Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I made the following last friday , brewferm grand cru x2 9ltr kits with 3 tins of golden syrup,safele t-33 o.g 1072

And make your own beerkit wheat with 1kg malt & 500g dextrose ,safele w06 o.g 1058

Anyone done these before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

tteknulp wrote: »
    I made the following last friday , brewferm grand cru x2 9ltr kits with 3 tins of golden syrup,safele t-33 o.g 1072

And make your own beerkit wheat with 1kg malt & 500g dextrose ,safele w06 o.g 1058

Anyone done these before ?

my next brew will be the MYOB wheat kit, plan is kit with can of LME plus wheat spraymalt.

blueshed wrote: »
    my next brew will be the MYOB wheat kit, plan is kit with can of LME plus wheat spraymalt.

Looks good ,should get a nice brew blue

Forgot to mention i boiled 100g abbey malt & added to fermenter also 1st time using grain with kit ,so should be interesting

Brewferm grand cru

I made this kit on 7/6/13 with 2 x 9ltr kits with 3tins of lyles golden syrup and 100g Abbey Malt (Weyermanns) pitched with Safbrew S-33 Yeast O.G. 1072

took reading today of 1014 but very cloudy i think its about 7.8% now , its meant to finish at 8% but i didnt quite get the 1075 O.G stated on tin.

Has anyone done this kit ? do you think it will clear up ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

00833827 wrote: »
    I brewed a batch of home brew years ago that was muck and it kinda put me off, but gonna give it another go - ordered a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit - will keep ye posted on the outcome - and probably plague you all with questions too:-)

Done this kit when I started out too, first time was nice, second time wasn’t as nice. If it’s not nice don’t give up though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Devi wrote: »
    Done this kit when I started out too, first time was nice, second time wasn’t as nice. If it’s not nice don’t give up though.

Thanks Devi - still researching it. Gonna use 1kg if DME and maybe a little honey. Was thinking of dry hopping too but I guess since I'm starting out I better keep it simple first - I'm a big fan of Donegal Blonde, something like that would be the ultimate aim, but baby steps first, lets get something drinkable to start with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Thanks Devi - still researching it. Gonna use 1kg if DME and maybe a little honey. Was thinking of dry hopping too but I guess since I'm starting out I better keep it simple first - I'm a big fan of Donegal Blonde, something like that would be the ultimate aim, but baby steps first, lets get something drinkable to start with

Sounds good man. Have you got a clone recipe?

Devi wrote: »
    Sounds good man. Have you got a clone recipe?

was going to try this from Coopers own website, with a bit less honey (maybe 200g) and leave it to condition longer in the bottle, maybe 5 weeks at least - seems to give better results with this kit from what i have read.

was going to try this from Coopers own website, with a bit less honey (maybe 200g) and leave it to condition longer in the bottle, maybe 5 weeks at least - seems to give better results with this kit from what i have read.

honey is nearly 100% fementable ,it will leave very little flavour if any .

You could try it as a late addition if its the flavour your after , make sure you boil it first as it may have Bacteria in it.

honey is nearly 100% fementable ,it will leave very little flavour if any .

You could try it as a late addition if its the flavour your after , make sure you boil it first as it may have Bacteria in it.

thanks for the tip - endless possibilities with brewing from what i am discovering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Quick question

After bottling where should I store the beer?

Quick question

After bottling where should I store the beer?

Some where above 18c for 2-3 weeks then in a cooler place say 10c or so for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Racked and added the cinnamon and cloves. 17L of cider. 6x6 inches of cinnamon. 7 cloves. I've heard tell that the cloves can be quite powerful so 1 per 2.5L seemed a reasonable guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Cloves are very powerful. I would have thought 1 to 5L would be more than adequate but I suppose it will all depend on how long they are left soaking...

I used 2 cloves in a 5L batch of mead, which were in the solution for 3 months and it was very pronounced....

Good to know. I may take some of them out this evening then. Thanks for the tip.

edit: I planned to leave it for another 2 weeks before bottling (it's already fully fermented).

Khannie wrote: »
    Good to know. I may take some of them out this evening then. Thanks for the tip.

edit: I planned to leave it for another 2 weeks before bottling (it's already fully fermented).

Well if its only two weeks then maybe its ok. But over a long period they certainly do contribute a lot to the mix.

I've racked 2 six week wine kits to secondary, degassed and added the finings last night.

