Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three mobile 3G speed.

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey all, anyone else seeing a massive decline in the 3G speeds from three mobile? Up in dundalk at the mo. both in town and in the outshirts the speed is terrible.
    I have the iPhone 4 and from day one(back in 2010) was happy but in the last half year the speed has dropped from decent to dial up speed. Hating three at the mo! No point having a phone with internet access if this is the speed
    Is it just my phone getting old(hardly) or has three given out so many smart phones that their system now can't handle the traffic.
    Upload 0.07Mbps
    Download 0.51Mbps
    Latancy/ ping 150ms

I remember getting up at respectively 1.8Mbps/2.4Mbps/85ms

Which other provider is good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Wow and here was I thinking I was the only one with this problem.

Three mobile is HORRIBLE. I am using their intranet broadband key thing and it is GARBAGE lately. Would love to switch but I'm being lazy.

I'm with vodaphone on my smart phone and it is rotten. Wont load any pages for me at all and if it does it takes a good 5 mins. :(

So Voda and three get a thumbs down from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kwak.ie

Their bunbles are really good thats why everyone switched over now there is too many people on three's airwaves. Literally 6 months ago I was telling everyone how great the internet service is with its unlimited download etc (i was actually at the time always watching tv on aertv.ie with no problems or buffering) now I'm complaining about three to the same people who I suggested the switch to. Bad form three. Get ur act together or stop selling smart phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I'm with vodaphone on my smart phone and it is rotten. Wont load any pages for me at all and if it does it takes a good 5 mins. :(

So Voda and three get a thumbs down from me.

I'm in the town and with Voda on both a dongle and smartphone. Just ran a test on the phone using both AP's and here's what I got

Dongle 67ms 3Mbps/1.12Mbps
    Phone 65ms 3.73Mbps/1.07Mbps

Very similar on both so I suspect it depends where in the town you are. I'm most likely connected to the mast at their call centre. I've always found my Voda connections to be fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

im with three and its the same.

Knew i shouldnt have changed from meteor but i was annoyed that after 3 years my "upgrade" was costing more than the same phone on a less contract with three.

Their mobile network is poxy. anytime you avtually need to load a page i have to go to my settings, turn off mobile network, go to network settings, manually select three, then go back to mobile network and turn it on. then i usually get about 5 mins of high-speed internet on my phone. (this was the lad in the shops solution to the problem anyway)

ive already had my phone replaced once and now looks like i may have to do so again bacause of a faulty mic/speaker.

when one decides to work the other one decides to stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

rogieop wrote: »
    Knew i shouldnt have changed from meteor but i was annoyed that after 3 years my "upgrade" was costing more than the same phone on a less contract with three.

Meteor have gone the same way as 3 lately, my contract is up soon and is defintely being cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I moved over to 3 last January on a 2 yeat contract and I can certainly agree with you... their data speeds are God Awful!!
    I've phoned 3 to complain and they put you on to Bangladesh who then put up a million road blocks for you... (well known tactic)
    I'm on a Samsumg Galaxy S2. Love the phone but when I'm out and about and looking for an internet signal it can get really frustrating.
    Also, I've noticed that @ certain time sof the day, even if I have a full "highspeed internet" logo, it's still so slow it's almost unusuable.
    Their mobile coverage is not much better either. I'll be going straight back to O2 when my contract is up.

just on a side note, it was announced yesterday that 3 & Vodafone are to pair up their signals which might mean somewhat better soeeds for 3 customers. You can read this here:

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU002953.shtml

I'll believe it when I see it though! :rolleyes:

kormak wrote: »
    I moved over to 3 last January on a 2 yeat contract and I can certainly agree with you... their data speeds are God Awful!!
    I've phoned 3 to complain and they put you on to Bangladesh who then put up a million road blocks for you... (well known tactic)
    I'm on a Samsumg Galaxy S2. Love the phone but when I'm out and about and looking for an internet signal it can get really frustrating.
    Also, I've noticed that @ certain time sof the day, even if I have a full "highspeed internet" logo, it's still so slow it's almost unusuable.
    Their mobile coverage is not much better either. I'll be going straight back to O2 when my contract is up.

just on a side note, it was announced yesterday that 3 & Vodafone are to pair up their signals which might mean somewhat better soeeds for 3 customers. You can read this here:

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU002953.shtml

I'll believe it when I see it though! :rolleyes:

Thats actually an old "announcement". they did that tie up a good while ago. it's nothing to do with data coverage, it was just to allow 3 customers access to voice services on 2G networks when there was no coverage for 3G. otherwise 3 customers would have "no signal" and couldnt even make calls let alone use data services.

