Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

looks good, I don't hydrate yeast at all, just sprinkle it into the FV after cooling the wort.

You can even use yeast in bottles, as I found out a few weeks ago, a chocolate milk stout hadn't carbed in the bottles, and tasted a bit too sweet, so after some advice from here I sprinkled about 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast into the bottles and re-sealed (swingtops) and three weeks later the beer had carbed nicely.

Ya I did this too. I was a monster of a double IPA but got distracted on the brewday and the beer came out crazy strong around 10% and overly bitter.
    The beer did not carbonate with the alcohol been so high.
    I was reading a book on Belgian beer at the time which had the subject of bottel conditioned beer so I added some yeats and left it 12 weeks.
    The swing top flew off when I opened it and the beer had mellowed out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cracked open the Russian River Blind Pig clone by bertus brewing tonight. Then I cracked two more open......

If you like IPA's then you should brew!

I did that one too, tis lovely. His micro pale ale 3.0 is also lovely. Although I don't copy his hopping as had some excess

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    I did that one too, tis lovely. His micro pale ale 3.0 is also lovely. Although I don't copy his hopping as had some excess

Yeah I might get the Micro pale on soonish. Need a summer session beer. I have all the bits for the PTE clone, will be doing that one next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Making jamil's Weiss tomorrow and hoping to make a 5 litre batch of English barley wine for Xmas too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I love Barley wines, my favourite is §ucaba by the Firestone Walker Brewing Company, but I've never been able to find it here :(

20140116-075438.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Just did a BIAB blackIPA my own recipe useing only galaxy hops. I'm still working on my method but for some reason efficiency was way up the gravity got up 1.08 I added some water to get it back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Stuck this on today to use up some left over hops.

Little Gremlins Pale Ale

Batch Size 19 L
    Original Gravity 1.052

Loughran Pale Ale Malt 3.1 kg
    Vienna Malt 1 kg
    Carapils 0.3 kg
    Flaked Wheat 0.3kg

Hops

Northern Brewer Leaf 10gs 60mins

Amarillo 25g 30mins
    Cascade 20gs 30mins

Cascade 25g 15mins
    Irish Moss 15mins

Cascade 25gs Flameout
    Amarillo 25gs Flameout

Yeast: Safale US-05

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

^ sounds delicious

I'm in the middle of my mash at the moment

5kg m.o. malt

25g Amarillo @ 60
    35g Amarillo @ 5
    400g roasted coconut @ 1
    1 pineapple @ 1
    40g Amarillo @ 0

Us05 yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

^ sounds delicious

I'm in the middle of my mash at the moment

5kg m.o. malt

25g Amarillo @ 60
    35g Amarillo @ 5
    400g roasted coconut @ 1
    1 pineapple @ 1
    40g Amarillo @ 0

Us05 yeast

Pineapple?
    That sounds interesting.
    Should pair nicely with the amarillo.

• Advertisement

What you do with the pineapple?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

My kitchen smells delicious with them beside each other. Smells like a Caribbean holiday

It was a last minute thing, I just saw it in the kitchen and I chopped it up. Hopefully it gives off some aroma/flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

jaysis, fermented fruit can go two ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

One of the winning beers at the NHC competition added pineapple to the mash.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Its not O'Hara's, its mine! Bottled it all last night. Looks great, smells great, tastes pretty good too. So far, very happy.
    IMAG1758.jpg

Might be doing a double brew day. 40 mins into this atm

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/234438/amber-ale

Hit the gym when it's done and come back and attempt

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/233340/black-ipa

Double brew days are stupid. Coming up to boil now on the second one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Bottled last night?? :confused:
    I'd never touch a bottle until at least a week after bottling. Was it not pure flat and still slightly sweet with the priming sugar?

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slayerking wrote: »
    Bottled last night?? :confused:
    I'd never touch a bottle until at least a week after bottling. Was it not pure flat and still slightly sweet with the priming sugar?

Yes, but it only filled half a bottle, so I said id give it a go. 34 full bottles wont be touched until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

3 months since i brewed at home and going to brew in my new brew shed tomorrow, might try something like Proper Job.

Today will bottle some cider and if time do a dandelion wine.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I'm planning on buying an extract kit from Geterbrewed. It's an American Pale Ale. I was thinking of turning it into a partial mash and substituting one of the LME cans with 2kg of Loughran Family Pale Ale Malt. Also will probably do a dry hop with some cascades or something.

