Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Elderflower wine at 1035 today, with work and holidays im busy till 3rd wend of Aug so should be ready to bottle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Just pulled my first pint off my keg, I made the HBC American pale ale, dry hopped with 30g Amarillo. Like the stout it has a really yeasty aroma to it, but its really tasty great flavours from the hops, plus having it on tap whenever I want is going to be good. Have to clean the other keg and get started on the HBC Blonde Ale, before I go off making my own recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just went to sample one of the Craft IPA I made.. hot weather and a little too much priming sugar makes for a wonderful explosion upon opening. The couch and white carpet don't enjoy it as much.. Smells great though

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Lidls have some Spanish 100% fruit juice in at the moment 55% peach and 45% white grape juice so started off some wurzels wine with it today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lidls have some Spanish 100% fruit juice in at the moment 55% peach and 45% white grape juice so started off some wurzels wine with it today

Must get some of that.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I just kicked off a 5 litre blackcurrant melomel. About 700g of blackcurrants simmered with a kilo and a half of honey and the zest of an orange, for an OG of around 1090. A splash of Nutrivit and a sachet of EC1118, and we're off. The colour and aroma are already amazing.

That will join the 5L gorse flower wine that's slowly maturing, along with the 5L Pinot Grigio and 23L Amarone that are happily burping away beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

Today i dry hopped a Citra pale ale i have going, it tastes great. Was worried the heat had stopped the fermentation but the gravity was down 1012. I'll give it 7 days before bottling

Here's the recipe http://bit.ly/CitraPA

Must try making a Citra pale ale, I recently had the franciscan well's Chieftain Pale ale, and really enjoyed it. It seams a lot of hops to use in the boil. Was it a 5 gallon batch you made?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

calnand wrote: »
    Must try making a Citra pale ale, I recently had the franciscan well's Chieftain Pale ale, and really enjoyed it. It seams a lot of hops to use in the boil. Was it a 5 gallon batch you made?

Tried The Chieftain Pale Ale last week and loved it. Does anyone know any kits that come close to it.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Tried The Chieftain Pale Ale last week and loved it. Does anyone know any kits that come close to it.

I imagine if you just pick up a basic pale ale kit, like the coopers one and then dry hop some citra, you should end up with something similar. It would be hard to get an exact match with a kit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I imagine if you just pick up a basic pale ale kit, like the coopers one and then dry hop some citra, you should end up with something similar. It would be hard to get an exact match with a kit though.

Gotta do some homework on dry hopping so and get me some citra.

it was just over 20ltr. It tasted lovely before i dry hopped, so i expect it to be even nicer after bottled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Good god what a year we've had, myself and my brewmates (we are a group of 5 lads).

Started off the year in a new location (my pregnant mrs threw us out of my house, so we re-located to my parents place).

We do extract, and planned to do "one base beer, plus one random beer" per brew day - 23litre brews.

we started late Jan or early Feb and brewed every three weeks, so we were brewing and bottling two batches each time, storing the FVs in the converted attic where nobody ever goes.

The "base beer" was a standard red ale, and we also did a Black IPA, an IPA with Pacific Jade and Wai-iti hops, a Blue Moon-like beer and a couple of others - up to Brew Day 5 we've been more miss than hit, so decided 6 weeks ago to "re-boot" - simplify the recipe.

We also hadn't been using finings, nor had we been racking, so we started doing both.

We were noticing a very strong yeast flavour from the beers, and they were very cloudy, but since starting to rack, and starting to use the finings we seem to be getting somewhere - and two beers opened today were both clear and non-yeast flavoured.

Hopefully we've something competitionable for after Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

I have an american pale ale loaded up with oats and centennial hops bottled, it tastes like like citrusy flapjacks

in Fermenter I have a strong brown porter

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

willabur wrote: »
    loaded up with oats

Tell me more about this now....

4.5kg Maris Otter
    .5kg Crystal 30
    1kg Vienna Malt
    0.2kg Flaked Oats

mashed at 65 degrees

30g Centennial 60 mins
    30g Centennial 10 mins
    40g Centennial 0 mins

US Safale 05

OG 1065
    FG 1010 (ish)

20 litre batch

On the face of it it is a small portion of the grain bill but it really dominates the malty flavour in the beer. Its in the bottle for 1 week now and opened the first one last night. It was beautiful, really nice. Plenty of amazing citrus hops in the nose, intentionally held back from IPA level of early hops so the taste is dominated by the oats, really smooth mouthfeel. All in all a really lovely beer which I am delighted with.

