Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ah, we don't cool in the boiler, we transfer to the FV, top up with cold water and the use the copper cooler.

Essentially, 0min additions are useless for us then, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ah, we don't cool in the boiler, we transfer to the FV, top up with cold water and the use the copper cooler.

Youll get much better results doing full boils and cooling in-situ in the boiler. By doing what you are you are possibly skipping the cold break, or worse ending up with the cold break material in the FV.

All of these little things contribute to a better quality extract beer.

Now the science bit.

http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=526

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ah right. This is how I used to brew. You can still do a 0 minute addition and just leave the wort to stand for 10 or 20 minutes before transferring and topping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I cool in boiler until it hits 30c, whirlpool, then transfer and finish chilling in the FV

brewed yesterday, made a "mongrel ale" using up some leftover grains and hops

Steeped
    200g Special B
    200g Biscuit
    100g Crystal

Used
    3kg Extra Light DME

Hops
    34g Willamette
    29g Sovereign
    60min

10g Magnum
    30min

25g Cascade
    25g Challanger
    15min

10 litre boil, topped up with 15l cold water

Safale 04 yeast

also made a pale ale

3kg extra light dme

500g Crystal steeped

60g EKG
    10g magnum
    60min

12g magnum
    15min

• Advertisement

hopefully those late addition hops in those recipes will make out beers more balanced, so far we've been producing drinkable beers, but very malt forward.

Bottled a stout yesterday too, which was made with dark dme, and about 700 of chocolate malt and a 60minute 60g Fuggles addition. It tasted great from the FV, so hopefully it steps up in the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

ended up brewing an English old ale instead of a winter/xmas ale.

4kg Pale malt
    130g Dark crystal
    60g Chocolate
    120g Cara pils
    600g Dark sugar
    30g Raisins

30g EKG @ 80mins
    30g EKG @ 60mins
    25g Fuggles @ 15mins

Mauribrew 514 ale yeast

OG 1074

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Sounds nice! But this
    blueshed wrote: »
    30g EKG @ 90mins
    30g EKG @ 70mins

Will leave no character, so you'd be aswell to have done 60g at 90 min.

Also, just because you are doing a 90 min boil doesn't mean you have to hop as soon as the boil starts. You can hop at any time. I recently did a series of brews with 45 min boils, but no hop additions at all until 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

n97 mini wrote: »
    I recently did a series of brews with 45 min boils, but no hop additions at all until 15 mins.

interesting... how did you balance out the beer?
    assuming that such late additions would not provide much in the way of bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'm gonna brew the Coopers Juleberg christmas ALe http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/strong/detail/julebryg/ , but I'm gonna us a HBC Irish red as the base kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sounds nice! But this

Will leave no character, so you'd be aswell to have done 60g at 90 min.

Also, just because you are doing a 90 min boil doesn't mean you have to hop as soon as the boil starts. You can hop at any time. I recently did a series of brews with 45 min boils, but no hop additions at all until 15 mins.

it was @ 80min and 60min, typo yesterday. was looking up old recipes and most of them said add the hops early.

nice steady bubbling action atm in the air lock and a kaursen of about 75mm

your right about adding them at the same time, just checked the IBUs on beersmith. @ 80min it's 22.8 and @ 60min it's 21.6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

feck it lads yis have me convinced to try a stout next.i've been hearing good things about the HBC extract stout.think i'll give it a go

Do it. I sampled my first bottle of it last night. Its really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

nice - I've just ordered this as my first extract kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i brewed it up on friday and added some roasted chestnuts and rolled oats in my steeping grains
    i'll probably add some vanilla bean or coconut essence in a week or so.i don't know why i can't just go by the kits instructions.i always have to throw something extra into my brews

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

...coconut essence...

I like a Bounty bar as much as the next guy, but this sounds wrong...

Elbow wrote: »
    Planning a Christmas brew over the weekend, any thoughts or suggested improvements on the following would be much appreciated?

(I've also decided to add a vanilla pod that isn't in the recipe below)

ChristmasAle-page-0_zpsfeb20678.jpg

Give it lots and lots of time to condition. Alot of strong flavours coming together there, I wouldn't be surprised if it was February onwards before it tastes like the beer you would like it to taste like

loyatemu wrote: »

don't knock it till you've tried it.I'm sure a lot of things sounded wrong when brewers suggested adding them in that ended up working.plus there's already coconut porters/stouts knocking about so its not a new thing,although I've never actually tried it myself

don't knock it till you've tried it.I'm sure a lot of things sounded wrong when brewers suggested adding them in that ended up working.plus there's already coconut porters/stouts knocking about so its not a new thing,although I've never actually tried it myself

coconut works really well in a stout, like everything else you need to try and find the balance as its quite a strong flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

willabur wrote: »
    Give it lots and lots of time to condition. Alot of strong flavours coming together there, I wouldn't be surprised if it was February onwards before it tastes like the beer you would like it to taste like

Brew day ended up being postponed until next weekend so i've had a bit of time to go over the recipe, magnum hops are being replaced with Sterling @ 60min & Columbus @ 5min.

