Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Around €1.50 per 5L I think...

Wow. That's great, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Supervalu and lidl also have them for the same price. 1.29.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Was on the coopers web site last night and they have a guide to brewing a few different type beers including a hob goblin clone and a couple of different fruit beers and the like.Here Ya Go with the linky link I hope http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Put on a Brew this afternoon which I called "Ball and Chain" owing to the fact that I will be drinking this when I am a married man.

Kit: Coopers Original Real Ale
    Extract: Cooper Light LME and 300g extra Dextrose
    Hop Tea: 25g Cascade (12 mins boil), 15g EKG (7min boil) in 1L w/ dextrose.
    Yeast: 11.5g Safale S-04 pitched at 23-24C, left for 10 mins and then stirred in.
    Original Gravity: 1.056 when corrected for temp.

Will leave to do it's thing for about a week and then check it. Will be racking to secondary and may do some Dry Hopping (depends on taste-tests along the way)...Will prob leave in for about 2-3 weeks, all depends on how ferementation goes and if the Wedding gets in the way might just leave it til I come back from Honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Did yesterday my first All Grain (15L) "Dark Smokey Ale". Bubbling away like crazy.Got a "Nut Brown Ale" and a "Mild Ale" for the next two weeks.Will do one a week. Have a Ribena wine going as well.Still another 20 days left of fermentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Threw on a "Better Brew" IPA kit tonight, using 1kg of light DME for the sugars.

Currently drinking Woodforde's "Sundew" all-malt kit - whilst this is undoubtedly a good quality kit, I'm not that sold on the beer itself (its vaguely reminiscent of Leffe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Currently drinking nothing (homebrewed) cause a christening cleared me out :-(.
    Just finished brewing brewferm grand cru with 375g dextrose and 150g golden syrup. Didn't use spraymalt as general advise for that type of beer was to have a dry finish. SG of 1.069 so should end up about 7.9 abv
    Coopers wheatbeer with 500 dextrose 500 wheat spray malt conditioning in 2 tap-a-draft mini kegs and bottles.
    Future brews
    Finlandia winter ale
    Coopers stout
    St Peter s golden ale ( impressed by their Ruby red)
    Youngs Barley wine
    Bramble wine ( first attempt, need to collect 10kg of blackberry first)
    The gingerbeer that someone posted a while back
    only the one fermenter so that will keep me going for a while

I have 3 brews waiting for bottling at the moment:

Bog standard turbo apple cider made with lidl cloudy apple juice. Added a smidge of honey to this one and intend to prime with a mixture of apple juice and honey to see how it turns out. It's been in primary for about 3 weeks now.

Total experiment that seems to have worked out OK: I bought 20L of lidl fizzy orange and threw it into a bucket. Put some yeast in. It stopped brewing at one point but a good stir seemed to revive it and now it has fully fermented (total time was about a month to fully ferment). I tasted it last night (with some added sweetener to bring it back up to the fizzy orange level of sweetness) and it tasted very similar to orange bacardi breezer. If this works out it will be at around the 45c per half litre mark which is incredible really.

Finally, I may have destroyed my elderflower champagnge as it is still in primary about 2 months on. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Current brew: Hoppy Sparkling Ale
    My last brew was a spectacular success. In fact it was too damn successful (it's nearly all gone now. :().
    Coopers Sparkling Ale + 1Kg Light Spray Malt +Goldings Hop tea. Dry-hopped after a week, with 50g Fuggles pellets. It resulted in a light sparkling ale, with a strong hop aroma. The OH was well impressed too.

Now brewing: Blue Moon Clone
    Coopers Wheat Beer + 500g Wheat Spraymalt + 500g Light Spraymalt + 25g Coriander seeds + 25g Orange peel
    Boiled the Spraymalt with the crushed coriander seeds and orange peel for 15 minutes. Only got this into the fermenter on Friday. Plan is to dry-hop with 50g Cascade hop pellets towards the end of this week. I thought I might have over-done it with the coriander, as the aroma was very strong, however, having had a pint of Blue Moon last night, I was amazed by just how strong the flavour of coriander is. I'm off the demon drink from now until after Dublin marathon (28th October), So this brew is perfectly timed, for my return. :)

Just about to try the Ginger Beer recipe thats floating around, have my turbo cider in the press upstairs.

Next up will be a fruit beer using Coopers Canadian Blonde which will be followed by an attempt at a Blue Moon rip off.