I'm doing my first all grain brew this weekend (assuming my order from THBC arrives on time). Looking forward to it. :) Going to do an IPA via BIAB method. It'll only be a small batch because I still only have the small brew kettle. I'll upgrade that after I've done a few smaller batches (planning on one a week this month).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm doing my first all grain brew this weekend (assuming my order from THBC arrives on time). Looking forward to it. :) Going to do an IPA via BIAB method. It'll only be a small batch because I still only have the small brew kettle. I'll upgrade that after I've done a few smaller batches (planning on one a week this month).

Have a great brew weekend, brewing a Hefe myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

This weekend I've started a 30 bottle kit of Merlot/Shiraz, and a 30 botle kit of Pinot Grigio..

Also clearing and racking hawthorn wine, elderberry wine, gorseflower wine and birch sap wine.. hoping to bottle the flower wines next week..

Well......I did the BIAB. It was......A learning experience. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This weekend I've started a 30 bottle kit of Merlot/Shiraz, and a 30 botle kit of Pinot Grigio..

Also clearing and racking hawthorn wine, elderberry wine, gorseflower wine and birch sap wine.. hoping to bottle the flower wines next week..

Gorse wine, thats interesting. What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well......I did the BIAB. It was......A learning experience. :D

What happened? mine was a serious disaster but the beer is still in the fermentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Ipso wrote: »
    Gorse wine, thats interesting. What's it like?

Well it looks great, a real bright yellow.. I should get a chance to sample it today or tomorrow and will let you know how it tastes..

RasTa wrote: »
    What happened? mine was a serious disaster but the beer is still in the fermentor.

Just took forever tbh. I didn't get the kids to bed until 9pm so I was like "right....I'll get the water on for the mash now, then get everything sorted while it's getting up to temperature / the mash is on" but sure of course I was busy the whole way though.

My grinder required quite a bit of coaxing to get an even grind and I ground too finely in the end. This wasn't the end of the world, but I ended up putting the wort through a "gold" coffee filter to remove all the cack (grist?).

I didn't finish up until 2am and I was exhausted at that stage. I also was eyeballing the water volume a bit and ended up adding some in that I shouldn't have, resulting in a lower OG than anticipated.

Still and all I have very high hopes for it.

What happened with yours? I have your malt btw. Drop me a line if / when you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just took forever tbh. I didn't get the kids to bed until 9pm so I was like "right....I'll get the water on for the mash now, then get everything sorted while it's getting up to temperature / the mash is on" but sure of course I was busy the whole way though.

My grinder required quite a bit of coaxing to get an even grind and I ground too finely in the end. This wasn't the end of the world, but I ended up putting the wort through a "gold" coffee filter to remove all the cack (grist?).

I didn't finish up until 2am and I was exhausted at that stage. I also was eyeballing the water volume a bit and ended up adding some in that I shouldn't have, resulting in a lower OG than anticipated.

Still and all I have very high hopes for it.

What happened with yours? I have your malt btw. Drop me a line if / when you want it.

Let's say I under estimated how much 6k's of grains would push up the water so a 30 litre brew kettle was useless, lost about 2-3litres and then had to do the mash in my fermentor which didn't hold the temp correctly. Also got a lower OG.

Did another yesterday batch sparging and get the numbers bang on however again not ideal as just dumped the grains into the brew kettle

Yeah I've no car at the moment to collect hence not sending PM

HMD wrote: »
    Today i dry hopped a Citra pale ale i have going, it tastes great. Was worried the heat had stopped the fermentation but the gravity was down 1012. I'll give it 7 days before bottling

Here's the recipe http://bit.ly/CitraPA

Tried a bottle tonight after it being in the bottle for a week and it's lovely. I'll be doing this recipe again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Took a coopers beerkit

Added 1.5 kg lme and 500g muscavado sugar

Og 1.064

Smells nice and hope it goes well

Stout 12 days in primary and think I'm going to bottle on sunday

Bitter amazing opened a bottle in work and let the ale drinkers have a taste

They loved it ,so much that I thought I might get robbed for the rest B-)

Cerveza is next to go after the stout

Happy brewing

SMaSH IPA
    Grain Marris Otter
    Hops Galaxy
    Safeale US05
    ~ IBU 78
    ~ SRM 6
    ~ ABV 6.2

Smells amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

3kg liquid extract
    300g ? crystal
    250g brewing sugar
    all apollo hops
    s05 yeast
    3 weeks primary
    4weeks bottled
    A lovely amber color and nice balance. keeps head well . hoppy all the way through not overly bitter finish well pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone have a recipe for an extract punk IPA clone? Considering one for my next beer

Advertisement