Completely agree with ya about the conditioning should have really started it in July :o

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Started Brewing this two weeks ago. got the recipe from Cooper's Home Brew Site
    Steeped 200g of Carapils Grains..
    Brought the above solution to the boil.
    Inserted 25g of Cascade and 25g of Amarillo Hops in the just boiled water for 30mins.
    Threw 1kg of Light Spray malt into the fermenting bucket.
    Threw the infusion of hops and carapils grain into the fermenter.
    Gave it a good stir.
    Mixed in a tin of Coopers Australian Pale Ale.
    Brought the bucket up to 21 litres.
    Pitched Mangrove Jack's MP44 US West Coast yeast in at 23-24degrees.
    The SG was 1.044.

Today I dry hopped with 30g of Cascade and 30g of Amarillo. (to add nose)
    Will wait a week to bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

coconut works really well in a stout, like everything else you need to try and find the balance as its quite a strong flavour

Just bottled a coconut porter - mixture of 'dry hopped' toasted coconut flakes and a dash of Monin coconut syrup when priming.

What wasn't intended was to also add the coconut flakes to the American Amber Ale that was fermenting at the same time. Didn't realise my mistake 'til too late, so that should be interesting - cascade and coconut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

alastair wrote: »
    What wasn't intended was to also add the coconut flakes to the American Amber Ale that was fermenting at the same time. Didn't realise my mistake 'til too late, so that should be interesting - cascade and coconut?

coconut and citrussy hops sound pretty good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

loyatemu wrote: »

Malibu is another option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Elbow wrote: »
    coconut and citrussy hops sound pretty good to me

Amarillo I think would work well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

interesting... how did you balance out the beer?
    assuming that such late additions would not provide much in the way of bitterness

I was looking for 40 IBUs, which is Galway Hooker levels of bitterness. It takes more hops, naturally, but a lot of the flavour is preserved.

I stuck with a 45 min boil for DMS reasons, but I might try some shorter boils in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

alastair wrote: »
    Just bottled a coconut porter - mixture of 'dry hopped' toasted coconut flakes and a dash of Monin coconut syrup when priming.

Coconut seems to disappear from brews really quickly, if you dont fancy it just wait a few weeks.

i wasn't able to get my hands on any coconut essence. would something like rum essence be a close substitute

i wasn't able to get my hands on any coconut essence. would something like rum essence be a close substitute

dry hop with dessicated coconut. I roasted mine in the oven till it went golden then put it in a sack and lopped it in. Didn't soak or sanitise it

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

banjopaul wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the following IPA recipe, pretty much cobbled together from reading a few different recipes and semi-understanding things. Any feedback would be great.

3.0kg Muntons light spraymalt
    300g Caramunch malt, steeped for 30 mins @ 70 celsius

30g Magnum @ 60 mins
    15g Amarillo @ 5 mins
    15g Citra @ 5 mins
    15g Amarillo @ 0 mins
    15g Citra @ 0 mins

30g Citra @ 7 days, dry hop
    30g Amarillo @ 7 days, dry hop

Yeast: Safale US-05

Any thoughts? This is first time doing an extract brew, and a boil, so all new to me.

Brewed this last night finally. Unfortunately just before I started chilling I realised I had no yeast. Either lost it post-delivery or it hadn't actually been included in delivery in the first place, who knows. Ended up transferring the wort to the fermenter hot and sealing it overnight in the hopes of keeping it sterile-ish.

Bought and pitched two packets of Mangrove Jack's west coast yeast first thing this morning in the Mottley Brew homebrew shop in Glasnevin (decent set up by the way, have heaps of grain and a mill, handy to have a bricks and mortar place close to home for me). Never heard of the yeast before but from reading online it seems to be perfect for an IPA.

So, fingers crossed I managed to avoid infection I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

banjopaul wrote: »
    Brewed this last night finally. Unfortunately just before I started chilling I realised I had no yeast. Either lost it post-delivery or it hadn't actually been included in delivery in the first place, who knows. Ended up transferring the wort to the fermenter hot and sealing it overnight in the hopes of keeping it sterile-ish.

Bought and pitched two packets of Mangrove Jack's west coast yeast first thing this morning in the Mottley Brew homebrew shop in Glasnevin (decent set up by the way, have heaps of grain and a mill, handy to have a bricks and mortar place close to home for me). Never heard of the yeast before but from reading online it seems to be perfect for an IPA.

So, fingers crossed I managed to avoid infection I guess!

My guess is you'll be fine!

Advertisement