Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

matrim wrote: »
    Anyone have a recipe for an extract punk IPA clone? Considering one for my next beer

http://cellardweller.net/index.php/kunena/india-pale-ale/149-brewdog-punk-ipa-clone-extract

this was next on my list before my boiler broke.dying to give it a whirl and see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Just did a Cooper's Mexican Cervaza I had forgotten about. It's probably been lying around for four years.
    The yeast was no longer viable so I added a Cooper's Beer yeast I bought online from Homebrewwest.
    Diluted it to 20 litres instead of 23 litres as I found the last one I did from these guys a bit 'watery.'
    Added Hersbrucher Hop teabag half way through fermentation.
    Smells nice so far.
    Think it might turn out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

http://cellardweller.net/index.php/kunena/india-pale-ale/149-brewdog-punk-ipa-clone-extract

this was next on my list before my boiler broke.dying to give it a whirl and see what its like

Interesting, only question I'd have is the hop profile. The brewdog site shows Punk as having Chinook, Simcoe, Ahtanum, Nelson Sauvin, while that recipe uses Columbus, Ahtanum and Amarillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It looks very off the recipes ive previously seen for punk alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Depends which version of punk its based on, if its the old one I'd give it a bash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

Doing my first Belgian Quad, adapted the recipe from a few on the internet and How to Brew Like a Monk's Rochefort 10 recipe.

Mash
    6kg Pilsner Malt, 1kg Caramunich Type II, 0.5kg Torrified Wheat, 120g Carafa Special Type II

Sugars
    1.35kg Dark Candy Syrup, 0.5kg Dark Candy Crystals

Hops
    85g Styrian Goldings (80 minutes), 85g H. Hersbruker (10 minutes) (all pellets)

Dry Hopping (for 10 days, 4 weeks after brew day, immediately before bottling)
    15g Styrian Goldings, 15g H. Herbruker, 40g Saaz

Yeast
    WLP 545
    Harvested 4 Rochefort bottles to use for bottling yeast

Basically I wanted to make a really big brew as it's my last before heading off travelling for 7 months. Hit OG=1.094, and let it sit in a bath holding it at 21degC for a week. It had reached 1.006 after the first week so I racked to the secondary to let it condition. It's been there for 10 days at 21degC and I plan giving it til 14 days of warm in secondary then crash cooling in a bucket with ice for a week maybe, then drying hopping for the last ten days as it comes back up in temp. I've kept 2L of the original wort in the fridge and plan on using that and the harvested yeast to prime before bottling. I'm pretty excited with how its going so far as the taste of the sample I took was beautiful, hopefully it'll be ready to drink before I head off but I'm also planning on saving at least half of the batch and letting it age as you often hear that big beers will taste beautiful 6 months after bottling, but I've never had the patience to find out before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Doing my first Belgian Quad, adapted the recipe from a few on the internet and How to Brew Like a Monk's Rochefort 10 recipe.

Mash
    6kg Pilsner Malt, 1kg Caramunich Type II, 0.5kg Torrified Wheat, 120g Carafa Special Type II

Sugars
    1.35kg Dark Candy Syrup, 0.5kg Dark Candy Crystals

Hops
    85g Styrian Goldings (80 minutes), 85g H. Hersbruker (10 minutes) (all pellets)

Dry Hopping (for 10 days, 4 weeks after brew day, immediately before bottling)
    15g Styrian Goldings, 15g H. Herbruker, 40g Saaz

Yeast
    WLP 545
    Harvested 4 Rochefort bottles to use for bottling yeast

Basically I wanted to make a really big brew as it's my last before heading off travelling for 7 months. Hit OG=1.094, and let it sit in a bath holding it at 21degC for a week. It had reached 1.006 after the first week so I racked to the secondary to let it condition. It's been there for 10 days at 21degC and I plan giving it til 14 days of warm in secondary then crash cooling in a bucket with ice for a week maybe, then drying hopping for the last ten days as it comes back up in temp. I've kept 2L of the original wort in the fridge and plan on using that and the harvested yeast to prime before bottling. I'm pretty excited with how its going so far as the taste of the sample I took was beautiful, hopefully it'll be ready to drink before I head off but I'm also planning on saving at least half of the batch and letting it age as you often hear that big beers will taste beautiful 6 months after bottling, but I've never had the patience to find out before!

sounds like a quality brew.
    the dry hopping step is not something I would have thought to have done with a quad. Is this something that the drunk monks do?

willabur wrote: »
    sounds like a quality brew.
    the dry hopping step is not something I would have thought to have done with a quad. Is this something that the drunk monks do?

