Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax, NCT and changing the ownership.

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Ireland, just landed 3 weeks ago and I don't really know how things go around here. So, I would like to buy a car. I did a lot of reading regarding the process, however, there is one thing I didn't found yet(probably because it's too obvious).

If the car is taxed for the next couple of months (tax due is feb 2013), do I need to renew the tax when I buy the car? Or, I could simply make myself an insurance policy and just drive it away from the dealer? (having the tax paid by previous owner/dealer, insurance on my name and the car's ntc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The motor tax stays with the car, you renew it when it expires, you will be notified by the motor tax office when it's due.
    Renewing the NCT is the owners responability, no reminders are sent, except for first test at 4 year sold.
    Insurance is the owners responsability, it's illegal to drive without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mindnoise

Thank you! That makes sense, just wanted to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

@mindnose

Since you are new make sure that you have your no claims bonus sent out to you from your country and get it translated at your embassy before buying the car.(if applies)

Also get insurance quotes over the phone or on the internet first, you`d be in for a surprise if you used to drive 1.6l+ engines back home. The premium can be outrageous over here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mindnoise

Oh yeah, saw that. Wanted to buy a 1.8L. But now I'm thinking at a 1.2L D:

Advertisement