Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rhonin wrote: »
    Bottled the Santas Winter Warmer last week. Kicked off a coopers stout yesterday.

:) nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

I have 3 beers on my to do list. Have recently moved country so only getting back on my brewing feet now.
    1st brew is going to be a Bounty Porter - Going to use a big portion of Chocolate malt, some Lactose for sweetness and a bit of toasted coconut in secondary.

2nd brew is one which is popular in alot of bars over here. Belgian IPA - basically an IPA with Belgian Malt and Yeast. Its a hybrid but the ones I have tasted are exceptional thirst quenchers

3rd brew planned is an ESB with american hops - prefer ESB with new zealand hops but they are impossible to find here until November/December

willabur wrote: »
    2nd brew is one which is popular in alot of bars over here. Belgian IPA - basically an IPA with Belgian Malt and Yeast. Its a hybrid but the ones I have tasted are exceptional thirst quenchers.

Hi here is one I did in May, if you're looking for a recipe and it received good reviews at beoirs homebrew meeting in July.

What I have picked up is that WLP530 is onen of the best belgian yeast to interact with floral America C hops. Also use bright hops, keep the dank one to a min

Beligan IPA

Batch Size (L): 22.50
    Total Grain (kg): 6.43
    Anticipated OG: 1.069
    Anticipated SRM: 7.4
    Anticipated IBU: 65

Grain/Sugar

% Amount Malt
    80.9 5.20 kg. Pale Malt
    15.6 1.00 kg. Cane Sugar
    3.5 0.23 kg. Crystal 55L

Hops

Amount Name Time
    20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. 60 min.
    28.00 g. Citra 20 min.
    28.00 g. Centennial 10 min.
    20.00 g. Summit 10 min.
    28.00 g. Citra 5 min.
    28.00 g. Simcoe 5 min.
    28.00 g. Citra 0 min (20 minute hop steep)
    28.00 g. Simcoe 0 min.(20 minute hop steet)

Yeast WLP 530

cheers dude,

My Recipe was looking a bit like this

40% Pale Malt
    40% Munich
    10% Crystal 80
    10% Biscuit

then throw a kilo of Demara in the Kettle.

Don't have access to Simcoe, Citra or Centenial so going to use Goldings US, Cascade and another Hop here called by a number which is similar to Centenial

I was going to use a Dry Belgian Ale yeast - s-33

thoughts?

Looks great , if it was me I would drop the crystal and biscuit to 5%, let the yeast and hop shine

Hops are a good choice, load your C hops for big aroma addations. And dry hop to If you want

Yeast: if you can I would go for safale T-58 or brewfirm wheat, both are very good dry belgian.

Hope this is of some help, should be a cracker :)

• Advertisement

cheers dude, I will give that a go and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Just bottled up my first Wheat Beers (Coopers with WB-06, Orange and Coriander(how original!)).

Ordered The Coopers Australian Pale ale - want to do it as is, to compare to the bottled varied, and after that I think I will start tinkering with kits. Anyone have any experience with the kit compared to the commercial ones? - how does it compare?

Found this great post today:

http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2732.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Just opened my first extract brew after graduating from kits. Its a Three Floyds Hop Zombie clone, 80 IBU. Im amazed at the quality. Hope this wasnt a fluke!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

willabur wrote: »
    2nd brew is one which is popular in alot of bars over here. Belgian IPA - basically an IPA with Belgian Malt and Yeast. Its a hybrid but the ones I have tasted are exceptional thirst quenchers

Where is here ? I sampled some belgian IPAs in the Leuven beer festival in 2012. Cracking beers.

As for recipe advice, I second what oblivious said. Dial back the crystal/and biscuit and let the hops shine. A little bit of wheat malt or flaked wheat to build a nice head.

Dry hop too. Will give a nice edge and zing in the hops.

Will bear that in mind.

