Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Spun over to Ian in The Mottley Brew and got sorted for today (thanks also to the forum member who offered grain etc)

Decided to make a Directors Bitter, I had thoughts to do a founders porter clone but opted for this as I happened to find some styrian in the freezer.

3.5KG pale malt.
    300g medium crystal
    7g of black malt
    220g sugar
    14g Target @60
    14g Hallertau @ 15
    7g Styrian goldings @15
    28g Styrian goldings @ 0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bottled my latest brew last night. First brew since 2011! :eek:

A basic Lidl cloudy apple juice cider. SG 1.050, FG 1.000.

Bottled into little 250ml bottles as souvenirs for our wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

hardCopy wrote: »
    Bottled my latest brew last night. First brew since 2011! :eek:

A basic Lidl cloudy apple juice cider. SG 1.050, FG 1.000.

Bottled into little 250ml bottles as souvenirs for our wedding.

Welcome back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Novice brewer here.

I started with two kits brews, and have now moved on to extract.

I have two brews on the go.

One is an american amber, though i took great liberty with the recipe, and went ape with the hops.

The other was meant to be a golden ale, but will likely end up being dark, as i tossed in dark spraymalt as opposed to extra-light (not enough coffee at this stage).

Have bottled them up two weeks ago, so nearly there.

The two kit beers i made had a slight sour note to them, but i took my time with these latest two, and was very very carefull with the cleaning, and they smell/taste really good. Here's hoping finished product turns up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Spun over to Ian in The Mottley Brew and got sorted for today (thanks also to the forum member who offered grain etc)

Decided to make a Directors Bitter, I had thoughts to do a founders porter clone but opted for this as I happened to find some styrian in the freezer.

3.5KG pale malt.
    300g medium crystal
    7g of black malt
    220g sugar
    14g Target @60
    14g Hallertau @ 15
    7g Styrian goldings @15
    28g Styrian goldings @ 0

10 days in and dry hopped with 15g of Styrian, tried a taste from the sample jar.. alas what is that smell I come across, oh yes my old friend solvent, no temperature control bar a wet tshirt and ice packs in combination with an oven of an apartment and GV12 always ends the same sad mess.. I will keg it in a few days and see if it fades a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Just knocked up a wee American style IPA for the Mrs. Not too strong, but plenty of hops - we'll see how it turns out in a few weeks!

Got everything I need to start experimenting with my Belgian style wedding beer so that's one for the weekend... Not just have to get off my arse and knock up a big boiler so I can brew more than 1gal at a time! ;)

Got an ESB and a lighter English IPA bottled and conditioning - the ESB should be ready to drink by the weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, picked up a Black Rock Nut Brown Ale, and this time instead of using brewing sugar, I'm gonna use a malt extract. FOR SCIENCE! :D

It's light malts rather than dark because it was cheaper. :o But this is a first time brewing with a malt extract for me, so I thought might as well see how it turns out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Should be fine, and much better than using sugar.

Yeah. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Gonna try and make an elderberry ale tonight. Using Muntons Marris Otter Malt Extract, and just a generic yeast. Gonna juice about 1kg of elderberries and add to the wort. Purely experimental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

mordeith wrote: »
    Gonna try and make an elderberry ale tonight. Using Muntons Marris Otter Malt Extract, and just a generic yeast. Gonna juice about 1kg of elderberries and add to the wort. Purely experimental.

sounds nice. I brewed a dark Ale with elderberries last Xmas and it was tasty.
    There was a very interesting elderflower beer at the RDS beer fest this year too

So, the Nut Brown Ale is made, I made a little boo-boo though and the tap on the bottom of the fermenter was open so as I was filling it up and little bit came out :eek: not much though, and I closed it up fast. I've put the mead into another fermenter with some potassium sorbate and it'll sit there a few days before bottling, then wait until Christmas. But I had a small taste of it and it is AMAZING! :D

Seriously, seriously tasty, I was actually really impressed with how good it was, and it can only get better in the bottle.

sounds nice. I brewed a dark Ale with elderberries last Xmas and it was tasty.
    There was a very interesting elderflower beer at the RDS beer fest this year too

I was going to make an elderflower beer myself but made cordial and champagne instead.
    I used Coopers amber extract instead with the elderberries. Keeping the Muntons for rosemary and bay ale. Had a quick taste of the wort and there was a lovely hit of the berries. Hopefully will carry through to the finished product.

My mead when I put it into the demijohn vs. today :D

ESjpYuZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Novice brewer here.

I started with two kits brews, and have now moved on to extract.

I have two brews on the go.

One is an american amber, though i took great liberty with the recipe, and went ape with the hops.

The other was meant to be a golden ale, but will likely end up being dark, as i tossed in dark spraymalt as opposed to extra-light (not enough coffee at this stage).

Have bottled them up two weeks ago, so nearly there.

The two kit beers i made had a slight sour note to them, but i took my time with these latest two, and was very very carefull with the cleaning, and they smell/taste really good. Here's hoping finished product turns up well.

Ended up being a mixed bag.

