Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiger 800 test ride...

• 03-07-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Just test drove a Tiger 800 today for over an hour...yum! Very very smooth. Shifting was very smooth and concise, much better than any other bike I've ridden (which isn't that many, maybe 4). Was expecting it to be heavier too, but didn't feel much heavier than my Ninja 250.

Wasn't too confident cornering and brakes weren't as powerful as I was expecting; I'm comparing to my Ninja here. Both issues are probably just a matter of getting used to it.

Just an FYI for others looking: I'm about 5 foot 7, and had the lower seat option on the non-XC, and it was just right. I would have liked another CM or two lower. Any higher would be too high, I imagine.

Very hard going back to my 250 now :) ...

Comments

Nice bikes alright, I had a test ride when the Cork shop was still open. If I'd had the cash at the time I probably would have bought it. Had a go off the rocket 3 roadster too, mad yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Who is the (?) triumph dealership now? I had a go on the older model a few years ago in celtic motorcycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Was it an explorer model? Love them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Idleater wrote: »
    Who is the (?) triumph dealership now? I had a go on the older model a few years ago in celtic motorcycles.

Dublin Triumph, place in Ballymount. Right beside the Harley shop...think it's ran by the same people.
    Was it an explorer model? Love them...
    Nope, was the "800" model. Basically the same except smaller...Explorer is 1200CC, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are you actually buying of just fancied a spin on the bike....lol.

I absolutely love the Triumph Sprint 1050GT would love an "HOUR" to get loved up with it.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Are you actually buying of just fancied a spin on the bike....lol.

I absolutely love the Triumph Sprint 1050GT would love an "HOUR" to get loved up with it.

I've been looking at them for a while...strongly considering buying.

Two main reasons I haven't yet:
    1. I might be away for a month or 3 soon enough
    2. Have full license, but would legally need to be restricted for another 1.8 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

the old triples are pretty good restricted imo

ran a street triple for 6-8 months with a throttle stop nay bother. And then you get the new bike feel again as a result of 20-30 mins with a few spanners removing it :)

I'd say the difference in brakes between the tiger and the ninja are due to the extra weight, and possibly a fair bit of fork dive on the tiger? The tiger is about 50% heavier then your ninja I believe (some 80kg from a cursory google), so its a good testament to the Hinkley designers that theyve disguised it so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rat_race wrote: »
    Dublin Triumph, place in Ballymount. Right beside the Harley shop...think it's ran by the same people.

Same people all right. I was out there ages ago and the Triumph place was closed went into Harley place to see when it would open and was walked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wicklowbiker

Great to see Triumph making such a good comeback.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good to know OP, I'm currently thinking about my next bike (next year) and was considering this. I'm also pretty short at 5'6 and it sucks as many bikes are just too big, I'd have GS tomorrow but I can barely reach the ground! What else did/are you considering?

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Good to know OP, I'm currently thinking about my next bike (next year) and was considering this. I'm also pretty short at 5'6 and it sucks as many bikes are just too big, I'd have GS tomorrow but I can barely reach the ground! What else did/are you considering?

Well, considering 800 GS, Honda Transalp...that kinda thing. Maybe a V-Strom although I haven't really viewed one. Anything that can carry luggage and passenger and isn't too ugly.

TBH, I've stopped looking...kinda decided on a Tiger. One day :) ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

rat_race wrote: »
    Anything that can carry luggage and passenger and isn't too ugly.
    Yeah, so many of these types of bikes really are not that attractive, I just could not ride an ugly bike :D

I want something comfy and good for touring, but something I can commute and whizz around on backroads on too. Low seat height is essential also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah, so many of these types of bikes really are not that attractive, I just could not ride an ugly bike :D

I want something comfy and good for touring, but something I can commute and whizz around on backroads on too. Low seat height is essential also

....you can lower any bike - GS's, and all the rest.

I just bought a used SV for my SO, and lowered it with an adjustable suspension kit - cost me US$89 on th'internet :) perfect.

I'd buy the best bike you like, do a small bit of research, and then spend a few €€ getting it to your preference. Even if you have to buy a special shock, you can resell it later, come resale time.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I know a lad with an XC800, he loves it but it drinks the juice.

JonathonS wrote: »
    I know a lad with an XC800, he loves it but it drinks the juice.

Damn...compared to a 800GS? They're meant to be extremely economical. But then again, they're only 2-cylinder...I haven't had the pleasure of riding a GS, but people seem to prefer the triple on the Tigers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....the BeeEmms have always been known for economy, so I'd be expecting 55mpg+ - 70mpg out of them all day long. Our old F650 and F650ST regularly pulled high 60's mpg - and they were a '94 an '97 bike.

... a quick google shows many people not happy with the Triumph's fuel economy, and whilst I've only driven an F800R, I found it was incredibly light on juice - averaging 75mpg + ........Tbh I love the Triumph, but it would be very, very hard to pass the BeeEmm at those kind of numbers.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....the BeeEmms have always been known for economy, so I'd be expecting 55mpg+ - 70mpg out of them all day long. Our old F650 and F650ST regularly pulled high 60's mpg - and they were a '94 an '97 bike.

... a quick google shows many people not happy with the Triumph's fuel economy, and whilst I've only driven an F800R, I found it was incredibly light on juice - averaging 75mpg + ........Tbh I love the Triumph, but it would be very, very hard to pass the BeeEmm at those kind of numbers.

I was in dead-set on a Tiger 800...not so sure now! I know the BMWs kicked ass economy-wise but I didn't realise there was that much of a difference.

BMW in Ballymount won't give me a spin of their bikes (full license, but still under 2 year restriction), but Triumph did (no problem)...So, I can't personally compare the two power-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Read an interview somewhere with a triumph guy about the tiger 800. Fuel economy wasn't a priority. Can't remember the details but basically they deliberately burn more fuel in order to get that smooth feeling for the engine,

Advertisement