Also threw on a 4L batch of Aldi White Grape Juice to which I plan to add a litre of Mango & Orange juice once the initial foaming has died down. It took off like a rocket. :)

EDIT: Was just in Aldi so picked up another 5L of White Grape Juice and 5L of Orange Juice and plan to try the WOW recipe in some plastic 5L bottles before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Scrapped my plan for a wit, but I think instead I'll brew some sort of strong, dark Belgian ale, and age it til Christmas. I'll be leaving the country til then fairly shortly, so I won't be tempted to pop them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Plan on bottling a Coopers Mexican Cerveza tomorrow. Didn't do anything special with the brew tbh. Think it was Kit and Coopers Light Liquid Malt. Can't remember off-hand the yeast I used (prob US-04). Been in secondary for about 3 weeks now. I had run low on bottles so needed to drink my stock-pile before I had enough surplus. Think I'll be putting on a Stout of some sort next or a Pilsner, but need to look at what I have in the stores that can be brewed.

lang wrote: »
    Plan on bottling a Coopers Mexican Cerveza tomorrow. Didn't do anything special with the brew tbh. Think it was Kit and Coopers Light Liquid Malt. Can't remember off-hand the yeast I used (prob US-04). Been in secondary for about 3 weeks now. I had run low on bottles so needed to drink my stock-pile before I had enough surplus. Think I'll be putting on a Stout of some sort next or a Pilsner, but need to look at what I have in the stores that can be brewed.

I didnt know you could leave it as long as 3 weeks

If you put ur brew into secondary for that long, and then u want to bottle it and prime it, will it still carbonate ok?

Sorry for the newbie questions :-/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I didnt know you could leave it as long as 3 weeks
    You can leave it 6 or 7 quite safely, I'd say. Rushing a beer is more likely to harm it than leaving it a couple of weeks extra.
    If you put ur brew into secondary for that long, and then u want to bottle it and prime it, will it still carbonate ok?
    Yes. Time in the fermenter doesn't affect carbonation at all -- carbonation is a whole new process that starts from scratch when you prime.

Just ordered that coopers stout pack with dark spraymalt. Looking forward to it arriving. I'm spreadin' ma wings!

Brewferm Diablo 9ltr brew , i made this with 2 tins golden syrup but to 12ltr o.g 1068 ,bottled today fg 1002

eh39.jpg

I was amazed it finished so low that safele t-58 is a beast of a yeast ,perfect for belgian aswell ,its 8.5% ish ,another christmas cracker i hope . 38 x 330mls

I'll be bottling another imperial stout tomorrow. I'll be saving this batch for Christmas. Once I have everything cleaned again I'll be doing a coopers ipa.
    While that's on the go I have to scrounge some cash together to get some more gear, I want to start extract brewing.

I'll be bottling another imperial stout tomorrow.

How did it turn out ? Og + sg etc... Recipe just curious .

I have one of these to make over w/end

How did it turn out ? Og + sg etc... Recipe just curious .

I have one of these to make over w/end

Pretty good, OG was 1080, finished at 1020. I also used oak chips and Jameson again. I love the flavours they add.
    The recipe is simple,
    1xcoopers Irish stout
    1xcoopers dark ale
    2kg dark spraymalt
    While labs Irish ale yeast.

Kicked off my first stout today. Coopers kit + 1KG dark spraymalt. Smells delicious (not what my wife said). OG was only 1.044 so I put in a small bit of glucose (expecting a FG of 1.012 ish which would get me around 4.4%). I left it at around the 21L mark instead of the prescribed 23.

Khannie wrote: »
    Kicked off my first stout today. Coopers kit + 1KG dark spraymalt. Smells delicious.

Its a good reliable stout ,i use safele 04 yeast instead of coopers ,i think its a cleaner finish and i get around 1008-1010 ,your onto a winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭avfc1874

bought a woodfordes wheery real ale kit from tescos .( cheap). wasn't expecting much, only been bottled two weeks. tried a bottle tonight, very surprised. its good stuff. also have a youngs harvest stout on the go. forget to take a reading for strentgh. anyone tried this and know what i should expect. thanks. it smells great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Bottled an AG Citra Pale Ale a couple of weeks ago. Won't get a chance to try it for another week but the sample at bottling was damn tasty. Plenty of hops!!

Can't remember the recipe off hand but I ditched the 60min addition in favour of a bigger 15min and flameout addition. Hopefully the result will be a very hop forward beer. Apart from that it was fairly standard with crystal and a bit of wheat for head retention and Haziness. Biab method btw. :D

Advertisement