Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

I bottles this hack of the Discover APA from HBC, it smells very citrusy and tasted great. i also found 5 bottles of the lat one that i din't know i had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Was doing a shed clear out before my first brew in about 8 months planned for Sunday.

Found a dozen bottles of a spiced beer I made in 2012, that was matured brilliantly. Best head retention of any beer I've made.

Also found a bottle of raspberry ale I made in April last year. Cracked it open and got the most wonderful hit of raspberry. Tasted gorgeous too, shame 'twas the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I decided to brew the Coopers Dark Ale on saturday night. I made it with 500g of dark DME (all I had handy) 500g of dextrose.

It has dropped to 1006 today from 1038. I decided to go with this rather than the Evil Dog IPA mostly due to the fact I'm still trying to improve my technique and am happier to "ruin" this batch..

The biggest problem I faces is my temperature control, I have a small apartment that is like a sauna even in winter.. I managed to keep the brew controlled as best I could with wet towels and ice.. the lowest I could get it to was 23c

One thing I hope to do for my next batch is to get a cheap plastic container I can sit the FV into and place water in the bottom and ice packs if needed.

I had a little taste of the sample I took to measure the gravity and it tastes a lot better than my previous two brews. I will leave it for another week before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I decided to brew the Coopers Dark Ale on saturday night. I made it with 500g of dark DME (all I had handy) 500g of dextrose.

It has dropped to 1006 today from 1038. I decided to go with this rather than the Evil Dog IPA mostly due to the fact I'm still trying to improve my technique and am happier to "ruin" this batch..

The biggest problem I faces is my temperature control, I have a small apartment that is like a sauna even in winter.. I managed to keep the brew controlled as best I could with wet towels and ice.. the lowest I could get it to was 23c

One thing I hope to do for my next batch is to get a cheap plastic container I can sit the FV into and place water in the bottom and ice packs if needed.

I had a little taste of the sample I took to measure the gravity and it tastes a lot better than my previous two brews. I will leave it for another week before bottling.

So your only on day 4 in fermenter is that right? If do I'd leave it until at least Saturday week

stuchyg wrote: »
    So your only on day 4 in fermenter is that right? If do I'd leave it until at least Saturday week

Fair point, that would give it 14 days in primary, most likely I wont have the time to bottle until then anyway so it may work out well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ronan are you living around Finglas or somewhere close? We should meet for a pint, last pint we had together was many moons ago in Wellington, NZ ;)

By the gods! I'm down in stepaside these days.. PM on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Did a lambic in a wine barrel last weekend. Nice cheesey look to it now!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5959.0;attach=5980;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5959.0;attach=6012;image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Ive had a Tooheys Larger fermintating for two weeks today. Final Gravity has been at 1.012. Its has been sitting at that for 3 days. Is it ok to Bottle?

On the Tooheys Kit i got , it said it should be at 1.004

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No harm leaving it a while longer and it might help the flavour, but that sounds about done.

• Advertisement

Why did it not drop further ? Just wondering as the can said it should be around 1.004.

Just wondering did I do something wrong.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Why did it not drop further ?
    The yeast decided not to. 1.012 is a very normal finishing gravity for a kit or extract brew. You'd get a lower gravity (and awful beer) if you just horsed a load of sugar in as your top-up fermentable. But you didn't do that, did you?
    Just wondering as the can said it should be around 1.004.
    Kit instructions lie and mislead as a rule. Don't pay any attention to them, ever, about anything.
    Just wondering did I do something wrong.
    If the beer tastes OK, you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Planning a Citra, Lemon and Basil blonde ale for the run in to the summer. Citra boiled for 30 mins, basil leaves and lemon zest boiled for 15 minutes and then putting a bit of all three into the bucket after fermentation has died down too. Should be insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bottled my 60 litres of cider last night.

