Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Not having had the time to put anything on for several months and also being unable to find white grape juice I decided on Friday night last to make the effort to get something/anything on. Went to Lidl and browsed the juices.
    Picked up 4 litres of grape juice (red in colour) and 4 litres of mixed fruit juice (containing several fruit juices) also 4 litres of apple juice and 4 litres of orange juice. On a whim I made up 4 x 5 litre batches of the grape juice with the mixed fruit juice and a kilo of sugar. My good god, the smell of fruit in the house was absolutely gorgeous yesterday!! So strong and heavanly. The containers were bubbling away madly with the contents looking like a lava lamp with stuff sinking and rising rapidly. If this tastes as good as it smells in 3 weeks or so after fermentation and clearing then it will be awesome. I've never smelt any other wine like this during the fermentation stage. :)

EDIT: Just to add I still have the apple and orange juices. Haven't done anything with those yet. Will try to find something to mix those with, may do the traditional WOW or the easy White variant.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Disappointing start to brew #2. OG was only 1.02. Temperature was maybe 30 degrees C so maybe +0.003 but still awful low. I think my muslin bags were too packed to let the water flow through them.

Its bubbling away at the moment, but ive no DME or anything to add to it to compensate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Disappointing start to brew #2. OG was only 1.02. Temperature was maybe 30 degrees C so maybe +0.003 but still awful low. I think my muslin bags were too packed to let the water flow through them.

Its bubbling away at the moment, but ive no DME or anything to add to it to compensate. :(

Designated driver bräu? :pac: Sorry! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So my IPA turned out really well, but needs more time in the bottles.

Next up, I have commandeered the other half's 5 litre demijohn and I'm gonna attempt a mead! :D

Gonna use a wine yeast I think. Any idea how much honey I need for a 5 litre brew?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Links234 wrote: »
    So my IPA turned out really well, but needs more time in the bottles.

Next up, I have commandeered the other half's 5 litre demijohn and I'm gonna attempt a mead! :D

Gonna use a wine yeast I think. Any idea how much honey I need for a 5 litre brew?

I normally use about 3lbs/3.5lb per gallon

Just waiting on my order from geterbrewed. Planning a Dead Pony style Pale Ale this weekend using

Irish Pale Ale malt,Caramalt,Crystal

Hops: Simcoe,Mosaic,Citra

Yeast: WLP001 California Ale

hopeful o.g 1037 - f.g 1009

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I put 4lbs (1.816kg) in the one I have on at the moment. It was a bit too much, but I think 3 jars would have been too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Made a Belgian Dubble for the first time with the geterbrewed mash kit. Got their boiler and wort chiller upgrade.

Anyway first time brewing this style and was wondering why they where saying add orange zest and coriander seeds but none were supplied.

Thankfully I like my curry so had some around. I did message them earlier about the grain bill as needed to do some batch sparge calculations. They got back to me after I pitched the yeast

Turns out it was the wrong instructions and they should have included 565g's of brewing sugar as I was way off the recommend OG. To make it interesting, the zest and seeds should not have went in.

Beer smelt nice so looking forward to trying it and they offered a free kit for their mess up so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    Made a Belgian Dubble for the first time with the geterbrewed mash kit. Got their boiler and wort chiller upgrade.

Anyway first time brewing this style and was wondering why they where saying add orange zest and coriander seeds but none were supplied.

Thankfully I like my curry so had some around. I did message them earlier about the grain bill as needed to do some batch sparge calculations. They got back to me after I pitched the yeast

Turns out it was the wrong instructions and they should have included 565g's of brewing sugar as I was way off the recommend OG. To make it interesting, the zest and seeds should not have went in.

Beer smelt nice so looking forward to trying it and they offered a free kit for their mess up so I'm happy.

Their customer service is second to none, i ordered two packs of wyeast 1028 before Christmas for a brew I wanted to put on pronto. They sent it to my parents house, the address I sepcified not to use. When I contacted them they sent two more and they had it to me within 24 hours so I didn't have to travel down the country to get my yeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I normally use about 3lbs/3.5lb per gallon
    BeerNut wrote: »
    I put 4lbs (1.816kg) in the one I have on at the moment.

Right, well I've bought 5 jars of Lidl's 454g basic honey, because they were €1.99 each. This is a first time for me so I don't want to go overboard on pricey ingredients, I just wanna see how it'll work out. And we'll use honey in this house so I'd rather buy too much than not enough. :)

Spicing it, I was thinking cloves, a cinnamon stick, maybe a vanilla pod and some nutmeg. any special preperations I need for those, or just feck them in?

