Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question - teaching maths

• 03-07-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In the 'eyes' of the teaching coucil, my degree and masters qualifications only allow me to teach biology at leaving certificate level.

However, I do know I can also teach maths up to junior cert and certainly not allowed to teach Higher level at leaving cert (assuming I undergo no other training from now on), since I only have 5 credits of maths, done in the first year of my degree.

But my question is, am I allowed to teacher Maths, Ordinary level, at leaving certificate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Officially the Teaching Council recognises you to teach a subject to Leaving Cert Higher Level or not at all. The only exception to this would be for subjects such as Science or Business which are then separated out at Leaving Cert. So being recognised to teach Biology means you can also teach Science.
    The teaching council won't recognise you to teach Maths unless you studied it for at least 3 years and it made up at least 1/3 of your degree.

In reality, a principal will use what they have available and you may end up teaching Maths. However that would be at the discretion of the principal and I presume most would prefer to use a qualified Maths teacher if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I was thinking that it was at the discretion of the principal alright, particularly put teaching ordinary level maths. However, I thought a principal wouldn't be able to allow a teacher teach higher level leaving cert maths if that teacher had hardly no maths qualification at all, such as myself.

But you have confirmed my theory with regards to possibly teaching ordinary level. Depends on circumstances of the school, teachers available, etc.

EDIT: oh and thanks for your reply! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Backfire wrote: »
    I was thinking that it was at the discretion of the principal alright, particularly put teaching ordinary level maths. However, I thought a principal wouldn't be able to allow a teacher teach higher level leaving cert maths if that teacher had hardly no maths qualification at all, such as myself.

But you have confirmed my theory with regards to possibly teaching ordinary level. Depends on circumstances of the school, teachers available, etc.

EDIT: oh and thanks for your reply! :)
    To be honest 5 credits of maths means you did a single module in first year and not even as a full subject in first year which is the usual basis for people who end up teaching OL maths. I would be very annoyed as a qualified maths teacher if you were teaching maths at all. I mean I did one 5 credit module of Irish, it doesn't mean I can teach it-not even to OL JC

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

To be honest 5 credits of maths means you did a single module in first year and not even as a full subject in first year which is the usual basis for people who end up teaching OL maths. I would be very annoyed as a qualified maths teacher if you were teaching maths at all. I mean I did one 5 credit module of Irish, it doesn't mean I can teach it-not even to OL JC

Actually I have to agree with you there, I do think it would be ridiculous if I was teaching ordinary level maths at leaving certificate, but I was only enquiring if it was a possibility or impossibility. Maths was my 2nd pedagogy in the PDE, so at least I can say I have some 'training'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

In fairness though the pedagogy is all about teaching methods and techniques - it hasn't taught you any Maths.
    I think the perception is there though that most Science (and Business) teachers can teach Junior Cert Maths so I feel it is a possibility you could end up teaching it at some point in your career even if I don't agree with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'm always seeing business teachers teaching Maths but never see Maths teachers teaching Business!

Advertisement