caliden wrote: »
    Calling it the 'god particle' is like a slap to the face of any scientist contributing to the higgs boson research.

They call it that. It's a dumb phrase for sure.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/neutrinos-cant-beat-light/
    Physicists at the CERN laboratory have put the final nail in the coffin for the idea that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light. They also confirmed that the groundbreaking results from 2011 can be blamed on faulty equipment.

What's this got to do with the bible?

My apologies, misinterpreted your point. While we don't have a complete picture of the universe, and probably never will, science has certainly progresses a long way in the last 100 years.

• Advertisement

My apologies, misinterpreted your point. While we don't have a complete picture of the universe, and probably never will, science has certainly progresses a long way in the last 100 years.
    100 years ago, we were just finding out about atoms, so yes. A long way is an understatement.

Unless you can do the maths you too are taking the god particle as faith.

I cant do actuarial science, but I know it works? :confused:

I love science, I am all for scientific method. I just don't like militant atheists (Not saying your one of them, just in general;)) who jump on threads just because it has the word God in the title.

It is possible to be have a spiritual side and be scientific. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Starting to believe in something intangible that you can't see LordSmeg? Blind faith much?

Possibly found evidence to back up a scientific model = blind faith now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why such hype about a discovery that has not been made ? Guess they have to justify the billions spent with a big press conference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement