Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

matrim wrote: »
    2. Small 1 gallon Wit beer style. Similar to this

Did a variation of this today.

Tried it with wheat spraymalt and Crystal Hops instead of what's in his recipe. Hopefully it turns out ok

Just went to check it now. It's been on about 4 hours and it's bubbling / foaming out the top of the airlock a bit. Not much now but I'm worried it could get worse. Should I worry about this? Or is there anything I should do?

Edit: I've swapped to a blow off tube setup after seeing a way to set it up with my current equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

just started a coopers lager with coopers brew enhancer 1.thought i had some muntons spray malt but it seems to have gone walkabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did a variation of this today.

Tried it with wheat spraymalt and Crystal Hops instead of what's in his recipe. Hopefully it turns out ok

Hey Id be interested in doing this small scale brew.. what;s the story with his ingredients listing it says..

60min 5g
    30 min 3g
    5 min 3g

What's that all about?

To avoid blow off could you fill it with a little less and top up after.. or is it just a vigorous fermentation process anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Armelodie wrote: »
    Hey Id be interested in doing this small scale brew.. what;s the story with his ingredients listing it says..

60min 5g
    30 min 3g
    5 min 3g

What's that all about?

To avoid blow off could you fill it with a little less and top up after.. or is it just a vigorous fermentation process anyway...

It refers to an extract or all grain brew process and it is the time to add the hops once the wort has come to the boil

• Advertisement

60min 5g
    30 min 3g
    5 min 3g

What's that all about?

As mentioned by stuchyg it's about when to add the hops to the boil.

I actually did it slightly differently to him. I added 8g at the start of the 60 minute boil. 2g at 45 minutes left, 3g at 30 minutes and 3g with 10 minutes left.

It was possibly a bit fuller that it needed to be but it seemed to be quite vigorous. It's calmed down to what looks more like normal levels now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

As mentioned by stuchyg it's about when to add the hops to the boil.

I actually did it slightly differently to him. I added 8g at the start of the 60 minute boil. 2g at 45 minutes left, 3g at 30 minutes and 3g with 10 minutes left.

It was possibly a bit fuller that it needed to be but it seemed to be quite vigorous. It's calmed down to what looks more like normal levels now

Ok cheers lads...last 2 questions..

Is it a vigorous raging boil for 60 mins, or a steady bubble?

Whats the time for keeping it in the DJ untill bottling... is there much racking?

Ok cheers lads...last 2 questions..

Whats the time for keeping it in the DJ untill bottling... is there much racking?

I went for a reasonably heavy boil for the 60 minutes but in fairness that was about all my hob could do. From what I've read a vigorous boil can help with hop utilization but it's my first time doing it so I don't know for certain.

From all I've read it's the same as any normal beer, so 1 - 2 weeks in the DJ and if you want to rack to secondary you can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The more vigorous the better, without boiling over.
    Whats the time for keeping it in the DJ untill bottling
    Until it has finished fermenting. Minimum two weeks, I'd say. Just keep an eye on the gravity and bottle once the gravity has been constant for a few days.
    is there much racking?
    You needn't do any unless you want to.

gonna start a wheat beer fairly soon but i'm undecided on which lme to use.is there much of a difference in the coopers malt extract wheat and the malt extract light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

gonna start a wheat beer fairly soon but i'm undecided on which lme to use.is there much of a difference in the coopers malt extract wheat and the malt extract light

I'd use wheat malt extract. It will give more flavour and better head retention than the light LME.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

We're shortly acquiring some ex-Bushmills barrels, fresh from the distillery. 163 litre capacity.

Personally I will be contributing 20 litres of Imperial Stout to a group fill. Between 8 of us we'll fill our barrel.:cool:

Tube wrote: »
    We're shortly acquiring some ex-Bushmills barrels, fresh from the distillery. 163 litre capacity.

Personally I will be contributing 20 litres of Imperial Stout to a group fill. Between 8 of us we'll fill our barrel.:cool:

That sounds very cool. How much was the barrel if you don't mind me asking? Much hassle getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

That sounds very cool. How much was the barrel if you don't mind me asking? Much hassle getting one?

Less than €40 a barrel, but we did get a volume discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I'm guessing it's 8 runs of the same recipe?

Khannie wrote: »
    Unusual sounding. Have you had this before? I might branch out into trying stuff like that while the option is available. Not entirely sure where I'd get gorse around here though but I'll start keeping an eye out.