1) Would this extract kit work ok with the Loughran Malt (has anyone used it), would I be better going with Maris Otter or something, or any other suggestions?
    2) Would Geterbrewed have any probs facilitating this conversion from an extract kit to a partial mash and knocking a few euro off the difference in 1 can lme and the base malt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just bottled my IPA, first time adding extra hops, chucked in a whole load of Citra and it smells incredible, tastes pretty good too, but I'll have to wait and see what it's like after it's been in the bottle a while.

First time adding extra hops, so do I bin the muslin cloth or can it be reused? it looks pretty scummy tbh :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Give it a good wash it hot water (no detergent), let it dry, and it's good to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Racked two beers this afternoon

First a pale ale hopped with Chinook and Athanum hops, tasting it, there's a lot of mango and lime going on, so it's coming just in time for the summer I hope - bottle next weekend and then hopefully drink 3 weeks after that.

Second was a Black IPA - we used 500g of black malt and 200g Crystal, with 3kg of dark DME - hopped with Magnum for bittering and 7C's for Aroma and Flavour. Lot of the black malt coming through on tasting, but it's dry hopped now, so hopefully those 7C's take over a bit. Also to be bottled next week.

For brewing next weekend is a DIPA - first time trying a double, and a Chocolate Milk Stout. Tweaking our recipe with some Cocoa and Lactose in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Got my water Volumes wrong due to a malfunctioning scales - ended up with way too much grain and a DIPA in the fermenter last night. Kept an eye on gravity readings throughout so was able to Adjust my hop schedules accordingly.

Recipe:
    1.0 KG Vienna
    0.6 KG Munich
    0.2 KG Rye
    3.0 KG MO

40 G Zeus 60 Min
    30 G Belma 15 Min
    10 G Falconers 10 Min
    20 G Falconers 0 Min
    20 G Belma 0 Min

Pitched Mangrove Jacks West Coast Yeast with a teaspoon of yeast nutrient.

Ended up with 15 litres of 1070 liquid. Had aimed for something in the range of 1060 of 19 litres. Lost at least 3 litres due to a massive cold break that was clogging up the boilers tap. Settled out as much as I could but ended up ditching at least 3 or 4 litres due to waste

Will dry hop the hell out of it with Falconers and Belma

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

willabur wrote: »
    Ended up with 15 litres of 1070 liquid. Had aimed for something in the range of 1060 of 19 litres.

You could have added water to that after the boil. 2.5 litres would have given you 17.5 litres at 1.060.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

n97 mini wrote: »
    You could have added water to that after the boil. 2.5 litres would have given you 17.5 litres at 1.060.

True, I considered this but decided to leave it as was.

I am considering adding some edlerflower extract to secondary. I had a beer in the Beer Market with some Elderflower and it was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I haven't brewed since January. I'm not sure how but so be it..

This weekend I will be making an English IPA using a mash kit I got from geterbrewed and I will be making a hacked Coopers APA kit with casade and citra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭rameire

stuck brew 31 on today.
    Thomas Coopers Heritage Larger with a 1.8kg LME can.

I have the following hops, just wondering how I can improve the initial mix either now or when re-bucketing.
    Saaz,
    Hallertauer Mittelfruh,
    Admiral,
    Hersbrucker.

or something else I could find in the kitchen?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

willabur wrote: »
    Got my water Volumes wrong due to a malfunctioning scales - ended up with way too much grain and a DIPA in the fermenter last night. Kept an eye on gravity readings throughout so was able to Adjust my hop schedules accordingly.

Recipe:
    1.0 KG Vienna
    0.6 KG Munich
    0.2 KG Rye
    3.0 KG MO

40 G Zeus 60 Min
    30 G Belma 15 Min
    10 G Falconers 10 Min
    20 G Falconers 0 Min
    20 G Belma 0 Min

Pitched Mangrove Jacks West Coast Yeast with a teaspoon of yeast nutrient.

Ended up with 15 litres of 1070 liquid. Had aimed for something in the range of 1060 of 19 litres. Lost at least 3 litres due to a massive cold break that was clogging up the boilers tap. Settled out as much as I could but ended up ditching at least 3 or 4 litres due to waste

Will dry hop the hell out of it with Falconers and Belma

looks great! Falconers is amazing.

Advertisement