Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can 2 people live in same house when ones going to Mary I and UL ?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hello, me and friend are going to college...

My in UL an my friend in Mary I but we want to live together . Is this possible or are the two colleges too far away?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Are either of ye driving? And willing to drive to college every day? Bear in mind that this is the distance between the two campuses: http://goo.gl/maps/VlEp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It is possible there is nothing stopping you from doing this just ask yourself are ye both ready to commute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

It is definitely possible, but you need to give us more details. Cars etc.

If the person going to Mary I has a car it might be best to live near UL, cheaper rent and more space than in the city. Places like Briarfield and groody might be good. Its an easy commute to Mary I, you can use the motorway and get off before the tunnel and go straight in the dock road to Mary I.

One of my coursemates lives in the city centre and commutes by bus to the campus. This is also a possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

In the accom Q's thread op said none of them have a car.

I would be a real pain in the hole, even with traffic to try and get onto the motorway and them roadworks on the off ramps dont look like they will be finished anytime soon.

The colleges are over 6km apart and not one part of the trip would be traffic free. Even living in the cities and getting busses to both colleges would be nothing but sitting in traffic and who wants to sit in traffic on a bus hungover.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kragmite

It is possible but it just requires a commitment to being organised.

If you choose accommodation near Mary I then the ULer could get a 1 of the 2 early buses from Raheen that goes directly to UL. The first bus passes along the Ballinacurra Road at 8:00am and the second passes it at 9:15am. It then goes to UL via the Childers road and takes about 20mins. Costs €1.70 so you can save money instead of getting a bus into town and then on to UL which would cost you 2 buses and take about 40 - 60 mins.

As for the afternoon time when the ULer is returning to their home near Mary I there is a 4:30pm and a 5:30pm bus available that goes directly from UL to Raheen and circumvents a lot of the traffic in town from people getting out of work. This follows back through the Childers road and meets up with the Ballinacurra road.

The 5:30pm bus takes about half an hour to reach the Ballinacurra Road because of traffic

So it's totally possible but just be organised if you want to cut your commuting time and costs by half.

Also the bus timetable doesnt operate the other way around so there is no evening bus from raheen to UL and no UL bus to raheen in the morning

hope this was helpful to you

• Advertisement

The busses like that dont suit if the person is in till 6 though or if they oly have 2 or 3 hours mid day it would mean ar$ing around college all day

If it wasnt a lecture but a tutorial or lab you had until 6 then you could re-arrange it for another time.

There are plenty of things to do around UL outside of the lecture hall. Play pool, go to the gym, use a computer in the library, join a club or society and part-take in an event or training and if you consider all that to be arsing around then maybe op could study or something along those lines.

Yeah its doable if everything goes perfect... Missing busses means you miss the morning instead of walking in a few minutes late..
    Not all lecturers will let u change your tutorial.. Practical labs could be full you have to attend the one you are assigned to.
    It might all work out for first semester and then be caught for it in the second semester because you dont know the timetable.

You would spend more money waiting around the college all day and have to pay for lunch instead of making something at home. Not everyone likes a packed lunch.
    All these things should be taught about before living 6km away from the college with limited transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

If you both cycle it would be possible, and then on very wet days get the bus. But most days you could cycle.

garv123 wrote: »

You would spend more money waiting around the college all day and have to pay for lunch instead of making something at home. Not everyone likes a packed lunch.
    All these things should be taught about before living 6km away from the college with limited transport.

ah lad, you can't be serious if you think the op should be putting his decision down to whether or not they like a packed lunch or making a meal at home. Your just splitting hairs now garv. Have a big breakfast and a small packed lunch would keep you fed until dinner.

As for the timetable not working you could always arrange to swap with someone or email the lectures. I've never had a situation where I couldn't re-organise a tutorial or lab if i have needed to. Shouldn't be too much hassle to sort it out early in the semester

• Advertisement

kragmite wrote: »
    ah lad, you can't be serious if you think the op should be putting his decision down to whether or not they like a packed lunch or making a meal at home. Your just splitting hairs now garv. Have a big breakfast and a small packed lunch would keep you fed until dinner.

As for the timetable not working you could always arrange to swap with someone or email the lectures. I've never had a situation where I couldn't re-organise a tutorial or lab if i have needed to. Shouldn't be too much hassle to sort it out early in the semester

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Did i say that..I was on about having to fork out more money everyday for lunch..

Ive had 4 modules where there was no hope in hell could I change a lab or tutorial so just because you got lucky doesn't mean the op would.

Advertisement