Is there anyway to make a Christmas Brew using a kit with some extras added in to give it a little something different

• Advertisement

Total experiment that seems to have worked out OK: I bought 20L of lidl fizzy orange and threw it into a bucket. Put some yeast in. It stopped brewing at one point but a good stir seemed to revive it and now it has fully fermented (total time was about a month to fully ferment). I tasted it last night (with some added sweetener to bring it back up to the fizzy orange level of sweetness) and it tasted very similar to orange bacardi breezer. If this works out it will be at around the 45c per half litre mark which is incredible really.

Khannie what yeast did you use in this, champagne or standard beer

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just about to try the Ginger Beer recipe thats floating around, have my turbo cider in the press upstairs.

Next up will be a fruit beer using Coopers Canadian Blonde which will be followed by an attempt at a Blue Moon rip off.

Is there anyway to make a Christmas Brew using a kit with some extras added in to give it a little something different

Brewferm Christmas Brew - I bottled it about a week ago, theres a long bottling stage, even with four months I'm not sure if it will do it but I will enjoy trying them! You can get it on homebrewwest, dead easy to make, doesnt even need priming sugar.

Tips for the ginger ale - fermentation for this was quiet, no head etc. I used too many lemons (my fault) and its a bit bitter. That being said, it smells amazing. Had a little taste, and its good. I threw in the entire lemons last time, I would just go for the peel next time.
    Current brew: Hoppy Sparkling Ale
    My last brew was a spectacular success. In fact it was too damn successful (it's nearly all gone now. :().
    Coopers Sparkling Ale + 1Kg Light Spray Malt +Goldings Hop tea. Dry-hopped after a week, with 50g Fuggles pellets. It resulted in a light sparkling ale, with a strong hop aroma. The OH was well impressed too.

That sounds great, I'm going to try that. So you added the kit and 1kg of light spray malt and a goldings hop tea to the fermenter for the first stage, then dry hopped after a week with an additional 50g of Fuggles pellets?

engrish? wrote: »
    That sounds great, I'm going to try that. So you added the kit and 1kg of light spray malt and a goldings hop tea to the fermenter for the first stage, then dry hopped after a week with an additional 50g of Fuggles pellets?
    Yep, simple as that. If I were making it again, I would probably add some Cascade hop pellets (in addition to the Fuggles) for a slightly more citrusy aroma, which would result in something quite close to BrewDog's Punk IPA (which I love). I'm not sure how much the Golding's Hop Tea bag contributed (possibly some bitterness), but I liked the brew so much, I wouldn't take any chances on changing the recipe (apart from the Cascade hops). :)

Yep, simple as that. If I were making it again, I would probably add some Cascade hop pellets (in addition to the Fuggles) for a slightly more citrusy aroma, which would result in something quite close to BrewDog's Punk IPA (which I love). I'm not sure how much the Golding's Hop Tea bag contributed (possibly some bitterness), but I liked the brew so much, I wouldn't take any chances on changing the recipe (apart from the Cascade hops). :)

How much cascade would you put in? I love brewdog....

Now I am excited.

Khannie what yeast did you use in this, champagne or standard beer

Pretty sure it was a champagne yeast. 90% confident. I only have champagne and cider yeast.

Just about to chuck everything into the fermenter, i have zested 2 lemons and have chopped them to add along with the zest of 1 ornage and 1 lime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Khannie wrote: »
    I only have champagne and cider yeast.
    Same thing, I think.

Im down in beer club at the weekend so will pick some champ yeast up.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Same thing, I think.

Yeah, I thought so too, but wasn't 100% sure.

Im down in beer club at the weekend so will pick some champ yeast up.

Are you going to do the same thing that I did with the lidl fizzy orange? If you were just looking to get boozed up for cheap on something that doesn't taste entirely filthy I think it could represent incredible value.

If I were redoing it, I would stir the orange up a bit to try and get the fizz out. I think that may have caused the stopping of the fermentation in the early days.

• Advertisement

How much cascade would you put in? I love brewdog....

Now I am excited.
    Using hop pellets, the 50g of Fuggles made for a very hoppy flavour/aroma, so I'd imagine that 50-60g would be perfect. Next time I'll probably go for 40g Fuggles + 20g Cascade. When I return to this recipe, I hope it will be consistently good. By the way, I reckon the ABV was around 4% (though my OG was likely a little inaccurate, as some of the Spay Malt clumped quite a bit, due to lack of stirring).

I had previously dry-hopped a strong IPA and I don't think the dry hopping process went quite as well. For some reason, the hop pellets never sank to the bottom of the fermenter (they stayed on top of the wort), so I don't think I got quite the same benefit. I suppose at the time I could have given them a it of a stir with a sanitized paddle, but I didn't know if this was typical behaviour.

