Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Just cooling down a batch.an ipa of my own creation consisting of summit and chinook hops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Finally, me and my crew are properly satisfied with beers.

We've been brewing every 3 weeks since February now, and the ones we bottled 3 weeks ago were cracked open at brew day this morning.

2 brews per day, racked a week prior, then bottled on brew day.

Nice golden coloured ales, clear, carbed and drinkable.

today we brewed a Xmas Ale -
    400g Crystal
    100g Roast malt
    3kg DME
    30g Challanger @60
    30g Fuggles & 30g Ginger @30
    10g Star Anise @ 20
    Finnings @ 15
    20g Cinnamon sticks @10

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Finally, me and my crew are properly satisfied with beers.

We've been brewing every 3 weeks since February now, and the ones we bottled 3 weeks ago were cracked open at brew day this morning.

2 brews per day, racked a week prior, then bottled on brew day.

Nice golden coloured ales, clear, carbed and drinkable.

today we brewed a Xmas Ale -
    400g Crystal
    100g Roast malt
    3kg DME
    30g Challanger @60
    30g Fuggles & 30g Ginger @30
    10g Star Anise @ 20
    Finnings @ 15
    20g Cinnamon sticks @10

think my next brew going to be a Xmas ale, rum n raisins in the mix plus orange peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just barreled the porter. If it works out ok I will be buying more and saying good bye to bottling...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All Grain APA with Magnum, Cascade and Centennial
    Strike water heating. Apartment empty.. what could be better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

Done today with ingredients from Barcelona.

Grain milled on site
    5 kilo Marris Otter Pale Ale
    1 kilo Vienna
    200g Wheet

20g (7%) Cascade @ 60 mins
    10g (5%) Tettenager @ 30 mins
    20g (6%) Williamette @ 15 mins
    20g (14.5%) Pacific Jade @ 10 mins
    20g (14.5%) Pacific Jade @ 5 mins
    30g (?%) Citra @ 0 mins

2 Tbls Irish Moss @ 15 mins
    20g Crushed Coriander @ 15 mins

Sparge @ 70c
    Mash in @ 65c
    Rest @ 80c

OG 1046

Jug sparge
    10dzbk1.jpg

Boil
    23iszmq.jpg

Top up. A Paelle boiler was used to boil 20L in approx 15 minutes.
    4kaadf.jpg

A not very PC bag of Spanish cement
    j5lcvb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Started on my first Homebrew effort over the weekend using a starter kit i got from MotleyBrew. Its going to be an IPA (Hopefully :D)

Started it on Saturday night and the airlock is bubbling away so fingers crossed!

es2aoj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Kicking off a brew this weekend, a dark rye beer with Willamette hops, haven't used either rye or Willamette before so will just give it a lash and see how she goes :)

Fermentables
    3kg Amber DME
    1kg Dark Rye malt (15 - 20 EBC) steeped for 30 minutes

Hops
    15g Magnum @ 60 minutes
    25g Willamette @ 30 mins
    25g Willamette @ 20 mins
    25g Willamette @ 10 mins
    25g Willamette dry-hop after 2 weeks for 1 week

Yeast S-04

just bottled my IPA.smells good but could be a bit more hoppy for my liking.i changed the recipe last minute and doubled my crystal grains so its a bit darker than i had originally planned.can't wait to try the finished product

for my next brew i was going to do an extract SMaSH english IPA.last week hbc had 40% off the muntons maris otter lme but its back up to full price now so i'm not sure what to do now

will be brewing again tomorrow and not made up my mind yet. thinking of a stout or porter or maybe a winter ale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

blueshed wrote: »
    will be brewing again tomorrow and not made up my mind yet. thinking of a stout or porter or maybe a winter ale.

Also brewing tomorrow. Making a stout and then a 5 litre batch of winter ale using carabelge malt

stuchyg wrote: »
    Also brewing tomorrow. Making a stout and then a 5 litre batch of winter ale using carabelge malt

Went with the Stout myself.

3.5kg stout malt
    250g Munich
    250g Amber
    200g Chocolate
    100g Carafa III
    150g Carapils

30g Fuggles @ 60mins
    30g Fuggles @ 30mins
    30g EKG @ 15mins

notty yeast

feck it lads yis have me convinced to try a stout next.i've been hearing good things about the HBC extract stout.think i'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

My stout recipe

227g roast barley
    175g choc malt
    150g crystal
    1.5kg LME
    500g dark spray malt
    150g brown sugar
    100g cane sugar

35g target @ 60
    7g challenger @ 15

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

After 7 days fermenting with the Craft Range IPA kit, Gravity has dropped to 1.035
    Now just trying to decide on ideal time to dry hop, ideally i'd like to leave it for another 7 days before bottlling

dyx6br.jpg

dm09 wrote: »
    After 7 days fermenting with the Craft Range IPA kit, Gravity has dropped to 1.035
    Now just trying to decide on ideal time to dry hop, ideally i'd like to leave it for another 7 days before bottlling

dyx6br.jpg

you sure it's 1035, looks like 1015

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Found Bramling Cross hops (2008 harvest!) in the freezer today, would have bought them ~October 2011, there's about 2oz left...

