Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Can someone please recommend a shop in the Dublin area which sells home brew supplies ?

The Mottly Brew http://themottlybrew.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Can someone please recommend a shop in the Dublin area which sells home brew supplies ?
    I agree with Oblivious.
    The Mottly Brew is in Glasnevin and he even mills grain on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blackrock Reporter

Thanks Guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Homebrew Dublin is the only alternative, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BeerNut wrote: »
    Homebrew Dublin is the only alternative, AFAIK.

but they don't open very friendly hours at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

but they don't open very friendly hours at all.

Wednesday - quiet
    Thursday - quiet
    Friday - quiet
    Saturday - mad busy

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Second attempt at a Pale Ale recipe I have on at the moment, first was very nice:

Partial - 23 liters
    2kg Irish pale malt
    200g Crystal malt

1.8kg light lme
    500g light dme

Magnum & cascade at 3 stages during the boil
    Cascade for dry hopping.

Gervin ale yeast
    o.g. 1.044
    current s.g. 1.010 (a week in)

zippy84 wrote: »
    Magnum & cascade at 3 stages during the boil
    Cascade for dry hopping.

Leave the Magnum of bittering and add all the cascade in the last 5 minutes. Then switch off the element and let steep for 30 minutes before chill. It really get the extra out of you aromatic hops

oblivious wrote: »
    Leave the Magnum of bittering and add all the cascade in the last 5 minutes. Then switch off the element and let steep for 30 minutes before chill. It really get the extra out of you aromatic hops

Most of the hops went in at flame out, the next biggest addition was at 15 minutes to the end. There was also a 60 minute addition. Looking forward to it, the first batch didn't last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Biggest beer to date, be opening at Christmas. Hit 1100 and 16L

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/823786/stout-city

• Advertisement

14 hours later and it kept on blowing the airlock out, thought that much space in the bucket would be enough...

Qv8RaD3h.jpg

Popped the last cap on my 3rd batch (porter), and the realisation that id forgot the priming sugar hit me. :eek::mad::eek:

Planning on doing this early next week. English Bitter recipe that's pretty popular on the homebrewtalk forum. Partial mash:

2kg Irish Pale Malt
    340gm Medium Crystal
    110gm Dark Crystal
    1.8kg lme

40gm Goldings, East Kent [5.7 %] (60 min)
    7gm Progress [6.60 %] (20 min)
    7gm Goldings, East Kent [5.7 %] (20 min)
    7gm Progress [6.60 %] (0 min)
    7gm Goldings, East Kent [5.7 %] (0 min)

Gervin ale yeast harvested from current batch.

Black IPA from Mitch's Steel's book, clone of Stone self righteous.

Should have just enjoyed my day off. Waiting for the boil to start

lhFUPzPh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Finished up a Left Hand Milk Stout clone, 22.5L and 1071 so a bit over on the numbers. Thinking of adding some cherry or something before bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    Finished up a Left Hand Milk Stout clone, 22.5L and 1071 so a bit over on the numbers. Thinking of adding some cherry or something before bottling.

Cherry or raspberry would go well in that beer I think! Did you crack into the pte clone yet? I'm putting one on soon. Hey you make a ton of beer.

Cherry or raspberry would go well in that beer I think! Did you crack into the pte clone yet? I'm putting one on soon. Hey you make a ton of beer.

Yeah, I buy pale in 25kg and go at it until it's gone. PTE clone is over 2 weeks in bottle now. Small bit of diacetyl off it although it's fading as it was brewed during that heatwave

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah, I buy pale in 25kg and go at it until it's gone. PTE clone is over 2 weeks in bottle now. Small bit of diacetyl off it although it's fading as it was brewed during that heatwave

I'm on the hunt for a under counter Fridge. Put on an American amber on Wednesday. Using a sleeping bag and frozen bottles of water. The constant monitoring and adjusting is driving me mad.

Success! Brew #3 is awesome!
    haCCbzlukNrUeft1xALU4JbfTfsB5OArfArcXczHAkjl=w550-h971-no

Only made 10 liters, got 8 pints and 10 33cl bottles. Loads of grain left to brew another batch of the same and going on my first impressions ill be making it repeatedly.

Recipe here:
    http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/238375/streets-of-london-porter-patio-1812-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

American Pale Ale

OG 1.057
    Expected FG 1.014

Pale Ale Malt 4.2kg
    Vienna Malt 1kg
    Carapils 300g
    Crystal 60 300g
    Dark Wheat Malt 300g

Hops
    Magnum 10g 60mins
    Cascade 25g 30mins
    Cascade 25g 15mins
    Topaz 25g 0mins

Yeast
    Safale US-05

Hit all my numbers on the button.
    Now the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Currently have an English pale ale/ESB in the bucket - just a wee 5L brew, but my first venture away from kits (extract). Tasted the part before I pitched the yeast so fingers crossed it'll turn out well. I've got enough malt extract for another run after this one so I'll likely tweak it a bit and play about with the hops to see how it turns out. Maybe drop the OG a bit and stick in some more aromatic hops...

The next foray is a bit of a project for me - something Belgian styled (never attempted Belgian before, and don't drink much of it!) as a wedding pressie for my sis in law and her hubby to be (both beeries). I've got a few months to get the hang of it and settle on a good beer, am starting with a reasonably basic Dubbel and I'll see where I go from there...

Once I've got something I'm happy with it'll be a big batch so I'll have to build myself a boiler and chiller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

are you using a Belgian specific yeast?

This afternoon was a milestone for me, brought five of my homebrews to a party - no commercial beers, and never missed the commercials at all. it's a brilliant feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

are you using a Belgian specific yeast?

That's the plan, haven't ordered the fixings yet, but a Belgian yeast is on the list...

Treadhead wrote: »
    That's the plan, haven't ordered the fixings yet, but a Belgian yeast is on the list...

Something that is very simple to start with and turns out great are Belgian wits (wheat beer). there are two very good dry yeast that are available T-58 and Brewferm Wheat

Black IPA bottling day, PTE clone all gone, more hops ordered as that is now my favourite recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, my mead has been in there for 2 months now, I'm thinking it should be about done but I forgot to take an original gravity :o oops.

What's my next step? I was gonna get something to kill the yeast, then bottle it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Had planned to an English IPA and an Oatmeal stout but GEB didn't ship my order in time.

I think I will do a turbo cider instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Ah no. Normaly GEB are super quick with deliveries

I'm just about to stick on a Saison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ah no. Normaly GEB are super quick with deliveries

I'm just about to stick on a Saison

Yup, usually super fast, they were out of one of the yeasts and called me this afternoon about it. Oh well. :(

Advertisement