Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Shnakey test of the Diablo there, I somehow managed to get it to taste almost exactly like Chimay triple. Can't. Fuccking. Wait. To see how it is when it's properly matured.

Is that the Brewferm kit or your own recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Is that the Brewferm kit or your own recipe?

Brewferm. I used golden syrup and the T-58 yeast strain. I reckon that yeast is magic. Fermented it a bit hotter than I would have liked, but it seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone have any good extract stout / milk stout recipes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone have any good extract stout / milk stout recipes?

Gonna give this one a go next

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dry-dublin-stout-110869/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Conditioning: Coopers IPA
    coming up on 3 weeks in the bottle and its gonna be a little cracker

Fermenter1: Muntons Premium Old Conkerwood
    Brewed short to 21litres. OG is 1.050. Niiice!

Fermenter2: Cabernet Connoissuer Zinfandell(Blush)
    5 days in and the surface is fizzing with the amount of CO2 being kicked off.

Planned:
    St Peters Red Ale as soon as I bottle up the Conkerwood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Juiced the first bunch of windfalls last Thursday, not a huge amount, about 8L but it should be nice. Pink cider, thanks to the red fleshed apples on my larger tree. Plenty more to come, but must plant a few more fruit trees.

Just ordered 3kg DME, T58 yeast and 100g Saaz hops, aiming for a 7.5% extract tripel. Also ordered a fermentation bucket and racking siphon, far less feckin' hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

my first set of brews far from my last ;)

Conditioning: Coopers IPA
    Just bottled today 37 bottles cant wait tried some with 1 drop (most of them) and some with 2 just to see how it turns out.

Fermenter1: Coopers traditional draught (20Lt)
    Started today will see how this turns out seems darker then it should be.
    used 1 KG of spray malt extract extra light

Fermenter2: Coopers Wheat (23Lt)
    Started today, used the Wheat Malt extract for this.
    the wort before adding the yeast i could drink on its own :D i love a good wheat beer

Scuba_Scoper sorry for nicking your format :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My update -

Wurzel's Orange Wine is done and ready to drink. Looks and tastes great, even my girlfriend who can be picky about what she drinks is happily drinking it.

The Woodforde's Admiral Reserve is in conditioning for the last 3 weeks. Had 2 bottles so far, pretty good.

Cooper's IPA with 1.5kg of LME is in the fermenter for it's 3rd week since Sunday. Added 50g of Cascade hops to it on Sunday evening. Will probably bottle Monday evening maybe.

Great to be finally drinking my first batches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

My update -

Wurzel's Orange Wine is done and ready to drink. Looks and tastes great, even my girlfriend who can be picky about what she drinks is happily drinking it.

The Woodforde's Admiral Reserve is in conditioning for the last 3 weeks. Had 2 bottles so far, pretty good.

Cooper's IPA with 1.5kg of LME is in the fermenter for it's 3rd week since Sunday. Added 50g of Cascade hops to it on Sunday evening. Will probably bottle Monday evening maybe.

Great to be finally drinking my first batches!

How long did you condition the Wow for?

• Advertisement

Racked after three weeks. Racked again a week later at which point I sweetened it. Left it another week and then bottled. Starting drinking the next evening.

So I suppose that makes two weeks conditioning I guess.

Racked after three weeks. Racked again a week later at which point I sweetened it. Left it another week and then bottled. Starting drinking the next evening.

So I suppose that makes two weeks conditioning I guess.

Did you bother with Campden tablets or anything? Going to make it tomorrow.

Yeah, used one Campden tablet, some stabiliser and finings.

I followed these instructions

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179&start=0

Took a sample of the pale ale there, it's definitely pale ale. Very nice aroma and bitter aftertaste. Hmmm... hops. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fitzywill

Conditioning: Coopers Canadian Blonde Ale
    Almost 4 weeks in bottle, tried a taster after week 2 & 3 and and they had carbonation but head disappeared quickly, taste ok a little sweet which I am hoping will come good after 5/6 weeks in bottle.... fingers crossed.

Fermenter: Coopers Wheat Beer
    Just brewed with 500g Dry light Malt and 300g Dextrose, great foam after one day so really excited about this one.

Question.... I will use 500ml Paulaner and Erdinger bottles, will use Coopers carbonation drops, thinking 1 per bottle, but I have been reading where people have used 1.5 or even 2.. Anyone have an ideas or have done this before??