Here is Quebec in Canada - very strong local craft beer scene. Local laws really encourage the craft beer industry as a whole, every corner shop has a very good selection of beer with the big hitters really in the background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

got stuck in to my brupak brewers choice bavarian weissbier..very nice.tastes stronger than it actually is,or maybe i miscalculated the abv.
    has that clove flavour that i associate with most weissbiers.altho be it a mellow flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Tasted the Coopers IPA during the weekend after 1.5 weeks conditioning.

It has 1.5kg of LME and dry hopped with 50g of Cascade hops.

Very, very hoppy and nice, great aroma. Very similiar to Proper Job I was aiming for.

Blackberry wine has been fermenting in the juice for a few days, time to add sugar this evening.

Next up is Ditch's Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fadedvision

Just put on a Coopers Wheat beer, and just tasting a Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout after 14 days in bottle and it is Good...Got to love the Stout kits

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Keedowah wrote: »
    Just bottled up my first Wheat Beers (Coopers with WB-06, Orange and Coriander(how original!)).

Ordered The Coopers Australian Pale ale - want to do it as is, to compare to the bottled varied, and after that I think I will start tinkering with kits. Anyone have any experience with the kit compared to the commercial ones? - how does it compare?

Found this great post today:

http://nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2732.0

Coopers Pale Ale kit was my first brew-used 1kg DME, Safale 04 yeast and dry hopped with some East Kent Goldings. It was pretty bland at first but after about three months developed into a really nice beer.
    Did a pumpkin ale over the weekend, with cinnamon, orange zest and clove - bubbling away nicely right now and smelling good which is a relief given that I dropped a screwdriver into the batch while cooling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had to dump 8 crates worth of brew last night - a Bitter, an IPA and a Real Ale - all kits which were made on the same day, along with an extract ale.

The extract is ok, apart from I put in double the sugar for a pint bottle, so it needs to be in the freezer for a half hour before openeing really slowly - tastes fantastic though.

Dumped the bottles.

Tonight is bottling time for an extract brown ale, an extract red ale and a kit brown ale tweaked with cinnamon, nutmeg and star anise for a trial Xmas brew.

One more brew day before Xmas, where we'll do the red ale again, and hopefully do a paler coloured ale with Hersbrucker and/or Saaz hops which we have lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Had to dump 8 crates worth of brew last night - a Bitter, an IPA and a Real Ale - all kits which were made on the same day, along with an extract ale.

The extract is ok, apart from I put in double the sugar for a pint bottle, so it needs to be in the freezer for a half hour before openeing really slowly - tastes fantastic though.

Dumped the bottles.

Tonight is bottling time for an extract brown ale, an extract red ale and a kit brown ale tweaked with cinnamon, nutmeg and star anise for a trial Xmas brew.

One more brew day before Xmas, where we'll do the red ale again, and hopefully do a paler coloured ale with Hersbrucker and/or Saaz hops which we have lying around.

Can i ask why you dumped so much beer ?

tteknulp wrote: »
    Can i ask why you dumped so much beer ?

infected

sampled a couple of bottles from each batch, and all were undrinkable.

Don't know how it happened, we are always really careful with the sterilisation and everything.

We don't mind so much, with them all being kits, so not much money wasted - but it's a learning experience, we obviously took the eye off the ball at some stage or another.

I can't believe it about the extract though - the night we bottled it we opened out first ever extract and they were over-carbonated too - but then I used the very same equation to prime the second extract, so these ones are over-carbonated too - I felt a right idiot, then didn't have the time to fix it.

The two extracts we have in the fermenters now though, I'll get them right with the priming thie evening - batch prime them with about 3-4 g of sugar per 500ml I think.

Question, we are using crown caps and a capper - how do I ensure the caps are sterile?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

how do I ensure the caps are sterile?
    They don't need to be sterile, just sanitised, and it's the same process as everything else: soak them in sanitiser.

infected

sampled a couple of bottles from each batch, and all were undrinkable.

Don't know how it happened, we are always really careful with the sterilisation and everything.

We don't mind so much, with them all being kits, so not much money wasted - but it's a learning experience, we obviously took the eye off the ball at some stage or another.