First brew was really sweet and malty with little gassification, and the other is way too hoppy and so gassy that i has distended all of my bottles.

That said, if i blend the two together in a 40/60 mix, the result is actually really good!

So that's a no on bottling the mead any time soon, it still seems to be fermenting in spite of the potassium sorbate, and I don't want to add any more. So I think I best leave it in the fermenter another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Had a pretty busy summer with little time to brew anything but I'm back to being a poor student very soon so breaking out the beer kits once again.

Going to brew a Double Chocolate Stout and a St. Peter's Ruby Red Ale and leave them in the bottle for the winter/Christmas period.

Depending on how many bottles I have left over, I may also decide to do a quick Coopers IPA to keep me ticking over. Have a few hops I could do with using up too.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Had a pretty busy summer with little time to brew anything but I'm back to being a poor student very soon so breaking out the beer kits once again.

Going to brew a Double Chocolate Stout and a St. Peter's Ruby Red Ale and leave them in the bottle for the winter/Christmas period.

Depending on how many bottles I have left over, I may also decide to do a quick Coopers IPA to keep me ticking over. Have a few hops I could do with using up too.

The St Peters Ruby is a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

That_Guy wrote: »

Just made the Chocolate Stout - very very pleasant.

I put it in the kingkeg and sadly now its all gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Took a reading from the Belgian today. Down to 1.014 from 1.070 after 2 weeks. Not bad, started out 2 points lower than I would have liked but no enough to worry about... Am hoping it might drop another point or two in the next week before bottling. Tastes fantastic already and dangerously drinkable for a beer at 7+%!

Made up a batch of English pale ale - a single hop beer with brewers gold. Used a couple of big late additions to see what flavours I get. Also tried out a bit of Irish Moss in there to try for a bit more clarity. Had to keep myself from nibbling on the Irish Moss - it's kinda tasty. I blame my Nan who used to fill me up with Carrigeen when I was sick as a kid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BIAB tomorrow, a stout

5kg Pale
    500g Chocolate
    250g Roast

With Target and Fuggles I think.

First time doing BIAB, so hopefully a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see simcoe has gone up to a tenner for 100g. Doing my PTE clone again and using Northern Brewer instead.

Actually scratch that, I'll be using some Citra or Armarillo

So, I just bought another demijohn so I don't have to be borrowing herself's one anymore, I can make small batches of stuff, wonderful! So I've just made my second batch of mead. This one is a complete experiment, it's gonna be a plain mead, I haven't spiced it with anything, and I'm using a wine yeast instead of a champaggin yeast to see if that makes a difference, kinda hoping it'll ferment out a bit sweeter this time. But who knows?

When I've got my Nut Brown Ale bottled, I'm gonna brew a much larger batch of mead in the 30 litre fermenter, follow my previous receipe using cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

First homebrew.

Extract American pale ale.

http://i.imgur.com/jQK7caz.jpg

Very happy with the result.

Extract Stout bottled and extract IPA started also on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BIAB tomorrow, a stout

5kg Pale
    500g Chocolate
    250g Roast

With Target and Fuggles I think.

First time doing BIAB, so hopefully a success.

Got 1.055 OG from this, which was the aim.

Everything went well, which was also great - need to refine a few processes, like the removal of the bag, and sparging, but that will come in time.

Even got home in time to watch the match!

Ah bottling day today for my brown ale, not looking forward to it tbh :o

My very first mead has been bottled! 9 bottles in total, ready to be put in the back of my brew-closet until the yuletide season.

BOBHiSl.jpg

There was a bit left in the fermenter, not enough to bottle and bit cloudy with sedement, so we had enough to fill half a glass and we drank that. :D It was tasty as hell, a bit sharp and strong but I think it'll mellow out in the bottles after a few months.

Links234 wrote: »
    My very first mead has been bottled! 9 bottles in total, ready to be put in the back of my brew-closet until the yuletide season.

BOBHiSl.jpg

There was a bit left in the fermenter, not enough to bottle and bit cloudy with sedement, so we had enough to fill half a glass and we drank that. :D It was tasty as hell, a bit sharp and strong but I think it'll mellow out in the bottles after a few months.

I made mead before using a non interference method. Just added yeast and left it. Took about a year in total but was beautiful when finished. I did notice the taste changed dramatically over the months conditioning in the bottle. Worth waiting for end result

Just made a massive batch of mead in one of my 30 litre fermenters, 22litres after all is done. Spiced it with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, but also stuck in 2 vanilla pods too. See how that turns out. It's going like mad today, I can hear the bubbles from the airlock and there's some serious activity!

Going to see about some local honey, make another plain mead from that and see the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Going to do a dark lager tomorrow, just boiled water and grain is crushed.

4kg Pilsner

.2 Carapils
    .2 Cara Bohemian

.2 Carafa III is steeping overnite

20g Magnum @ 60min
    20g Perle @ 5min

2 packets of s23 yeast.

brew went well, no problems except a few wasps. OG was 1050 and 21L in the FV.

just checked and bubbling away.

Advertisement