Planned : Wheat beer with coriander, lemon, lime and maybe honey

Thanks All.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

i have asked the same question here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057039427

so im going to go by what KAGY suggests and use 5-6g of sucrose (table sugar)

but im also going t play with some to attempt a Frulii clone

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

fitzywill wrote: »
    Conditioning: Coopers Canadian Blonde Ale
    Almost 4 weeks in bottle, tried a taster after week 2 & 3 and and they had carbonation but head disappeared quickly, taste ok a little sweet which I am hoping will come good after 5/6 weeks in bottle.... fingers crossed.

Fermenter: Coopers Wheat Beer
    Just brewed with 500g Dry light Malt and 300g Dextrose, great foam after one day so really excited about this one.

Question.... I will use 500ml Paulaner and Erdinger bottles, will use Coopers carbonation drops, thinking 1 per bottle, but I have been reading where people have used 1.5 or even 2.. Anyone have an ideas or have done this before??

Planned : Wheat beer with coriander, lemon, lime and maybe honey

Thanks All.

2 for 750ml , 1 and a half perfect for 500ml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Different beers have different carbonation requirements. Imagine drinking a very fizzy Stout :-/
    There are online calculators e.g http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html
    But it's personal preference too

Christmas beer

Im planning this one for weekend

3kg plain light malt extract
    450g light honey
    225g crystal malt
    60g black malt
    50g cascade hops in boil
    20g saaz finishing
    30g grated ginger root
    10g ground cinnamon
    Grated zest of 4 oranges
    Safele s05 yeast

o.g 1058
    F.g 1014

It will make a nice festive drink , collecting bits and bobs ,any one know where id get clover honey ? To make it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

tteknulp wrote: »
    Christmas beer

Im planning this one for weekend

3kg plain light malt extract
    450g light honey
    225g crystal malt
    60g black malt
    50g cascade hops in boil
    20g saaz finishing
    30g grated ginger root
    10g ground cinnamon
    Grated zest of 4 oranges
    Safele s05 yeast

o.g 1058
    F.g 1014

It will make a nice festive drink , collecting bits and bobs ,any one know where id get clover honey ? To make it interesting

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/award-winners/blas-na-heieann-2011-winners/blas-na-heieann-2011-products-detail-page/ps/p/speciality-clover-honey/

plan on making a xmas dark ale myself.

• Advertisement

blueshed wrote: »

If adding cloves what amount would be right amount ,with other ingriedients in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

10g ground cinnamon

You sure you read that right?

I put a quarter teaspoon into a festive ginger beer last year and the cinnamon presence was quite noticeable. 10g could completely overpower it.

sharingan wrote: »
    You sure you read that right?

I put a quarter teaspoon into a festive ginger beer last year and the cinnamon presence was quite noticeable. 10g could completely overpower it.

Thanks for that ,
    Maybe 5-6g then ,i want to find the right balance ,so no one ingriedient ,stands out

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Thanks for that ,
    Maybe 5-6g then ,i want to find the right balance ,so no one ingriedient ,stands out

I would recommend using less than 1g. You are not making mince pies here - one of the big risks with spicing beers is how easy it is to overdo it.

sharingan wrote: »
    I would recommend using less than 1g. You are not making mince pies here - one of the big risks with spicing beers is how easy it is to overdo it.

Lol , i just remember doing hoegardeen clone and it was 12g coriander crushed ,i try little and work from that , recipe suggests 10g ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

did an extract over the weekend, Munich Helles - have it in my new fermentation chamber at 14 degrees to start, will lower her later if shes kicked off.

planning for Xmas, gonna see if i can get someone carving a pumpkin and not using the flesh of it and i will make a pumpkin ale. think i need about 3lbs of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Had a sneaky lager brewed day, SMASH (single malt and single hop) with Maris otter and Magnum hops

Here are a few pics
    First wort hopping with Magnum hops
    e0140777-a545-4737-bc1c-3268dc046d12_zps4e99a42d.jpg

Break material in the kettle, as wort runs into the primary
    85fba2c3-a6c1-4806-afcb-b0634812dd84_zpsfb5b18db.jpg

Yeast starter ready to pitch
    75c6c042-678f-4213-8b76-442b2e0b2101_zpsa1dc3ab7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

00833827 wrote: »
    .gonna see if i can get someone carving a pumpkin and not using the flesh of it and i will make a pumpkin ale. think i need about 3lbs of the stuff.

Roast the flesh if you can, it caramelize the sugars and make a missive difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

oblivious wrote: »
    Roast the flesh if you can, it caramelize the sugars and make a missive difference

yep i intend to - i suppose its more of an American brew, but might be nice and festive by Xmas/ Prob just do 3 gallons batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Bottled the Santas Winter Warmer last week. Kicked off a coopers stout yesterday.

Advertisement