Thinking of using them as a dry hop, maybe just the 1oz together an ounce of willamette. What do folks think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Choc Ice Porter

5kg MO
    400G Chocolate Malt 700 SRM
    300G Chocolate Malt 350 SRM
    200G Crystal 30
    250G Lactose
    200G Oats

40G Fuggles @60m
    40G Fuggles @10m

1 Vanilla Bean
    100G Cocoa Nibs soaked in whiskey - Both added in after 5 days of fermenation. I don't use secondary fermentation any more but I am afaid that these additions will drop right into the trub and their effects will be stifled.

Ended up with 26 litres of 1060
    Fermented down to 1017 using harvested US05 (only yeast I had in the house)

Aiming for a big chocolate flavour in this one. Hoping the lactose and vanilla to extenuate the milk chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

willabur wrote: »
    100G Cocoa Nibs soaked in whiskey - Both added in after 5 days of fermenation. I don't use secondary fermentation any more but I am afaid that these additions will drop right into the trub and their effects will be stifled.

Looks great, but its one I would used a secondary for , that and fruit additions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

its a fair point. Its a beer which will benefit from a significant ageing period and there is a lot of 'wisdom' out there that you shouldn't leave your beer on trub for more than a couple of weeks.

I might take it off the trub after another week or so. harvest the yeast and salvage the nibs and vanilla pod cuttings from the rest of the morass and give it a cleaner conditioning environment

• Advertisement

just got my hbc extract stout this morning.i'm thinking of doing something with it like adding rolled oats or something.is adding oats to brews purely an all-grain thing or could i steep them with my grains and still get the proteins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

just got my hbc extract stout this morning.i'm thinking of doing something with it like adding rolled oats or something.is adding oats to brews purely an all-grain thing or could i steep them with my grains and still get the proteins

They really should be mashed, but people do steep them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Messing about so adding 1.2kg's of rye malt to my latest batch. 500g's of roasted rye and the rest in pale rye.

4Kg's of Maris Otter and some Crystal, going to mess about with hops to.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I'm thinking of doing the following IPA recipe, pretty much cobbled together from reading a few different recipes and semi-understanding things. Any feedback would be great.

3.0kg Muntons light spraymalt
    300g Caramunch malt, steeped for 30 mins @ 70 celsius

30g Magnum @ 60 mins
    15g Amarillo @ 5 mins
    15g Citra @ 5 mins
    15g Amarillo @ 0 mins
    15g Citra @ 0 mins

30g Citra @ 7 days, dry hop
    30g Amarillo @ 7 days, dry hop

Yeast: Safale US-05

Any thoughts? This is first time doing an extract brew, and a boil, so all new to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think I'd be inclined to throw in a flavour addition at at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 or 20. I'd split the dry hopping too: one addition as soon as the primary fermentation dies down, then a week before bottling rack to secondary and dry hop again. I've had great results doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think I'd be inclined to throw in a flavour addition at at least 10 minutes, maybe 15 or 20. I'd split the dry hopping too: one addition as soon as the primary fermentation dies down, then a week before bottling rack to secondary and dry hop again. I've had great results doing that.

Thanks for the advice!

When you say adding in another flavour addition, would you mean splitting the 15g @ 5 mins additions to 7.5g @ 15 mins and 7.5g @ 5mins for example? Or just another addition at 15 mins and leave everything else the same?

The dry hop change sounds good, will do!

Yeah, there's definitely room for a whole new 15g addition there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Question about 0min additions

I understand the addition at various stages of the boil, early for bittering, later on for aroma, but my (obviously incorrect) understanding is that you need the water boiling to extract the oils from the hops?

What is the mechanics of a 0min addition - especially if using a submerged copper cooling apparatus?

Cooling the beer after the boil usually takes me about 20 minutes to get it down to a pitchable temperature, do the hops go in for the whole cooling, then out for ferment?

understanding is that you need the water boiling to extract the oils from the hops?
    If that was true dry hopping wouldn't be a thing. You need boiling for isomerisation, but you'll still get the aroma volatiles out of the hops at lower temperatures. Adding hops to a wort just off the boil will get lots of the oils out but won't be so hot as to destroy the more fragile ones.
    do the hops go in for the whole cooling, then out for ferment?
    Hops don't come out at any stage. When the wort is cooled it's run off into a fermenter leaving all the hops and other break material behind in the boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Planning a Christmas brew over the weekend, any thoughts or suggested improvements on the following would be much appreciated?

(I've also decided to add a vanilla pod that isn't in the recipe below)

ChristmasAle-page-0_zpsfeb20678.jpg

Advertisement