Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Anyone have any suggestions for a partial grain IPA recipe?

First time doing anything other than a kit beer so relatively simple would be great. Not even sure I have all the kit I need to be honest!

Edit: This seems interesting: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/ChinookIPA.pdf .

Just from an ingredients standpoint, can get chinook hops from homebrewwest, but confused about the grains and malt.

Recipe calls for: 0.75 lbs Belgian Cara 8
    0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 120

What do the numbers after the name refer to? And would any of the crushed grains here be suitable: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brupaks-crushed-grains-290-c.asp

And what malt should I be looking at? Is pilsener malt anything approaching light LME?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

banjopaul wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for a partial grain IPA recipe?

First time doing anything other than a kit beer so relatively simple would be great. Not even sure I have all the kit I need to be honest!

Edit: This seems interesting: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/ChinookIPA.pdf .

Just from an ingredients standpoint, can get chinook hops from homebrewwest, but confused about the grains and malt.

Recipe calls for: 0.75 lbs Belgian Cara 8
    0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 120

What do the numbers after the name refer to? And would any of the crushed grains here be suitable: http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brupaks-crushed-grains-290-c.asp

And what malt should I be looking at? Is pilsener malt anything approaching light LME?
    Thanks

Number gives you an indication on the level of roast. Higher the roast the deeper the colour and the flavour.

As for an IPA suggestion for me it's all about the hops. Keep your malt bill simple, use about 500grams of specialty grain for your 5 gallon brew.

As for your hops, pick a commercial IPA you like, Google what ibu it has and let that guide your early additions. Feel free to go crazy with the later hops, no amount is too much if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Going to be doing a mysterio SNPA clone next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So after deciding to do a check on the thermometer I used last week I think I may have found the cause of this ferment having finished / being stuck / not going anywhere... it seems to be reading incorrect. I checked some liquid using a recently acquired spirit thermometer and there was a significant difference to what the (cheap ass) digital one reported.. almost 10C.

Highly likely I mashed in way too high and ended up creating a lot of unfermentables.

So after deciding to do a check on the thermometer I used last week I think I may have found the cause of this ferment having finished / being stuck / not going anywhere... it seems to be reading incorrect. I checked some liquid using a recently acquired spirit thermometer and there was a significant difference to what the (cheap ass) digital one reported.. almost 10C.

Highly likely I mashed in way too high and ended up creating a lot of unfermentables.

Ouch, you should still have something drinkable... Market it as dessert IPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

See how it goes, it may ferment more than you think. Also if the final gravity is high upping the carbonation will give the perception of dryness

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Just made a 10 litre batch of Blackberry and Apple Cider. (went berry picking last night)

Poured 10 litres of Aldi Cloudy apple juice into a fermenter.

Added 2 mugs of Blackberries (I cooked them gently in some water then pureed them in a blender first. The put through a sieve to get rid of seeds.)

1 teabag of mix fruit tea (aldi) and 1 teabag of lyons tea in a 1/4 mug of boiling water. Add this to berry and apple mix.

Added some wine yeat.

The S.G was 1.05

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds lovely. :)

yep, how long are you planning on ageing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

I'm not too sure. I normally start tucking in after two weeks in the bottle. I know I should wait longer but waiting is the hardest part.
    I also just bottles some Cider using Aldi Apple juice topped up with brewing sugar.
    Final alcohol was a liver bursting 9.2%

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    4.5kg Maris Otter
    .5kg Crystal 30
    1kg Vienna Malt
    0.2kg Flaked Oats

mashed at 65 degrees

30g Centennial 60 mins
    30g Centennial 10 mins
    40g Centennial 0 mins

US Safale 05

OG 1065
    FG 1010 (ish)

20 litre batch

On the face of it it is a small portion of the grain bill but it really dominates the malty flavour in the beer. Its in the bottle for 1 week now and opened the first one last night. It was beautiful, really nice. Plenty of amazing citrus hops in the nose, intentionally held back from IPA level of early hops so the taste is dominated by the oats, really smooth mouthfeel. All in all a really lovely beer which I am delighted with.

Had a pint of o'haras IPA the other evening on cask in the black sheep and it is a dead ringer for this beer that I brewed. That flapjack taste I get I now assume is from the Maris Otter, almost nutty. Beautiful beer.

Also My latest brew is a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Galaxy hops.
    60 IBU so in IPA territory

I bottled last monday and ran out of bottles. There was exactly one pint left over so I poured myself a pint of cask Smash and it was delicious!! Really happy with this beer, possibly the best I have made yet

Had a taste of my botched AG. It has been dryhopped now for almost a week and I will bottle tomorrow. It is still stuck where I left it but tastes pretty tasty ( in my biased opinion) it will do for a "session" drink..

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

24 bottles of elderflower filled yesterday, looking at a weissbeer next. Looking at the kit from brewuk .. anyone ever tried one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stout time with Columbus hops, this one.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-olgas-oregon-stout-23-litres-60-p-2146.html

Looking forward to tasting already.

About 30mins left in the boil, need better equipment. Anyone have any use for grains on here? Don't like binning them and concrete jungle out the back.

RasTa wrote: »
    Stout time with Columbus hops, this one.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/hbc-olgas-oregon-stout-23-litres-60-p-2146.html

Looking forward to tasting already.

About 30mins left in the boil, need better equipment. Anyone have any use for grains on here? Don't like binning them and concrete jungle out the back.

what grain have you got? How fresh is it?
    Where are you based?

willabur wrote: »
    what grain have you got? How fresh is it?
    Where are you based?

