Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation Induction

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Has anyone had any experiance of this?

We've been trying for over a year now and i've had countless tests/ blood works/scans etc and nothing amiss has been found, also dh has been given the seal of approval!

This week was my first time to take the fsh injections (150 gonal-f on cd4 & 6), and i've to take it again on cd8. On cd10 we return to the clinic for a scan. I believe that - providing the scan doesn't reveal more than 3 eggs they will direct me to use ovitrelle to kick off ovulation
    and here's my question (finally)....

have any of you had this treatment? Do they get you to take the ovitrille that same day and how soon afterwards would you expect ov to happen? Or do they get you to take the drug on the day that you would normally ov (cd16 for me).
    i'm noticing lots of cm (which for me is a first!!!) and my cp is really high and soft despite it only being cd6 so im assuimg this is the fsh?
    thanks girls appreciate any information at all from anyone who has been through this ....would LOVE to hear about some BFP's following the treatment but after more than a year at it im beginning to think it isn't going to happen for us :(

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I have. :)

I will write a post about it after the result of my OI is fed and burped and I've 2 hands free to type! :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Righto, I'm back.

I had OI last summer. Like you, we were unexplained, and began OI this time last year - I went on Clomid with Pregnyl as the trigger shot. They will use scans to determine the size of the follicle, and when the follicle(s) is 20mm then you get the go ahead to take the shot.

These were my cycles of OI:

June: I took 5x50mg Clomid at the beginning of my cycle, and the scan showed 3 mature follicles (clomid overstimulated) so the cycle was cancelled, meaning I didnt take the trigger shot, and we had to avoid getting pregnant that month. :(

July: My dosage on the Clomid was reduced to 2x50mg and I had 2 mature follicles showing on CD11 so went ahead with the trigger shot that day. This cycle didnt work for us.

August: I took the 50mg Clomid CD 2 & 3 as I did the previous cycle, was scanned on CD12 and showed 2 mature follicles and one nearly mature. I was sure they would cancel me again, but I was let go ahead. My partner gave me the Pregnyl trigger shot that night, and it triggers ovulation 36-40 hrs after injection. You are told to do the deed twice - once before and once after ovulation. On CD 28 I was due my period, and didnt get it. I tested and voila! There was my positive :) My son was born 7 weeks ago.

I got pregnant with him through OI after 28 unsuccessful cycles on our own. We initially concieved twins, but sadly lost one at 8 weeks as a missed miscarriage - this can be quite common especially since scans can detect these earlier. If I'd had my first scan at 20 weeks then there would have been no sign of the second sac.

For me, OI had the happy ending, for others that I know, they had no success stories. But by and large, it is quite successful and worth a try before moving to more invasive and expensive treatments.

Good luck with it! If I can answer any more queries you have, let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Neyite thank you very much for your detailed reply and huge congrats to you and hubby. sorry to hear that it should have been twins, im sure that was hard to go through also. That has happened to a pal of mine and she had a lot of insensitive comments made regarding it but i guess some people just dont think before they open their mouth! Delighted you had a happy outcome ...fingers crossed we will also!

I went to my gp in January (after being trying for a year naturally) we did bloods etc and as I was ovulating normally he said he couldn't prescribe clomid but instead referred me to a fertility clinic. no idea why they prescirbed gonal-f rather than clomid (im assuming they both do the same thing with regards increasing fsh).
    We've been told by the consultant that the aim is to try it for a couple of months and then if still no joy we'll do ivf but we've agreed (hubby and i) that we are only doing one round of ivf. hopefully it wont even come to that.
    thanks again, really appreciate you sharing your story

Advertisement