My Better Brew (thats the name of the brand, I'm not complimenting myself), Pilsner. Dry hopped with 20g fresh cascade. It took ages to condition, had to shake the bottles after a month and leave them in a warmer room but that was my fault as I had put them under the stairs where it was a bit too cold. Its about 4 months on now and its pretty dang tasty. I would add more sugar next time on priming as I like beer a little fizzier and I think I would add a bit more cascade as I love the taste of cascade!

220242.jpg

Lessons learned:
    1) Dont prime on top of hops, rack to a secondary and prime there. I dont think the sugar got all around the mix
    2) Keep the bottles in a warmer area after priming
    3) Be patient grasshopper.
    4) Moar hops.
    5) Mondays are a lot more fun when you have a beer with your dinner.

My Better Brew (thats the name of the brand, I'm not complimenting myself), Pilsner. Dry hopped with 20g fresh cascade. It took ages to condition, had to shake the bottles after a month and leave them in a warmer room but that was my fault as I had put them under the stairs where it was a bit too cold. Its about 4 months on now and its pretty dang tasty. I would add more sugar next time on priming as I like beer a little fizzier and I think I would add a bit more cascade as I love the taste of cascade!

220242.jpg

Lessons learned:
    1) Dont prime on top of hops, rack to a secondary and prime there. I dont think the sugar got all around the mix
    2) Keep the bottles in a warmer area after priming
    3) Be patient grasshopper.
    4) Moar hops.
    5) Mondays are a lot more fun when you have a beer with your dinner.

Brew looks very similar to mine. I was a bit unsure as it was a bit cloudy. I made the Coopers Pilsener with 1kg of extra light DME. Think it'll come better in the coming weeks, has been in the bottle 3 weeks at this stage. I had it in secondary for about 6 wks also, so might take that bit longer to come good.

I'm off the gargle until 22/09/2012...doesn't seem so long but looking at that photo makes me really want to give in already...and I've only been off since Sunday :rolleyes:

It's not stopping me thinking about brewing at all. Getting a delivery of more brews this Friday. Will be considering what to brew next....might do a nice stout for Xmas.

lang wrote: »

I'm off the gargle until 22/09/2012...doesn't seem so long but looking at that photo makes me really want to give in already...and I've only been off since Sunday :rolleyes:

Are you from the future? :D

Are you from the future? :D

Have my Stag to go to that weekend so want a clear head before that. I am also in the final stages of putting my MA dissertaiton together so kinda don't want to have any horrible hangovers before then.

It's only when you are denied something that you really, really want it. Hopefully there is some truth to the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Khannie wrote: »
    Are you going to do the same thing that I did with the lidl fizzy orange? If you were just looking to get boozed up for cheap on something that doesn't taste entirely filthy I think it could represent incredible value.

If I were redoing it, I would stir the orange up a bit to try and get the fizz out. I think that may have caused the stopping of the fermentation in the early days.

Thats the plan for people calling up that are into the breezer, personally I dont touch any of them.

Did you use any additional fermentables

Thats the plan for people calling up that are into the breezer, personally I dont touch any of them.

Yeah, same as myself really. It was more an experiment.
    Did you use any additional fermentables

No, that was it. I'll let you know what it's like when it's been bottled for 2 weeks.

Just back from work and having a bottle of Coopers Canadian Blonde that was sat chilling in fridge.

It's only been bottled for 12 days so far and it tastes much better than I expected. Nice and refreshing with a slight sweet taste. Serious lack of head at the moment.

If it's this good now, I can't wait to try it after it's been conditioning for four weeks.

I brewed a batch of Coopers IPA today. I was going to make a hop tea for it but the kit smelled fairly well hopped so left it off.
    Topped off to 20L with 1.5kg of light spray malt and WLP001 california ale yeast. Original gravity is 1054. It smelled really good,can't wait to try it :D
    I think I want to make a really strong chocolate stout for Christmas, any suggestions for kit recipes?

• Advertisement

I brewed a batch of Coopers IPA today. I was going to make a hop tea for it but the kit smelled fairly well hopped so left it off.
    Topped off to 20L with 1.5kg of light spray malt and WLP001 california ale yeast. Original gravity is 1054. It smelled really good,can't wait to try it :D
    I think I want to make a really strong chocolate stout for Christmas, any suggestions for kit recipes?

Good luck with that kit. I'm hoping to make this kit on the 24th of this month.
    I was also considering dry hopping it too but I think you've just resolved this for me.

Advertisement