Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

GY A1 wrote: »
    what was ur recipe :pac:

70 flower heads
    5kg of sugar
    Juice and rind of 3 lemons
    16tbs of lemon juice
    15tbs of white wine vinegar
    1 TSP dried yeast
    Boiled 3 litres of water added sugar and when dissolved added to bucket topped up to 24 litres with well water,trimmed elderflowers removing some of the stalks added all ingredients to bucket and gave a good stir.SG 1085 fitted airlock and she bubbled away.this is a slightly modified river cottage recipe which I will probably will leave ferment out and prime in 2 litre soft drink bottles. This is my first time making it and not sure if I was too heavy with the sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

This weather is playing havoc with my brews. I have no proper brew fridge due to lack of space. I have my FV in a water bath with regular ice block changes and wrapped in a wet tshirt.. still struggling to keep it at 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

This weather is playing havoc with my brews. I have no proper brew fridge due to lack of space. I have my FV in a water bath with regular ice block changes and wrapped in a wet tshirt.. still struggling to keep it at 20c.

Meh, it's no big deal unless you're lagering. Currently tasting my hefeweizen. Slightly over carbonated but tasty as hell. Sampling the mead too - it tastes like a Sauterne for some weird reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

70 flower heads
    5kg of sugar
    16tbs of lemon juice
    1 TSP dried yeast
    Boiled 3 litres of water added sugar and when dissolved added to bucket topped up to 24 litres with well water,trimmed elderflowers removing some of the stalks added all ingredients to bucket and gave a good stir.SG 1085 fitted airlock and she bubbled away.this is a slightly modified river cottage recipe which I will probably will leave ferment out and prime in 2 litre soft drink bottles. This is my first time making it and not sure if I was too heavy with the sugar

Might try this at the weekend. any more tgoughts on the amount of sugar?

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Might try this at the weekend. any more tgoughts on the amount of sugar?

Still bubbling away down to 1020 really nice taste to it although strong elderflower flavour which I like,I removed the elderflowers after four days so if you wanted it a bit mellower I would remove the elderflowers after 2 or 3 days.I would say its going to finish up 10-12 percent which will be perfect for me I like a bit of a kick!another option would be to make it with less sugar and add vodka at bottling stage would make a great ice cold drink for bbqs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Dunkel Hefeweizen

Bottled today F.G. 1008 so about 5.2% without priming , got 44 500ml swing tops

(1.5 kg) plain amber malt extract syrup
    (1.5 kg) plain dark malt extract syrup
    (340 g) crystal malt
    (110g) chocolate malt
    (110 g) German Caraffe black malt
    (600g) dextrose
    (42g) Crystal hops (boiling)
    (28g) H. herbucker hops (flavor and aroma)

German yeast

Brewed to 22 ltrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I finally got a 33l pot. Going to try and clone a modus hop using this extract clone reciepe.

Anything I should note, guessing I'll be skipping burton water salt step

Also is that to just steep the grains in 10l of water for 20mins?
    Modus Hoperandi - Clone
    American Amber Ale (6 B)Type: Extract
    Batch Size: 5.25 gal
    Boil Size: 6.72 gal
    Boil Time: 60 min
    End of Boil Vol: 5.72 gal
    Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
    Equipment: 8 Gal. Megapot

0.33 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 mins)
    10.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Steep @ 153 20 minutes
    3 lbs 10.9 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Split DME bill for late boil add
    0.50 oz Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min
    0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min
    0.50 oz Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min
    4 lbs 6.7 oz Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](3.0 SRM) Late boil DME add
    7.2 oz Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 SRM) Late boil DME add
    1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
    1.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
    2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min
    2.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml]

Dry hop direct in Primary
    2.75 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop
    1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.30 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    Seems odd, but maybe. I'd wrap it in muslin/cheesecloth and steep it in 3L of water at ~60c for 20mins and then sparge with another 3L at the same temperature.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Seems odd, but maybe. I'd wrap it in muslin/cheesecloth and steep it in 3L of water at ~60c for 20mins and then sparge with another 3L at the same temperature.

Would the extract's bring the volume up to the 25l? First time doing a full extract, found the partial too watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I finally got a 33l pot. Going to try and clone a modus hop using this extract clone reciepe.

Anything I should note, guessing I'll be skipping burton water salt step

The L after the 10.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L refers to grain colour in degrees Lovibond °L or approx 20 EBC. Darker grains will have a higher number. Just look for a crystal malt of about 20 EBC and it will work fine. You can steep the crystal malt in a muslin bag for 20 min in about 3L of water at 70°C adding resulting liquid to the boiler and rinse out grain bag with another 3L at 70°C again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Would the extract's bring the volume up to the 25l?
    No, you'll need to add water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wooo, guess what? :D Girlfriend has got me my equipment for my birthday! Won't be getting it yet, but...