Spent grains....Should have mentioned

RasTa wrote: »
    Spent grains....

ha, okay :) kinda hard to dispose of them without attracting vermin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Loads of recipes for spent grain bread if you Google.

Had a taste of my botched AG. It has been dryhopped now for almost a week and I will bottle tomorrow. It is still stuck where I left it but tastes pretty tasty ( in my biased opinion) it will do for a "session" drink..

Well I didn't end up bottling as I had no time so took another reading, it has dropped to just over 1020... 3 weeks in. May as well let it sit another few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Wife made plans for this evening so no beer festival for me and to ease the pain im brewing atm.

an Altbier of sorts as i played around with a recipe i found

1.5kg Pilsner malt
    1.5kg Munich
    .5kg Vienna
    .3kg Aromatic
    .1kg Chocolate
    .2kg Torrefied

30g Magnum @ 60min
    20g Hallertauer hers @15min
    20g Saaz @5im

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

blueshed wrote: »
    Wife made plans for this evening so no beer festival for me and to ease the pain im brewing atm.

an Altbier of sorts as i played around with a recipe i found

1.5kg Pilsner malt
    1.5kg Munich
    .5kg Vienna
    .3kg Aromatic
    .1kg Chocolate
    .2kg Torrefied

30g Magnum @ 60min
    20g Hallertauer hers @15min
    20g Saaz @5im

How did your elderflower turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Two new beers on today, both modified coopers two-can/toucan kits:

Coconut Porter, stout and dark ale kits, LME, added chocolate barley malt, toasted coconut flakes to be added in secondary.

American Amber Ale, two Coopers draft beer kits, amber LME, added carapils and cascade hops, more cascade to be dry-hopped in secondary.

Making an extract porter kit at the moment. Got it from geterbrewed.ie

3kg of muntons light extract
    Grains
    Fuggles hops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'm going to tweak a HBC irish porter extract kit today,

HBC Irish Stout extract kit

Brew the kit to 20l, add 400g of brown sugar.
    But brew into primary for 7-10 days,

Add to secondary and dry hop with 30g fuggles for 7 days.

At bottle conditioning
    add .5ml of bourbon essence per 500ml bottle
    add .3ml of vanilla essence per 500ml bottle

I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a 6% stout similar to Leann Folan,
    What do you guys think

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

I'm going to tweak a HBC irish porter extract kit today,

HBC Irish Stout extract kit

Brew the kit to 20l, add 400g of brown sugar.
    But brew into primary for 7-10 days,

Add to secondary and dry hop with 30g fuggles for 7 days.

At bottle conditioning
    add .5ml of bourbon essence per 500ml bottle
    add .3ml of vanilla essence per 500ml bottle

I'm thinking I'm going to end up with a 6% stout similar to Leann Folan,
    What do you guys think

There's no Crystal malt in that kit and I think you might need some to get some of the sweetness that's in Leann Follain, otherwise you'll get a dry stout instead.
    I did a Foreign Extra Stout (Brewing Classic Styles receipe) recently that ended up not too far away from Leann Follain and there was over 500g of crystal malts in there, as well as a yeast (WLP 013) that doesn't ferment out fully, to leave a bit more sweetness. Wasn't as creamy as LF though, might try as few oats in there next time.

Hops be expensive, entering 2 beers into this IPA fest. Going to have a lot leftover
    1 x Centennial Pellets Vacuum Packed 100g 11.0% 2013 Harvest €5.25
    2 x Simcoe Pellets 100g Vacuum packed Alpha Acid 13.0% 2013 harvest €12.90
    2 x Columbus - 100g vacuum packed Alpha Acid 17.2% 2013 Harvest €5.18
    1 x Safale US-05 Yeast €2.80
    1 x White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast €7.06
    1 x Citra Pellets (USA) - 100g Vac Packed Alpha Acid 14.4% 2013 Har €6.00
    1 x Carapils - crushed grain 500g (Weyermanns) €1.70
    1 x Amarillo (USA) vacuum packed 100g Alpha Acid 10.9% 2013Harvest €7.75
    1 x Crown Caps Black (100) €1.95
    1 x Chocolate - crushed grains 500g €1.25
    1 x Crystal - Crushed grain 113 EBC 1kg €2.00
    1 x Maris Otter - crushed grain 10Kg €15.00
    1 x Dark Crystal - crushed grain 500g 200 EBC €1.45
    1 x Zeus Vacuum packed 100g Alpha Acid 16.7% 2012 Harvest €3.25
    2 x Rye Malt Crushed 500g (Weyermans) €3.20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Started blackberry picking today with the Fiancee, will do more tomorrow. The finest North Kerry blackberries! :-)

We picked in the same place as last year, far more than last year.

Looking forward to smoothies, jams, pies and of course wine!

Started blackberry picking today with the Fiancee, will do more tomorrow. The finest North Kerry blackberries! :-)

We picked in the same place as last year, far more than last year.

Looking forward to smoothies, jams, pies and of course wine!

A nice crop. It has been good weather for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Just opened the first properly conditioned bottle of my first ever brew - a Cooper's Wheat Kit. I tried a sample two weeks ago after one week in the bottle and it was unpalatable. At the time I put this down to to over-experimentation and trying to walk before I could crawl. Added the zest from two oranges, 40g of cinnamon, 50g of orange peel and approximately 100ml of fresh apple juice to the wort. The latter was admittedly a spur of the moment decision, and I regret it.

Nevertheless, after 3 weeks of conditioning I'm happy to report that the previously sweet solution has mellowed out into a light, fruity and refreshing beer. I hope to improve on this and make something resembling Hoegaarden over the coming weekend.

Advertisement