Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy step down converter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You do not need any of those transformers. The gadgets are all multi-voltage and are designed to work on any mains supply. All you need is a travel adapter i.e. a passive gadget which takes the plugs from those devices and plugs into a UK/Irish three pin socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

coylemj wrote: »
    You do not need any of those transformers. The gadgets are all multi-voltage and are designed to work on any mains supply. All you need is a travel adapter i.e. a passive gadget which takes the plugs from those devices and plugs into a UK/Irish three pin socket.
    Are you sure? I just want to make sure I'm safe, so I don't fry my gadgets by buying just a regular pass through.

Are you sure? I just want to make sure I'm safe, so I don't fry my gadgets by buying just a regular pass through.

Yes I am. You have two gadgets, one needs 12V and the other 6V (probably DC in both cases but that doesn't matter) and they both came with AC adapters which say 100-240V and 50/60 Hz.

Correct? Proceed to next step...

That voltage and frequency range covers just about every country in the world so you can happily plug them via an adapter into the Irish mains.

After further deliberation from the guy who helped me and from this article from Wired:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Stay_Plugged_In_While_Traveling

I suppose I might just get the travel adaptors, seeing that I know now that the 100-240v (50/60Hz) covers worldwide. But at least I now have some clarification on the whole thing.

I suppose I might just get the travel adaptors

You suppose you might just get the travel adapters?

Don't go making any rash decisions now!

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You suppose you might just get the travel adapters?

Don't go making any rash decisions now!
    Well, I managed to find a travel adaptor lying around the house, so I tried it out and it worked. Have encountered no problems with it, thus far.

Advertisement