I've got an IPA and a Porter that I'm gonna brew up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Currently have the Hbc discover America pale away bubbling away nicely. It will be my firat time keeping a beer, and I'm looking forward to serving it from the keezer I've built. Next I want to make a weissbier, and I'm thinking of doing a gallon trial of a tangerine wheat, currently trying to source tangerines or an extract, if it comes to it I might consider throwing some tanora in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

calnand wrote: »
    Currently have the Hbc discover America pale away bubbling away nicely. It will be my firat time keeping a beer, and I'm looking forward to serving it from the keezer I've built. Next I want to make a weissbier, and I'm thinking of doing a gallon trial of a tangerine wheat, currently trying to source tangerines or an extract, if it comes to it I might consider throwing some tanora in.

Any pictures of your keezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

70 flower heads
    5kg of sugar
    16tbs of lemon juice
    1 TSP dried yeast

did a 28L brew myself, just moved it to secondary last night after a week in primary and the aroma was something else.

used the flowers of about 20 heads, 5kg of sugar, 500g honey, 3 lemons, 1 orange, 6 tbs of white wine vinegar and youngs wine yeast.
    also got OG of 1085.

blueshed wrote: »
    did a 28L brew myself, just moved it to secondary last night after a week in primary and the aroma was something else.

used the flowers of about 20 heads, 5kg of sugar, 500g honey, 3 lemons, 1 orange, 6 tbs of white wine vinegar and youngs wine yeast.
    also got OG of 1085.

I had to travel so had to leave it to its own devices I suspect mine will end up more like wine it was at 1020 couple of weeks ago, what's yours dropped too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

More St. Peter's Ruby Red bottled last night.

Well I'm never doing a brew without a wort chiller again. Did up another batch of the HBC discover America last night.

I had to travel so had to leave it to its own devices I suspect mine will end up more like wine it was at 1020 couple of weeks ago, what's yours dropped too?

very glad you asked me that question, it's stuck on 1065 :(

i under pitched my yeast, only used the sachet of youngs wine yeast which is good for 5L.

i have some youngs cider yeast which is good for 23L, would that be ok to use or shoud i try and get more wine yeast

i under pitched my yeast, only used the sachet of youngs wine yeast which is good for 5L.

i have some youngs cider yeast which is good for 23L, would that be ok to use or shoud i try and get more wine yeast

I used a teaspoon of Young's wine yeast ,I would use the cider yeast but maybe someone with more experience will suggest something else,I would of also left it in primary till it dropped right down before moving it to secondary

• Advertisement

I used a teaspoon of Young's wine yeast ,I would use the cider yeast but maybe someone with more experience will suggest something else,I would of also left it in primary till it dropped right down before moving it to secondary

just pitched the cider yeast, wont make that mistake again :P

not to see how it turns out, you up for a btl swap and compare brews.

just pitched the cider yeast, wont make that mistake again :P

not to see how it turns out, you up for a btl swap and compare brews.

Will leave you know when I taste mine to see if its drinkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Anyone have any tips for making a tasty stout? Dying to have a cut off brewing one soon.

Anyone have any tips for making a tasty stout? Dying to have a cut off brewing one soon.

If you're able to do extract kits the HBC extra stout is an extremely nice stout. I'm down to my last 8 bottles so I'll be making another batch soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks lads. I think I'll have to go with that APA extract kit from the home brew company again actually and suck up the time cost. I just couldn't bring myself not to do it. :)

Did this in the end. Glad I did. :) Think I'll be moving on to all grain as of next month. Probably BIAB to start off.

Dry hopped my HBC discover pale ale the other day with 30g amarillo, the smell as I walk by is amazing, ca't wait till I get it into the keg. Which Ireally need to clean soon.
    And I'm currently trying to source tangerines for my next exbeeriment. proving wuite hard to find them in any shops.

Khannie wrote: »
    Did this in the end. Glad I did. :) Think I'll be moving on to all grain as of next month. Probably BIAB to start off.

got 2 BIABs done myself now with the lend of gear. should have my own set up ready this week.

plenty of good info here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/43-partial-mash-brewing/

took a reading yesterday and down to 1050

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I just racked my gorse flower wine again, and it's down to 990 (so about 14.4% ABV). I had a sneaky taste - while it's quite rough around the edges, it's showing some great promise.

• Advertisement

took a reading yesterday and down to 1050

Going the right direction,bottled mine yesterday first batch sg1085 -fg1004 the second batch sg110-fg1010 I primed with a teaspoon of sugar per litre was conservative with the sugar as I would say its still fermenting most bottled into plastic bottles for safety!filled a demijohn to see how it turns out as wine,tasted strong and a good whack of elderflowers maybe too much but hopefully will mellow a bit,can't wait to taste when carbonated and well chilled

Advertisement