If you're using any fruit in it make sure its washed to get rid of any pesticides buy other than that just put them in on top of the dissolved honey.make sure to leave a couple inches head space at the top.oh and go easy on the cloves they're quite strong I only use one and wouldn't use more than 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Links234 wrote: »
    Right, well I've bought 5 jars of Lidl's 454g basic honey, because they were €1.99 each. This is a first time for me so I don't want to go overboard on pricey ingredients, I just wanna see how it'll work out. And we'll use honey in this house so I'd rather buy too much than not enough. :)

Spicing it, I was thinking cloves, a cinnamon stick, maybe a vanilla pod and some nutmeg. any special preperations I need for those, or just feck them in?

Gravity readings are fairly essential with mead. I'd expect everything to be fermented out with a champagne yeast in about a month or two.
    I'd then rack it to a secondary and leave it for another month and then bottle and leave it for another 6. It will be super dry so you may need to back sweeten with a non-fermentable suger.

I'm sure you already know vanilla is a delicate spice. I wouldn't expect any flavour to survive fermentation. I'd add it to secondary if I were you.

Remember patience and procrastination are essential for good mead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Brewing an English Dark Mild.(BIAB)
    3KG Mild ale malt
    350g light crystal
    50g choc
    40g of fuggles @60l and US04 to ferment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also used Falconers recently, in a Black IPA, it's delicious.

10850038_10152937466928873_3845352240866817210_n.jpg?oh=11273fa8d311afdc5a3301e98e1eeda6&oe=56319FF4&__gda__=1441324569_8207b62481544b3a1b0545514dfe10e8

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Making an American Wheat Beer as I type.

Pale Ale Malt 3kg
    Wheat Malt 2.5kg
    Melanodin Malt 100g

Hops: Hallertauer Mittelfruh 30g 60mins

Crushed Coriander 10g 15mins
    Orange Peel 10g 15mins

Crushed Coriander 10g 0mins
    Orange Peel 10g 0mins

Safale US-05

Did a Pliney clone yesterday, late one. There was 10 ounces or 280grams thrown in for just the boil. The amount of gunk and hop oil was crazy.

Hit my number of 1070 but 18L opposed to 22 with a good bit left behind in the kettle.

I need a 3 vessel system from now on or a grainfather type device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

RasTa wrote: »
    I need a 3 vessel system from now on or a grainfather type device.
    Waiting on mine to be delivered next week :D

A good thermometer is a vital bit of equipment. I poured a keg of IPA I made down the sink earlier. Fermented far too hot. Pitched too hot. Uber solvent... Basic mistakes... Annoyed with myself as frankly I know better... Oh well. Have two other brews to package soon instead.

Here's one I made earlier.
    About a month earlier.
    Opened the bottle today.
    Very nice and easy to drink.

Brew #3 will be this:
    http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/238375/streets-of-london-porter

Brew #1 was a success, but simple
    Brew #2 (still fermenting) will be a near right-off. Awful OG.
    Brew #3 is where it all comes together. I hope.

Brew #3 will be this:
    http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/238375/streets-of-london-porter

The London Porter sounds delish

• Advertisement

Sampling the hacked Coopers APA, in the bottle 1 week and brewed 2 weeks. (an early sampling..) was made with 500G of DME, the DME boiled for 15 minutes with Amarillo and then Cascade at 5 minutes. Dry Hopped with Cascade and Citra. Very refreshing if very young and for around 45 minutes of a brewday!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Waiting on mine to be delivered next week :D

In the middle of building my own right now

I bottled my attempt of Dead Pony Club yesterday. It smells super good. I hope it doesn't disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I bottled my attempt of Dead Pony Club yesterday. It smells super good. I hope it doesn't disappoint

Ooh, recipe? I like DPC, super tasty but not too strong.

Brew #3 will be this:

In the middle of my own too.
    gGMgxUECwL1M0oh5A_h5pYaAzq_CQTJQ5nuK3Ya572ar=w550-h971-no

loyatemu wrote: »
    Ooh, recipe? I like DPC, super tasty but not too strong.

I went with
    2.5kg Irish pale malt
    700g caramalt
    170g crystal 145 EBC

10g Simcoe @60
    20g Citra @5
    20g Mosaic @5
    20g Simcoe @5
    White labs California Ale yeast
    40IBU

dry hopped for 6 days with 30g each Simcoe,Citra,Mosaic

o.g.1038
    f.g. 1013 (came in a couple of points short)

only ended up with 14 litres or so due to all the hop soakage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Just dry hopped my first brew - a Youngs American IPA. Very pleased with the progress so far - was extremely lively in the first week (I had a to jury rig a blowoff tube) but it settled down lovely! Even tastes drinkable at this stage which can only be a good sign! :D
    Bottling at the weekend, just have to find the patience to let it condition before drinking it!

Did up a Berliner Weisse. No mash out, no boil and no chill. If only every brewday was so easy...

Did my first fly sparge mash, best efficiency and clearest wort yet.

Sparge did take about 45mins but enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Blackrock Reporter

Can someone please recommend a shop in the Dublin area which sells home brew supplies ?

Advertisement