The waiting begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

anybody try the hammer of thor lager yet.thinking of giving it a go as my next brew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

this is my Brew no: 6
    a coopers Indian pale ale, nice and creamy head when bottle is cooled to 10*c

299753.jpg

just started brew no: 7
    its a
    Cobnar Wood Northern Brown 3.8 Kg Beer Kit
    this is my first time to use fuggles, so looking forward to how this works out,
    given time I will expand into extract brewing.
    im really enjoying this.
    I think im drinking too much though.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The girlfriend and I love coopers IPA. I dry hop it with Cascade but next time I do it I'll create a hop tea as well with some pellets at the start using a French press to add some bitterness.

Drinking - the tail end of a Coopers IPA batch, Woodfordes Wherry, and Muntons wheat beer.

Brewing - a gallon of blackberry wine.

Next - another gallon of Orange wine. Then when I reckon I'll have some bottles empty I'm going to put on the infamous Evil Dog double IPA kit. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

rameire wrote: »
    just started brew no: 7
    its a
    Cobnar Wood Northern Brown 3.8 Kg Beer Kit
    this is my first time to use fuggles, so looking forward to how this works out

I did the Cobnar Wood kit a few weeks back, and it's turned out well enough.

Then when I reckon I'll have some bottles empty I'm going to put on the infamous Evil Dog double IPA kit. Looking forward to that.

Have you done this before? I'm very fond of the O Hara's double IPA at the moment.

Just Brewed a Finlandia Premium Lager 1.5kg. This is my third Kit. Hopefully this turns out well.

Anyone ever done a Finlandia Premium Lager Kit?

Next is going to be a Strawberry Cider for the Summer, as the Woman asked me could i do one.

• Advertisement

Just finished bottling the Coppers Dark Ale I started 2 weeks ago. Had a sneaky taste and so far it tastes really good. We shall see what it is like in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Last few weeks i have bottled 48L of cider, 21L of stout and 21L of english bitter.

Have a better brew northern brown ale kit to make then going to try an all grain brew, recipe undecided yet.

Also going to try a few hedgegrow wines, first up is a gorse wine then elderfliwer and dandoline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Khannie wrote: »
    Have you done this before? I'm very fond of the O Hara's double IPA at the moment.

No, not before. Could be a few weeks before I kick it off but I'll definitely be letting ye know on here how it turns out.

I'm sort of hoping it will be like Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

No, not before. Could be a few weeks before I kick it off but I'll definitely be letting ye know on here how it turns out.

I'm sort of hoping it will be like Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

I'm still relatively new to ales tbh, but I might just give that a whirl alongside my extract attempts which I'm hoping to kick off this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

anybody try the hammer of thor lager yet.thinking of giving it a go as my next brew

Bottled a batch last Friday,left it around three weeks to ferment to 1010 but the temperature was cold.A nice kit to brew it tasted quite sweet when bottling but read it improves after around 4 weeks in the bottle.looking forward to tasting in a couple of weeks

Going to do an Oatmeal Stout next brew day, alongside our 3rd attempt at a consistent base Red Ale, first one came out well, second one was brewed last brew day, with a 10l batch of a Black IPA which will be dry hopped with Magnum & Challanger.

The Oatmeal stout will have a Stout Grain list, plus the addition of a pound of oats into the mix for steeping.

I'm hoping for a creamy, thick feeling stout from this.

plus the addition of a pound of oats into the mix for steeping.

I'm hoping for a creamy, thick feeling stout from this.
    I'm told that "quick" oats are what you need if you're just steeping. Ordinary porridge oats won't do anything unless you mash them. Mini-mash is one way to do this for an extract brew, and isn't much harder than steeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm told that "quick" oats are what you need if you're just steeping. Ordinary porridge oats won't do anything unless you mash them. Mini-mash is one way to do this for an extract brew, and isn't much harder than steeping.

Any rolled/flaked product will have gelatinisation the starch making it available for mashing mini mashing. I suspect the quick oats are just rolled thinner.

from reading up on the oat stuff, yeah, it looks like the "quick" variety are simply rolled thinner, or even cut smaller for quicker cooking times. Probably will get the quick ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

My oud bruin contribution towards a barrel project in the carboy. The demijohn has the same beer, but I'm keeping that for my own mixing and blending.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6053.0;attach=6050;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6053.0;attach=6051;image

Advertisement