Tried this a year or two ago, fouled it up - going to try it again this year. Gorse blossoms have an amazing coconut aroma.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Just racked a Muntons Connoisseur Yorkshire Bitter to Secondary and added 10g Pellet Fuggles and 15g EKG Leaf Dry Hop. It was my first time brewing this and was surprised how long it took to finish in Primary (2 weeks). It started very well, bubbling away good-oh and then a little bubble here and there after about day 5. There was no Kreussen until about day 3 which was very different to other kits I've done (John Bull and Coopers). Until 2 days ago there were bubbles on the surface of the brew which, again, is unusual when compared to previous brews. The OG was 1.050 and the FG is 1.013 which gives it about 5.4% after bottle conditionning. I just used the Kit, 1 can of Light LME and Safale US-05. It ended up brewing away at about 15C from day 4-14. Taste is really good. The other half thought it was very bitter but I think it was milder than other brews I've made in the past. Decided not to mess too much with this one as it was my first time brewing with any Muntons kits. I'll defo be getting a few more of these kits in the next while to add to my inventory.

Had a thought re Cider using the Lidl finest. If you have say 10 ltrs of juice in your fermenter and add maybe 500g dem sugar to raise the alcohol. If you were then to add 10 ltrs of water to bring the volume up would it level the alcohol back to the equivalent of 20 ltrs of pure apple juice minus the sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

Started a Coopers IPA with 1kg light malt extract, 1 kg brewing sugar and a 30gm cascade hops boiled for 10 min. I've never used additional hops in a brew so not sure how it's going to work out. Will probably dry hop with another 30gm in a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

stuchyg wrote: »
    Had a thought re Cider using the Lidl finest. If you have say 10 ltrs of juice in your fermenter and add maybe 500g dem sugar to raise the alcohol. If you were then to add 10 ltrs of water to bring the volume up would it level the alcohol back to the equivalent of 20 ltrs of pure apple juice minus the sugar

I dont know about the alcohol levels but it probably wont taste good.
    Sugary water....It wont have any body or mouthfeel to it... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I dont know about the alcohol levels but it probably wont taste good.
    Sugary water....It wont have any body or mouthfeel to it... :(

+1 to this.

I bottled 6 x 750ml bottles of JOAM (Joes Ancient Orange Mead) last night after 3 months fermenting. Had a half wine glass left over which I drank. :D Tasted as I had read it would, like TCP or Listerine...:D

Apparantly it should be nice to drink in a year or so :eek:

just bottled a coopers lager.instructed as brewing for 4 days but i fermented it for over 2 weeks but the fg was still pretty low.it'll work out about 3.8% i'm not holding out too much hope for it but it does smell good.gonna give the batch to my mate in 2weeks for his birthday present

i was planning on doing a weissbeir next but tomoro i'm starting a better brew lager kit with coopers light lme and medium toasted american oak chips

Tasted my stout which is undrinkable atm, vinegar taste to it. Anyone had this with the coopers kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No, I split a Coopers kit into 2, and both seemed ok at bottling time.

HMD wrote: »
    Started a Coopers IPA with 1kg light malt extract, 1 kg brewing sugar and a 30gm cascade hops boiled for 10 min. I've never used additional hops in a brew so not sure how it's going to work out. Will probably dry hop with another 30gm in a week or two.

Put the Cascade dry hops in on Monday. It looks like the fermentation has finished, i will take a gravity reading tomorrow night and maybe bottle if it's done.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Tasted my stout which is undrinkable atm, vinegar taste to it. Anyone had this with the coopers kit

Infection??? :eek:

I did a Coopers stout kit a few weeks ago and it was fine. Never had a vinegar taste or smell to it.

Put the Cascade dry hops in on Monday. It looks like the fermentation has finished, i will take a gravity reading tomorrow night and maybe bottle if it's done.

Bottled it last night. It smelled and tasted lovely, very orangey. strength was about 4.4% before botteling.

I put 1.5 coopers carbonation drops in each bottle, how much would they add to the ABV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bottled it last night. It smelled and tasted lovely, very orangey. strength was about 4.4% before botteling.

I put 1.5 coopers carbonation drops in each bottle, how much would they add to the ABV?

I see that's a Coopers IPA, I also dry-hopped one last night, using 30g Cascade.

Going to bottle next Saturday.

The carb drops won't add much, maybe 0.1% if even.

Advertisement