What was rumoured by the press but not confirmed yet is that they would share "infrastructure" i.e. they would put up one mast and both use it. The telco world is getting very converged lately so these tie-ups are becoming common enough. They would both use the exact same kit for providing services and use a common company to look after it (probably the manufacturer that provided it) then they each sell on the services from that mast to their customers. Otherwise they both have to buy and install a full set of equipment for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

cargo wrote: »
    Thats actually an old "announcement". they did that tie up a good while ago. it's nothing to do with data coverage, it was just to allow 3 customers access to voice services on 2G networks when there was no coverage for 3G. otherwise 3 customers would have "no signal" and couldnt even make calls let alone use data services.

What was rumoured by the press but not confirmed yet is that they would share "infrastructure" i.e. they would put up one mast and both use it. The telco world is getting very converged lately so these tie-ups are becoming common enough. They would both use the exact same kit for providing services and use a common company to look after it (probably the manufacturer that provided it) then they each sell on the services from that mast to their customers. Otherwise they both have to buy and install a full set of equipment for themselves.

altight, well I heard something of the sort yesterday... thanks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

surely the fact that the network is dreadful is grounds for teminating the contract?

For a while i was convinced it was my phone that was just slow processing the data but if its the network then they can f off!

Yeah unlimited data but you couldnt even download a full stop ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I don't think it's just three. I'm with Vodafone and when I go back to my parents house on the Avenue road area I only get a signal occasionally.

Like cargo says, it really depends where in the town you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Seems like I'm one of the lucky few who is quite happy with the Three service. I live in the centre of town and I practically always have a decent 3G signal. Use the phone as a modem for my laptop as well and it works perfectly.

But that's only in Dundalk. If I leave Dundalk at all I generally lose the 3G signal and get the little circle thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Pighead wrote: »
    Seems like I'm one of the lucky few who is quite happy with the Three service. I live in the centre of town and I practically always have a decent 3G signal. Use the phone as a modem for my laptop as well and it works perfectly.

But that's only in Dundalk. If I leave Dundalk at all I generally lose the 3G signal and get the little circle thing.

Jesus christ, Pighead didnt speak in 3rd person?!?!?!!?! what is going on???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Im up by the train station and get around 4mb, its a lot better than the other networks. Although if i head out towards knockbridge, it goes completely.
    Depends where you are OP.

doncarlos wrote: »
    I don't think it's just three. I'm with Vodafone and when I go back to my parents house on the Avenue road area I only get a signal occasionally.

Like cargo says, it really depends where in the town you are.

Funnily enough I'm down the Avenue Road (Town end) direction also and have good speeds!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have to say that my 3G wireless broadband on O2 has been very poor in town recently, it used to be a lot quicker. The signal still has five bars, but still a lot slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Kwak.ie wrote: »
    Hey all, anyone else seeing a massive decline in the 3G speeds from three mobile? Up in dundalk at the mo. both in town and in the outshirts the speed is terrible.
    I have the iPhone 4 and from day one(back in 2010) was happy but in the last half year the speed has dropped from decent to dial up speed. Hating three at the mo! No point having a phone with internet access if this is the speed
    Is it just my phone getting old(hardly) or has three given out so many smart phones that their system now can't handle the traffic.
    Upload 0.07Mbps
    Download 0.51Mbps
    Latancy/ ping 150ms

I remember getting up at respectively 1.8Mbps/2.4Mbps/85ms

Which other provider is good?

Definitely noticed a huge drop in speeds in the last 4 - 5 wks on three.

Dont think its a location thing either....i use mobile broadband in Dublin City Centre & Drogheda and obviously the iPhone everywhere I go and its horrendous at the moment.

I would advise people to stay as far away from Three as possible

Advertisement