Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Give it the day and swirl but don't stir the fermenter, should wake the yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

stuchyg wrote: »
    Give it the day and swirl but don't stir the fermenter, should wake the yeast

I'll try that, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I made up a pale ale last week and will hopefully bottle after a few days of crash cooling. It finished at 1012 which is what I was after. Citra is a really nice hop and dry hopped with colombus as Ilike that hop too :D .

[size=+2]Summer Pale Ale[/size]
    [size=+1]10-A American Pale Ale[/size]
    Date: 25/05/2013

09.jpg

Size: 48.0 L
    Efficiency: 80%
    Attenuation: 76.2%
    Calories: 174.11 kcal per 12 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.045 - 1.060)
    |===============#================|
    Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
    Color: 19.35 (5.00 - 14.00)
    |================#===============|
    Alcohol: 5.24% (4.50% - 6.00%)
    Bitterness: 69.3 (30.00 - 45.00)
    |================================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
    10 kg (95.2%) 10 kg Maris Otter Malt - added during mash
    .5 kg (4.8%) .5 kg Crystal 55 - added during mash
    50 g (20.0%) 50 g Warrior® (17%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    25 g (10.0%) 25 g Citra™ (15%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
    25 g (10.0%) 25 g Citra™ (15%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
    50 g (20.0%) 50 g Citra™ (15%) - added during boil, boiled 1 m
    100 g (40.0%) 100 g Columbus (15.00%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
    20.29 fl oz 20.29 fl oz Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
    Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
    Source Water: 60.0 °F
    Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=+1]Notes[/size]
    46L BL 2L 2L 15%
    69L water used-treat with 32ml crs(0.46 ml/L)
    mash volume 25L(11ml crs)
    batch 2 43.6L (20ml crs)

6g gypsum in mash
    10.6g gypsum and 12g epson in at boil

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22[/size]

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Will be bottling a Coopers Mexican Cerveza Kit in the next few days. Ended up being in Primary for over two weeks before it settled at 1.012. Racked it to Secondary about 1.5 weeks ago. I know Secondary isn't essential (I know some would say it's allowing more opportunity for infection), but I've been doing it since day one and find it works well for me. I'm not sure what I'll put on next. Think it's gonna be some form of Ale as I've found a bit of a grá for them since I've started brewing. I do have a Pilsner Kit which in this nice weather would be really nice... but as we all know this weather will probably not last... decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i know i think this every time i make a new brew but my current one is absolutely delicious.the best one i've made so far.it came out almost exactly how i imagined it would.the only criticism i have is maybe there's a tad too much oak chips in it.lovely whiskey-esque flavour with a slight caramel aroma

better brew lager kit
    coopers light lme
    200g medium toasted american oak chips

• Advertisement

IMAG0122.jpg

My blue moon clone, tastes v good just missing the blue moon mouthfeel

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Looks like it's levitating. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Racked off my turbo cider today.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

IMAG0122.jpg

My blue moon clone, tastes v good just missing the blue moon mouthfeel

What recipe did you use ?

Made a 1 gallon test batch as it was my first extract attempt.

150g carapils steeped in 3.5 Ltrs
    2 ltrs sparge
    500g wheat spray
    100g demerara sugar
    7g hallertau 45 mins
    2 pinch fresh orange zest 10 mins
    1 pinch dried coriander leaf 10 mins
    5g hallertau 10 mins
    Safale33 Belgian yeast

Total boil time 45 mins

• Advertisement

Made a 1 gallon test batch as it was my first extract attempt.

150g carapils steeped in 3.5 Ltrs
    2 ltrs sparge
    500g wheat spray
    100g demerara sugar
    7g hallertau 45 mins
    2 pinch fresh orange zest 10 mins
    1 pinch dried coriander leaf 10 mins
    5g hallertau 10 mins
    Safale33 Belgian yeast

Total boil time 45 mins

That looks like a great recipe , the t-58 is a good yeast to try or brewferm blanch ,i think t-33 is edme strain english ale ,i have used few times it can be stuborn to finish past 1018 i find

tteknulp wrote: »
    That looks like a great recipe , the t-58 is a good yeast to try or brewferm blanch ,i think t-33 is edme strain english ale ,i have used few times it can be stuborn to finish past 1018 i find

Tbh I actually forgot to take a hydro reading so u could be right, ur doesn't have the sweetness of a high reading though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I put on the 3KG Woodfords Wherry kit on Friday last along with an expired (Apr 13 ) MYOB Wheat Beer. Both took off within hours and are bubbling away furiously since. :)

I chilled a bottle of English Mild Ale that had been bottled for 16 days.
    I used the same carbonation I always use, 2 drops and the thing was flat.
    No carbonation at all. :confused: Also tasted very sweet and caramaly, not sure if its supposed to as I never did that kit before. I put the rest of the bottles back in a warm place to see if it carbonates properly.