Honestly no, and I'm still considering whether to do it. Originally I planned it just because I haven't done it ever before and wanted to give it a go which probably isn't the best basis to design a recipe, but **** it!
    Also I thought it might be overly sweet, but dry hopping will take away from the lovely malt flavour, I'll taste as I go and see what I think, but having never dry hopped I'm going in blind.

Honestly no, and I'm still considering whether to do it. Originally I planned it just because I haven't done it ever before and wanted to give it a go which probably isn't the best basis to design a recipe, but **** it!
    Also I thought it might be overly sweet, but dry hopping will take away from the lovely malt flavour, I'll taste as I go and see what I think, but having never dry hopped I'm going in blind.

Considering the amount of time you are going to age this beast for I would probably skip the dry hopping as the effect will probably be diminished by the time you get around to drinking it

willabur wrote: »
    Considering the amount of time you are going to age this beast for I would probably skip the dry hopping as the effect will probably be diminished by the time you get around to drinking it

Good point, I think I'll take your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Going to get a ginger beer/ale kinda brew going either tonight or tomorrow.

Brew plan is pretty straightforward:

700g grated fresh ginger, 1.5kg Maris Otter LME, 1 scotch bonnet chili, zest of 2 lemons, zest of 2 limes, 1/2 a jar of honey and a few liters water go into a saucepan.
    Boil for 35 minutes
    Add a further 200g grated ginger, juice of 2 lemons, juice of 2 limes and 1.5kg Maris Otter LME
    Boil for a further 15 minutes

Transfer into fermenter and top up to 20L
    Pitch safbrew T-58 Yeast @ 25°

Dry hop with 30g Sterling hops for 7 days

Bottle

Edit: Made a few slight changes as I was brewing last night so bubbling away in the bath as I type is

3kg Maris Otter LME
    900g Grated ginger
    2 tbsp ginger powder
    Juice & zest of 2 limes
    Zest of 2 lemons
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 Jar of orange blossom honey
    19L Water
    safbrew T-58

OG 1.050

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just got a mashkit from Geterbrewed, a Belfast Brown..

I will hopefully be starting it this weekend assuming the rest of my equipment arrives...

I am in two minds, Maxi BIAB using the 32l boiler or convert a spare bucket to a mashtun and wrap with foil insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

finally got to brew with my own little 20L burco.

4kg pale malt, 200g amber, 150g toffifed wheat. 15g Dana @ 60mins, 15g Summit @ 10mins, 15g saaz @ 10mins.

used mauribrew 514 ale yeast and with a bit of sparging have 16L in the FV. OG was 1044.

tomorrow will try a Proper Job clone of sorts but use Centennial instead of Cascade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Coopers Pale Ale kit
    1.5kg LME
    20g cascade boiled for 20 mins
    20g amarillo dry hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

did my brew yesterday, only ended up with 13L but OG of 1058.

4kg Pale malt, 200g Carared, 150 Torrifed wheat

then used Chinook, Willamette, Centennial 15g each time at 45mins and 15mins and will dry hop with more Willamette.

I have decided I will go down the BIAB route for my first all grain fun..

I have a general idea of what I am up to. Disaster is likely, but we will see :)

Mash water currently heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Got a 'Craft Range' Irish stout kit recently. I haven't brewed anything in ages so looking for some advice. Instructions are just boil the two malt bags in 3 litres of water then water down to 20 litres in the fermenter.

Is there any benefit to boiling it at full volume instead? I have a 33l kettle so easily done.

Also, the only hops with the kit are 25g of unidentified 'stout hops' for dry hopping 1 week post start of fermentation, doesn't seem a lot to me. Any use adding hops to a boil at the start, and if so what would work well?

there is no benefit of a full boil unless you want to add bittering and flavour hop (20mins) - waste of electricity.

Khannie wrote: »
    How did it go?

