Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The last kit I made was the IPA brewmasters. Primary for 10 days and then racked and dry hopped with 40g Cascade for 1 week. Have tried it au naturel and must say the extra hops did it the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I brewed a batch of Coopers IPA today. I was going to make a hop tea for it but the kit smelled fairly well hopped so left it off.
    Topped off to 20L with 1.5kg of light spray malt and WLP001 california ale yeast. Original gravity is 1054. It smelled really good,can't wait to try it :D
    I think I want to make a really strong chocolate stout for Christmas, any suggestions for kit recipes?

Cool. This is a brew that I got recently. Probably won't be putting it on for a while yet but will bear in mind what you say about the hops. Still might look at putting a small bit of hops (not sure which) into a hop tea. Would only be a small hop addition from what you saying if anything, so might not be worth the hassle. We'll see... :p

had a taste of my ginger beer which has been fermenting for the last 10 days, might have overdone the zest. Decided I will market it as a Ginger and Citrus Beer. Improvise Bithces

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

lang wrote: »
    Cool. This is a brew that I got recently. Probably won't be putting it on for a while yet but will bear in mind what you say about the hops. Still might look at putting a small bit of hops (not sure which) into a hop tea. Would only be a small hop addition from what you saying if anything, so might not be worth the hassle. We'll see... :p

I recently had the Coopers IPA myself. It was fantastic!

I added 18g each of cascade and willamette @ 15 mins and I didn't think it was over-hopped (what is this?! ;)) at all. Finished the last bottle a week back. Scrumptious stuff, you'll love it, with extra hops or not. Personally I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Planning a simple Cream Ale. The recipe calls for minute rice (american website) - what kind of rice is this? Also am I right in saying that flaked maize is the same as flaked corn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, same as myself really. It was more an experiment.

No, that was it. I'll let you know what it's like when it's been bottled for 2 weeks.

How did it turn out after or have you tested it yet? The girlfriend is on at me to make her some.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Today's brew - ginger beer attempt 2. This one is destined for my stomach, not the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

This is a lovely light-bodied sweet caramelly porter. By far the best porter I have brewed. Loosely based on a Randy Mosher recipe.

The oats are regular flaked breakfast oats. Aldi do great value Irish oats for 85c for a 1Kg bag.

To roast, spread the oats out on a baking tray and roast in an oven at 150°C for about 40 minutes. Check every 10 minutes and turn if necessary. When golden coloured they'd done. After they've roasted leave to sit for a few days before using.

Recipe Specifications
    Batch Size: 19.00 L
    Boil Size: 21.75 L
    Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
    Estimated Color: 46.8 EBC
    Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    Amount Item % or IBU
    1.94 kg Wheat Malt 34.69 %
    1.52 kg Munich Malt 27.15 %
    1.18 kg Pale Malt or Maris Otter 21.12 %
    0.59 kg Standard Crystal (145 EBC) 10.56 %
    0.22 kg Flaked Oats, Home Roasted 3.93 %
    0.14 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) 2.56 %
    16.90 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) 16.0 IBU
    8.45 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (10 min) 2.9 IBU
    8.45 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) 1.9 IBU
    1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 66°C for 60 minutes, mashing out for 15 minutes at 76°C. 60 minute boil. Ferment at 20°C for 4 days or so until fermentation has finished and bottle prime with 80g of sugar for arounf 2 vols of CO2.

Due to wheat content this one does not benefit from long aging.

Also, it's probably better to bottle this one rather than keg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

gazahayes wrote: »
    How did it turn out after or have you tested it yet? The girlfriend is on at me to make her some.:D

Haven't bottled it yet tbh. :) Sorry about that. I'd say fire ahead. I did have a little sample from the trial jar (with added sweetener) and it was grand. Certainly for 8 euro for 20L of semi drinkable booze I think it's hard to go wrong. I used the lidl "freeway" fizzy orange which is 80c for 2 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Just finished my first brew. A Woodforde's Admiral's Reserve Real Ale using this kit from the homebrew company

I think everything went ok and was fairly easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

matrim wrote: »
    Just finished my first brew. A Woodforde's Admiral's Reserve Real Ale using this kit from the homebrew company

I think evrything went ok and was fairly easy

Congrates :)

Current brew: Hoppy Sparkling Ale
    My last brew was a spectacular success. In fact it was too damn successful (it's nearly all gone now. :().
    Coopers Sparkling Ale + 1Kg Light Spray Malt +Goldings Hop tea. Dry-hopped after a week, with 50g Fuggles pellets. It resulted in a light sparkling ale, with a strong hop aroma. The OH was well impressed too.