I put on the 3KG Woodfords Wherry kit on Friday last along with an expired (Apr 13 ) MYOB Wheat Beer. Both took off within hours and are bubbling away furiously since. :)

No carbonation at all. :confused: Also tasted very sweet and caramaly, not sure if its supposed to as I never did that kit before. I put the rest of the bottles back in a warm place to see if it carbonates properly.

What make of kit was it.

What make of kit was it.

It was the cheap Make Your Own Beer English Mild kit here.

did it ferment correctly ? What was o.g an f.g ? Should not be sweet at all .

Sounds like a fermenting problem ,as 2 drops loads for ale id use 1 per 500ml and 1.5 for pilsner

Iv made the same kit and it does finish sweet, therefore I use it us a base for my oul raspy. A mild ale racked onto a kilo of raspberry in secondary. Lovely summer brew

did it ferment correctly ? What was o.g an f.g ? Should not be sweet at all .

Sounds like a fermenting problem ,as 2 drops loads for ale id use 1 per 500ml and 1.5 for pilsner

Yes it did ferment correctly.
    It was a 1.8KG kit to which I added the HBW can of LME which are 1.5KG cans.
    I also added 300gm Brewing sugar to up the ABV.
    OG was 1050 and FG was 1015.
    Brewdate was 03/05/13 and bottled 25/5/13.

OG was 1050 and FG was 1015.
    Brewdate was 03/05/13 and bottled 25/5/13.

Its about 4.6% abv

Sounds right ,the carbonation i cant understand,how long in bottle above 20c ,and how long in cooler place ? It should be well carbed with 2 drops thats about 8g a bottle

Iv made the same kit and it does finish sweet, therefore I use it us a base for my oul raspy. A mild ale racked onto a kilo of raspberry in secondary. Lovely summer brew

Could I throw the whole lot back into a FV with another yeast for a few more days or would this destroy it. Just wondering if maybe the yeasties were a little jaded seeing as the kit had reached end of life and so couldn't carbonate?

• Advertisement

Its about 4.6% abv

Sounds right ,the carbonation i cant understand,how long in bottle above 20c ,and how long in cooler place ? It should be well carbed with 2 drops thats about 8g a bottle

Its been in the same spot since bottled where temps stay around 18 to 20C.

Could I throw the whole lot back into a FV with another yeast for a few more days or would this destroy it. Just wondering if maybe the yeasties were a little jaded seeing as the kit had reached end of life and so couldn't carbonate?

I'm not too sure on that one to be honest. You could try with half the bottles in case it doesn't work.

1015 is finished as far as i can see,you could get lower say 1010 but problem is not there and u risk infection , does it taste like beer ? or very syrup like ?

Is hydrometer reading correct in water ?

Just wondering if maybe the yeasties were a little jaded seeing as the kit had reached end of life and so couldn't carbonate?

Was kit out of date ?

Was kit out of date ?

Kit was best before Apr 13

1015 is finished as far as i can see,you could get lower say 1010 but problem is not there and u risk infection , does it taste like beer ? or very syrup like ?

Is hydrometer reading correct in water ?

It does taste like beer allbeit a sweet beer. Not offensive just flat.
    Here's hoping a few days back in the warmth will push it on... :)

It does taste like beer allbeit a sweet beer. Not offensive just flat.
    Here's hoping a few days back in the warmth will push it on... :)

Yeah 18-22 for 2 weeks ,then somewhere cooler for a couple more should improve carbonation

Any advise on the best way to batch prime the 3KG Woodfords Wherry kit I've currently got on?
    I usually use carb drops, 2 per 500ml PET bottle but I want to use glass bottles for the first time with this kit but don't want bottle bombs.
    So I was thinking of batch priming but I don't know what's best to use or how much to ensure decent but not explosive carbonation. :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Here's a calculator. Aim for 2.2 to 2.5 volumes and you'll be in the zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

I brewed a batch of home brew years ago that was muck and it kinda put me off, but gonna give it another go - ordered a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit - will keep ye posted on the outcome - and probably plague you all with questions too:-)

Advertisement