(to copy and paste a post elsewhere ( I am lazy! )

It went well in the end.

I heated up 30L of water and drained 5 out.
    Popped in a SS cake stand over the element and popped in the bag.
    Poured in my grain (reattached bag ;))
    Topped up the water with the 5 I removed, all fitted in ok but anymore would have been pushing it. It was around 2 CM from the top.
    Covered and mashed for 90 minutes , stirred every 15. Temperature remained fine throughout, I dropped around 2c or so.
    After mashing I ended up with 25L or so in the boiler. I had 4L of hot water in a spare bucket and dunked the grain bag into it and left for around 10 minutes before adding back into the boiler.
    I awaited the dreaded hot break but it was fine, there were 4 hop additions with this mash kit, 60, 15, 10 and 0

I used the SS wort chiller from HBW, It worked well and took down the temperature to pitching in around 20 minutes. The water in the apartment isn't the coldest.

After removing the hop bags and draining them and allowing for trub I ended up with 20L exactly in the FV
    I was surprised how much the hops could soak up but will know for again.

I think I forgot to add the whirlfloc tablet.. I cannot find it but don't remember adding it.. so be it!

Ended up with an OG of 1050

There were no notes on the instructions with the mash kit as to what the OG should be so I have nothing to compare with.

I made a few mistakes along the way but overall it wasn't as stressful as I was expecting.

• Advertisement

There were no notes on the instructions with the mash kit as to what the OG should be so I have nothing to compare with.

Plug in your numbers into brewtoad(free online tool), it will give you an estimate of what your OG should have been

So I have my first ever stuck ferment.. it is stuck at 1030 for the last 2 days with no sign of life even after a gentle rouse..
    Of course I didn't get any spare packs of yeast (clever boy..) I am going to The Headline later for the Black Donkey Brewery launch so I am hoping they may have a few packs of ale yeast.. they seem to mention they sell some homebrew supplies.

So I have my first ever stuck ferment.. it is stuck at 1030 for the last 2 days with no sign of life even after a gentle rouse..
    Of course I didn't get any spare packs of yeast (clever boy..) I am going to The Headline later for the Black Donkey Brewery launch so I am hoping they may have a few packs of ale yeast.. they seem to mention they sell some homebrew supplies.

bit more detail.
    was it a kit/extract/AG brew? How big is the batch? what was your OG? what was the recipe? what yeast did you use? was it in date? what temp do you have the beer at?

Howdy, it was AG brew, 20Litre in the fermenter. I don't know the exact recipe as it was a pre assembled mashkit (http://geterbrewed.ie/belfast-brown-ale-all-grain-ingredient-kit.html). US-05 yeast , It was in date, I rehydrated as per instructions on the Fermentis site. OG 1050. It is sitting at 20C.

Howdy, it was AG brew, 20Litre in the fermenter. I don't know the exact recipe as it was a pre assembled mashkit. US-05 yeast , It was in date, I rehydrated as per instructions on the Fermentis site. Beer is sitting at 20C.

What was OG? and how long had it been fermenting?

What was OG? and how long had it been fermenting?
    It was 1050, fermenting since Sunday. Not long I know but there is no sign of life whatsoever in it. And I don't mean airlock activity which I know means nothing . Very small initial krausen which didn't last long. No bubbles on surface etc.

It was 1050, fermenting since Sunday. Not long I know but there is no sign of life whatsoever in it. And I don't mean airlock activity which I know means nothing . Very small initial krausen which didn't last long. No bubbles on surface etc.

Strange, to be honest I've never encountered a stuck ferment, if temperature has been right, then you'd expect its the yeast not being healthy, or that enough wasn't pitched maybe. Either way you're gonna have to throw more yeast at the problem I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

So, it's only been fermenting for around 5 days?

I'd just leave it for another week before taking another gravity reading and just forget about it in the mean time. Too early to be worrying about a stuck fermentation at this stage, I reckon.

us-05 can be a slow burner. I used it for may last APA and like that there was very little visual activity but it got down to where it needed to be after 10 days or so. Relax and don't take another reading for at least 7 days. I'm sure it will get down by itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

John Bull London Porter ahoy! :pac:

83JqDwB.jpg

Advertisement