Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Started three batches of wurzel wine three nights ago,just starting to see airlock activity probably to do with the cold temperature as no electric for the last couple of nights.I have a brupak stout extract and brewdog Hammer of Thor lager to start when the temperature gets a bit warmer or when I sort a heater out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Folks i am thinking of ordering this Kit. It would only be my second time getting a Kit, as the one i got ,was with the Coopers set i got for Christmas.

Is everything i need in this Kit to brew the Beer apart from the Drops you need to prime the bottles with ?

Is there any other Ingredients i would need?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

That 3.2KG kit is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Keedowah wrote: »
    That 3.2KG kit is all you need.
    Cheers for the response. I ordered the drops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I put on 3 x 30 bottle wine kits last night.
    Two of them are the 7 day Australian Pinot Grigio which I've done in the past and is very tasty. Although I didn't just leave it for seven days, more like three weeks. The other is a Docs merlot kit which takes about 6 to 8 weeks but is a nice wine when done.

I have a few other wine kits and beer kits yet to do when I get the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That's some amount of wine howamidifferent!

Here's my current production line:

Drinking:
    Cooper's IPA made withe LME and dry hopped with Cascade
    Blackberry Wine
    WOW

Conditioning:
    Woodforde's Wherry Ale

Fermenting:
    Gallon of Blackberry Wine
    Gallon of WOW
    23L of Munton's Wheat Beer made with wheat malt.

Next:
    Probably more Wow (Can't go too far wrong being honest! :D)
    Evil Dog American Double IPA

I really want to do more country wines - would love to make a wine from tree sap. Girlfriend wants to try oak leaf wine later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Monster brew day in the back garden to brew up 225 litres of lambic in early March. Bug farm imported specially from the US, arriving this week. Will be going into a barrel in my shed, not to be seen for 1 year+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So at the weekend we bottled our most recent beer, brewed exactly 3 weeks ago.

We went back to basics, as we'd lost a good few beers to infections recently. Made a pretty basic Red Ale. 3 kilo of DME, about half a kilo of speciality grain (few different types) an three hop additions. About 20 litres of water. On brew day we cleaned and santitsed everything properly - and did the same at the weekend, bottled it and had a little taste from the hydrometer - it's quite nice.

We couldn't brew because HBW never sent an order that had been placed over a week previous - which included the DME for the second batch, and a copper chiller. Disappointed we didn't get to brew. We are aiming to make the same beer again, and keep it consistent.

Milled 21Kg of unmalted whole wheat earlier today in preparation of our upcoming lambic brew day. Seriously hard work. Have never milled whole wheat before, the Crankenstein 2S, the Bosch 850rpm drill, and their owner, were maxed out trying to cope with it. Took maybe an hour to do the full 21Kg as it had to be done in tiny amounts or it just jammed the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Tube wrote: »
    Milled 21Kg of unmalted whole wheat earlier today in preparation of our upcoming lambic brew day. Seriously hard work. Have never milled whole wheat before, the Crankenstein 2S, the Bosch 850rpm drill, and their owner, were maxed out trying to cope with it. Took maybe an hour to do the full 21Kg as it had to be done in tiny amounts or it just jammed the mill.

hi
    how does that recipe go

• Advertisement

3.2kg pilsner malt, 1.6kg milled wheat. Step mash to hit the right temps. 50g of old hops in the 2hr boil. That's for a 20L recipe. There are 8 of us involved in the brew, brewing 20 or 40 litres each.

After cooling transferred to a wine barrel and bug farm added.

Leave for 1 year or so. (Needs to be tasted every 3 months or so to see is it "ready")

What are people's thoughts on doing 10 litre batches? I'd be looking to steep and boil 5 litres, then top up with 5 litres.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's fine as long as you're happy with the quantity:effort ratio. I know one home brewer who does 10L extract brews as standard.

Oh, we'd be doing a 20l at the same time.

Our plan is to "perfect" one beer that we can then tweak, and also to do "experimental" smaller batch brews (plan is a Black IPA for our first one, simply because we have a load of darker grain that I want to start using).

Our "main" brew is a simple red ale recipe that we can tweak the hops, grain used, add more fermentables, different yeasts, so it can morph into other styles - meanwhile we have a smaller batch on the go of something completely different. If it turns out ok we'd do a larger brew of it the next time maybe.

The quantity:effort is pretty much out the window as it is, with 6 of us involved with the buys and brew days, it's more of a hobby than a "make beer instead of buy beer" concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Just did my first home brew Monday a brew in the bag red ale.
    Not holding much hope for it I have to start somewhere do.
    I've been slowly slipping deeper into the world of beer the last 5 years .
    I've plenty of ideas for brews so can't wait to bottel this batch so can get brewing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

matrim wrote: »
    I tested the gravity on this last night and it is coming down so it is fermenting just not a vigorously as I would expect. Also tasted like it's coming along nicelyt too :)

The fact that there is no airlock activity might suggest that there's a small leak in the lid of my bucket.

Hopefully checking doesn't affect the beer.

I bottled this last night. The gravity hadn't come down as much as I'd hoped and had barely moved from this last test.

My OG was 1.051 and the estimated FG was 1.010 but I ended up with 1.018

When I tested a couple of weeks ago I think t was around 1.023

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kicked off 60L batch of lidl's finest apple juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Khannie wrote: »

Bottling day will be a lot of fun with that lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Planning on doing a tc with an ale yeast and stopping fermentation at around 1010-1015, Letting it bottle carb first and then heat pasteurising the bottles to stop fermentation. The reason is to leave the natural sweetness without having to use artificial sweeteners,my main concern is will the yeast have had time to clean up after its self

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

bottled a stout, got an English bitter in the FV and have 50L of cider to bottle very soon. busy washing bottles this evening, need to hurry and tidy up as wife home soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

had my first spoiled batch.pretty sucky having to dump it,but sure onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had my first spoiled batch.pretty sucky having to dump it,but sure onwards and upwards

do you know what went wrong ?

had 3 in a row last summer :( , done 9 since all all being good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Last few were the same for me, planning my first brew in months for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Khannie wrote: »

that time of year again, will be reay for bbq time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

blueshed wrote: »
    do you know what went wrong ?

had 3 in a row last summer :( , done 9 since all all being good :)

not sure what happened,my og was very high so it was probably something at the beginning that went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I just picked up the Evil Dog IPA and a Coopers Dark Ale from the Mottly Brew, plan to brew the dark ale tomorrow.

Edwardius wrote: »
    Bottling day will be a lot of fun with that lot!

I know!! By jaysus I hate the bottling.
    GY A1 wrote: »
    that time of year again, will be reay for bbq time :D

Assuming it survives that long. :)

I just picked up the Evil Dog IPA and a Coopers Dark Ale from the Mottly Brew, plan to brew the dark ale tomorrow.

Interested to hear how you get on. I've recently fallen in love with ales.

I've had two now. :( One stout and one cider with berries. Bitter experience dumping it. I've become completely mental about sanitisation since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

When I was storing the bottles of my new stout I found 5 bottles of turbo cider that I made last summer. It'll be interesting to see the change after 6 odd months

Advertisement