Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions going to seed.

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all Gardners'
    A lot of my onions are going to seed before they mature. Anyone know why this happens.
    Liam C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Hi all Gardners'
    A lot of my onions are going to seed before they mature. Anyone know why this happens.
    Liam C.

Just cut the flower buds off as soon as you see them. Should still get a good crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

in the past I have done that too, nipping the flower head off, but the onion flower stem seems to continue to develop and the onion would end up being about a third of the size of others and due to the large circumference of the flower stem at the top of the onion these onions dont store for very long. I had thought that a few very hot days may spark this off and it has happened again this year to me too but not so many as last year. I am beginning to think that its down to very small onion sets getting left behind in the seed beds by the proucer to be collected the following year, thus ready to flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Often happens with setts ,not so much with seed ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Liam C Ryan

Thanks for the replys
    Liam C

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Yes, my onions haven't done well this year, all thick stems and tiny bulbs - actually nothing has done very well - probably caused by bad weather !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Mine are the same; look like they are doing ok but the bulbs are tiny. I guess the rain is washing away the nutrients in the soil.

Advertisement