I can't believe it about the extract though - the night we bottled it we opened out first ever extract and they were over-carbonated too - but then I used the very same equation to prime the second extract, so these ones are over-carbonated too - I felt a right idiot, then didn't have the time to fix it.

The two extracts we have in the fermenters now though, I'll get them right with the priming thie evening - batch prime them with about 3-4 g of sugar per 500ml I think.

Question, we are using crown caps and a capper - how do I ensure the caps are sterile?

Starsan is your only man ,it lasts ages .

I buy 5ltr ashbeck water in tesco as im in hard water area ,7ml starsan in 5ltrs bottled water= 5ltr of excellent sanitizer ,its good for months ,i check ph with
    Probe it has to be below 3 to kill all bacteria ,i put in flower sprayer ,and use for bottle caps etc .... Bottle gushers is a sure sign of infection especially if prime amount is correct.

110g for ale/stout . 150g lager is right i find for 23ltr

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Put on a Coopers Selection Irish Stout yesterday. Did a Hop Tea with EKG on boil for 12 mins and then added some Fuggles to steep for about 5 mins. Used Nottingham yeast which I rehydrated. Just checked it this morning and the Kreussen is about an inch and a half high. So seems that it kicked off nicely. OG was 1.052. Not looking for a particular end gravity but usually I get beers around the 5%ABV.

I brewed this a while back but had to throw out most of the bottles as think they got an infection or something. Hoping this one comes good. First brew I've put on in months so we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had 3 infected brews myself over the summer, got me some starsan plus a new FV and brewed 4 kits since. 2 im drinking atm and all is good and 2 are in the FVs.

I also batched primed the last 2 brews, 85g of sugar for a 20 litre brew. both were the Finlandia dark ale kits with a bit of hacking.

Christ, going to have to do something - another 40litres down the drain last night - vinegar smell off two batches. Both extract.

Another batch of kit brown ale with nutmeg, cinnamon and star anise was grand though, hoping the start anise will mellow in it by Xmas.

We were chatting and have narrowed it down to a couple of things - so we are getting together in a week to wash everything in boiling water, and sanitise everything, going to get that Starsan stuff.

I think we may have been doing too much and getting sloppy (two extracts and a kit per brew day).

On a brighter note, we made an extract a while back which I thought I'd ruined with priming with too much sugar, but opened a bottle of that last night and it wasn't a gusher, and tastes pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Christ, going to have to do something - another 40litres down the drain last night - vinegar smell off two batches.

Feel your pain. Between long fingers and illness my wheat beer was left 5 or 6 weeks in the primary. Definitely lost confidence in the bleach vinegar mix

KAGY wrote: »
    Feel your pain. Between long fingers and illness my wheat beer was left 5 or 6 weeks in the primary. Definitely lost confidence in the bleach vinegar mix

The batches last night were in Primary for 25 days - or three weeks and 4 days. Surely not too long.

The batches last night were in Primary for 25 days - or three weeks and 4 days. Surely not too long.

25 days is fine ,i have heard of brewers leaving for 5 weeks without ill effect ,but you do run the risk of off flavours from yeast cake , i usally leave 2-3 weeks and never had a problem id say 2 weeks is very least

Yep, I don't think it's a timing issue at all - I reckon we got slopy with something.

I have it narrowed down to Hydrometer and/or thermometer.

Hydro would have been santitsed for first batch tested, then perhaps left down and used again for dipping in subsequent batches, and the Thermometer the same

25 days is fine ,i have heard of brewers leaving for 5 weeks without ill effect ,but you do run the risk of off flavours from yeast cake , i usally leave 2-3 weeks and never had a problem id say 2 weeks is very least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wow I have never had an infected batch... what am I doing right?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pinot Grigio bubbling slowly in the secondary, Barolo burping furiously in the primary. I've been pleased with how my beers turned out, so I'm looking forward to my first wines. Next up: cider!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

American Pale Ale. My first extract brew. It's bubbling away for a week now.

Advertisement