Got my Sparkling Ale, Fuggles, Cascade, Gouldings and spray malt delivered yesterday - making it tomorrow - very excited! Thanks for the recipe.

Also making my first all grain batches - 1 Rauchbier and 1 American IPA. Will probably just do the Coopers Kit and the American IPA this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

engrish? wrote: »
    Also making my first all grain batches - 1 Rauchbier and 1 American IPA. Will probably just do the Coopers Kit and the American IPA this weekend.
    Wow, you have moved up in the world! Let us know how that goes. I've had my Blue Moon clone in bottles for a week now, so will have a sneaky taste this evening I reckon. Not sure that I even like Blue Moon (:eek:), it was just the idea of flavouring a witbier that provided the motivation. Might end-up trying to give most of it away to make room for my next brew.

I love the idea of doing an Imperial Stout for Christmas (as others have suggested), so will have to have a think about it.

Wow, you have moved up in the world! Let us know how that goes. I've had my Blue Moon clone in bottles for a week now, so will have a sneaky taste this evening I reckon. Not sure that I even like Blue Moon (:eek:), it was just the idea of flavouring a witbier that provided the motivation. Might end-up trying to give most of it away to make room for my next brew.

I love the idea of doing an Imperial Stout for Christmas (as others have suggested), so will have to have a think about it.

Will do!

I was looking at the coopers instructions - it says to add 1.5kg spraymalt, 300gm dextrose and 500gm light dry malt. Did you just add 1kg? I only ordered 1kg light spray malt but I could top it up with dextrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will do!

I was looking at the coopers instructions - it says to add 1.5kg spraymalt, 300gm dextrose and 500gm light dry malt. Did you just add 1kg? I only ordered 1kg light spray malt but I could top it up with dextrose.
    Yep. I got thrown by that one a little too. I started this thread as a result. It tasted great. If I remember correctly, the ABV was pretty low (3.5% - 4%), which suited me perfectly. If you haven't used the Spraymalt before, remember to keep stirring it as you add it to the fermenter. Otherwise you'll end up with big clumps of Spraymalt. Not sure if it will affect the end-product, but it will mess up your OG readings.

Had a bottle of the Blue Moon clone last night. Despite having been bottled for just 6 days, I am extremely impressed. A few more bubbles (which will develop over the next two weeks) and it will be indistinguishable from Blue Moon. and I was wrong... I actually do like it. :) The coriander and orange additions work really well with the Coopers wheat beer kit. Well happy with that.

Will do!

Yep. I got thrown by that one a little too. I started this thread as a result. It tasted great. If I remember correctly, the ABV was pretty low (3.5% - 4%), which suited me perfectly. If you haven't used the Spraymalt before, remember to keep stirring it as you add it to the fermenter. Otherwise you'll end up with big clumps of Spraymalt. Not sure if it will affect the end-product, but it will mess up your OG readings.

Had a bottle of the Blue Moon clone last night. Despite having been bottled for just 6 days, I am extremely impressed. A few more bubbles (which will develop over the next two weeks) and it will be indistinguishable from Blue Moon. and I was wrong... I actually do like it. :) The coriander and orange additions work really well with the Coopers wheat beer kit. Well happy with that.

Nice.

I put 750gm dextrose in with the 1kg of spraymalt for good measure. It's it the PF 12 hours now, just waiting for the bubbles to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Just finished making a wheat beer using Whitelabs WLP300 liquid yeast. I made a 2L starter and that itself tasted pretty good for a starter. Its tucked away now in my fermenting fridge @ 17C for probably a week or more. I did a 90 min boil to help reduce dms from the pilsner malt. I used some oat husks from thehomebrewcompany to help sparging with the large amount of wheat malt and they done the trick.

[size=+2]hefe 27L[/size]
    [size=+1]15-A Weizen/Weissbier[/size]
    Date: 06/07/2012

03.jpg

Size: 27.0 L
    Efficiency: 80%
    Attenuation: 75.0%
    Calories: 162.88 kcal per 12 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.049 (1.044 - 1.052)
    |==================#=============|
    Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
    |=================#==============|
    Color: 6.39 (2.00 - 8.00)
    |===========#====================|
    Alcohol: 4.81% (4.30% - 5.60%)
    |==============#=================|
    Bitterness: 11.2 (8.00 - 15.00)
    |===============#================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
    2.8 kg (50.0%) 2.8 kg Premium Pilsen Malt - added during mash
    2.8 kg (50.0%) 2.8 kg English Wheat Malt - added during mash
    0.300 Kg Oat husks rinsed to help lautering - added during mash
    27 g (100.0%) 27 g Hallertau (4.50%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
    11.41 fl oz 11.41 fl oz White Labs WLP300 Hefewizen Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
    Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
    Source Water: 60.0 °F
    Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22[/size]

WLP300 is a lovely year should.be a great beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I have two beers planned.

