Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you alllow a novice to follow you around for a day?

• 03-07-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

This question goes towards pro photographers, probably with a studio, but not necessary.

I have been getting into photography for a long time, just recently on my 2nd dslr, and i kind of feel at a stalemate with skills. I'm not saying im good ( i may be crap tbh ) but with a DSLR and loads of pics taken, im curious as to other sides of photography ( portrait, Photojournalism etc )

So i looked up some photographers in walkinstown to see would they allow me to "ghost" them for a day, or even as work experience once a week. Feel a bit of a twat at age 40 doing this, so before i contact them, was wondering if you as a pro ( or full time w/e ) photographer would let someone follow you or assist you once a week etc? or do you feel its best to keep your skills and tips and tricks to yourself?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If I was in Ireland for sure. You could start at 6am, watch me lie in and sleep off my hangover from the previous nights gig/club shoot where I picked up a hot young thing. Watch me wake up several times and drink some flat coke from a 2Lt bottle, fall back asleep a few times. Hear/smell some wind from the previous nights Abrakebabra on my way home. I'd wake around 10am-ish, sit up, check my internet stuff, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube and eventually get up and be showered out of bed by midday. Fry up some breakfast and look outside and see what a crap day it was and decide its more productive to play Xbox all day than even attempt to think about taking pictures until my hangover clears up.

Around 4pm think about going out to shoot some photos but realise by the time I go anywhere the light will be crap and traffic will suck and I won't really get anything, so go check the internets again, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube. By this stage its dark out and taking photos at night is so overdone and boring. Not to mention its cold and more effort than taking photos during the day. Check the internets again, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube...

Realise its 7 or 8pm-ish and you've done nothing with your day. So time to make the most of it. Go to the off licence, grab 8 cans of Hackenberg and a snack box in the chipper. Get home, eat my snackbox, drink some beers while checking the internets and lol'ing at things on boards.ie photography forum in between searching for something freaky on redtube.
    Realise its getting late-ish and it'll start to get harder for me to get into bars if it gets any later and I decide to polish off the rest of my beers.

Go out to some club night my mates organised. I told him I'd bring my camera to take some pics to promote his club night...wake up around 10am the following day.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Just your local camera club, go on photowalks, comment on the 'buddies' thread and look for a buddy. That should get you started.

Out of interest do you have a web presence; flickr account, pix.ie, site etc?

I'm an amateur, just in case you think I'm a pro and not offering....

http://photowalk.ie/ - not sure if this is still active

cheers & good luck,
    pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Camera clubs are great for learning, especially outings. Photowalk.ie is also brilliant, since you can ask questions when shooting.

You would learn a lot more from those two activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes, I'd have no problem with that. I don't know what good it would do him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

This question has been playing on my mind also fujiguy, Im 34 and starting in Marino college in September, one of the requirements is 1 day a week work experience and I have been wondering if Pro's would have a problem.

It probably depends on the pro really, are they willing to teach you there tricks etc. If your lucky you might get someone who started off as an assistant and knows what your looking to learn.

As dinneenp said, Camera club is my next step within the next 2 weeks :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

In principle I would love to support a novice. Unfortunately it is unlikely to accommodate my with current workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fujiguy

Thanks for the replies! I am really tempted to do a course, but i kind of think it would be a waste as its a beginner course, and i think i know the basics enough to know what not to do. ( plus its 200 euro! ) the photo walk is a good idea, but its studio work im curious to try or at least see what its like to work in one.

I thought the buddy system post was long gone! must check again, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Fujiguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I am really tempted to do a course, but i kind of think it would be a waste as its a beginner course, and i think i know the basics enough to know what not to do. ( plus its 200 euro! ) the photo walk is a good idea, but its studio work im curious to try or at least see what its like to work in one.

I thought the buddy system post was long gone! must check again, thanks for that.

You're tempted to do a course? Seriously? How long you're using consciously DSLR? Also I don't think that any course will cover your requirements as you'd like to learn something about studio work. Consider renting a studio with few friends and practice, practice, practice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

pete4130 wrote: »
    If I was in Ireland for sure. You could start at 6am, watch me lie in and sleep off my hangover from the previous nights gig/club shoot where I picked up a hot young thing. Watch me wake up several times and drink some flat coke from a 2Lt bottle, fall back asleep a few times. Hear/smell some wind from the previous nights Abrakebabra on my way home. I'd wake around 10am-ish, sit up, check my internet stuff, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube and eventually get up and be showered out of bed by midday. Fry up some breakfast and look outside and see what a crap day it was and decide its more productive to play Xbox all day than even attempt to think about taking pictures until my hangover clears up.

Around 4pm think about going out to shoot some photos but realise by the time I go anywhere the light will be crap and traffic will suck and I won't really get anything, so go check the internets again, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube. By this stage its dark out and taking photos at night is so overdone and boring. Not to mention its cold and more effort than taking photos during the day. Check the internets again, you know, Gmail, boards.ie, facebook, redtube...

Realise its 7 or 8pm-ish and you've done nothing with your day. So time to make the most of it. Go to the off licence, grab 8 cans of Hackenberg and a snack box in the chipper. Get home, eat my snackbox, drink some beers while checking the internets and lol'ing at things on boards.ie photography forum in between searching for something freaky on redtube.
    Realise its getting late-ish and it'll start to get harder for me to get into bars if it gets any later and I decide to polish off the rest of my beers.

Go out to some club night my mates organised. I told him I'd bring my camera to take some pics to promote his club night...wake up around 10am the following day.....

Too familiar.. I'm starting to hate club work, its soul destroying.

Advertisement