Thomas Cooper IPA with 500gb Light Spray Malt and 300G Dextrose. I'll brew this tomorrow.

Another I've planned for next week is a Brewfirm Tripel. Can someone offer me some advice?
    It's asking for 500g of sugar. I've seen candy crystals like these that are supposed to be good for Tripel style beers.

These look like the carbonation drops. Do I just add these to the boil before I throw in the extract kit?
    I'm also thinking of conditioning them for at least 2 months and what size bottles would be recommended?

Cheers :)

Fart wrote: »
    Another I've planned for next week is a Brewfirm Tripel. Can someone offer me some advice?
    It's asking for 500g of sugar. I've seen candy crystals like these that are supposed to be good for Tripel style beers.

These look like the carbonation drops. Do I just add these to the boil before I throw in the extract kit?
    I'm also thinking of conditioning them for at least 2 months and what size bottles would be recommended?

Cheers :)

I've two brewferm kits bottled and waiting to be drunk. Afaik, these are just simple kits, they require no boil - unless you are talking about the 2 litres of hot water added to the tin. These kits are great - really easy to make and from what I tasted at bottling, they are pretty damn good.

Any advice I have found online for these kits is the longer they condition the better. I wont be touching them for a while yet!

I havent seen that type of sugar before - I just go with the advice on the kits.

• Advertisement

Here is my current brew fermenting away, a historical porter, Guinness town single stout from 1883

d1420840-4a0a-4097-ba0d-e682402a8716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I've two brewferm kits bottled and waiting to be drunk. Afaik, these are just simple kits, they require no boil - unless you are talking about the 2 litres of hot water added to the tin. These kits are great - really easy to make and from what I tasted at bottling, they are pretty damn good.

Any advice I have found online for these kits is the longer they condition the better. I wont be touching them for a while yet!

I havent seen that type of sugar before - I just go with the advice on the kits.

That sounds good. What advice is on the kit? I can't read it online, so does it just recommend 500g of Dextrose?

I've now got my IPA fermenting. OG of 1.040 before pitching the yeast with 22L of water.
    The yeast is sitting on the top of the brew. Will give it 3 weeks for it to feed upon the fermentables.

Fart wrote: »
    That sounds good. What advice is on the kit? I can't read it online, so does it just recommend 500g of Dextrose?

I've now got my IPA fermenting. OG of 1.040 before pitching the yeast with 22L of water.
    The yeast is sitting on the top of the brew. Will give it 3 weeks for it to feed upon the fermentables.

What kind of IPA? If its a traditional IPA and you are a fan of the American one, add as much hops as you can to the fermenter. I made an English IPA and dryhopped with a hop bag - it wasnt enough and I didnt enjoy the beer. It would have been much nicer with some more hops but thats just my personal taste. My neighbour however, loved it. He thinks its great to have a neighbour who brews!

Yeah I just used dextrose for the Brewferm kits. I figure its best to go with the advice. The instructions list is generic, it says "insert SUGAR 1" etc. Here is a link to the PDF of it. I don't think you will regret it.

I also dry hopped the Gallia with 30gm of Cascade. I'm a big hop fan though!
    oblivious wrote: »
    Here is my current brew fermenting away, a historical porter, Guinness town single stout from 1883

Is the brewbelt your only source of heat in the fridge? How did you set that up?

Is the brewbelt your only source of heat in the fridge? How did you set that up?

yes, it it is all connected to a ATC-800 temp controller ( via the black pore that is in the fermenter). Once the fermentation temp is set it will either switch on the heating belt or fridge to keep it at the right temp

oblivious wrote: »
    yes, it it is all connected to a ATC-800 temp controller ( via the black pore that is in the fermenter). Once the fermentation temp is set it will either switch on the heating belt or fridge to keep it at the right temp

How hard was that to put together?

By the way - my Coopers Sparkling Ale has gone crazy. Had to replace the air lock because it had foamed up and out of the carboy - really hope it isnt infected.

SG1ST

just racked my wheat beer into secondary and added my coriander and orange peel, come on Blue Moon knock off

How hard was that to put together?

Not really all it is is a fridge the heating belt and the ATC-800 controller

By the way - my Coopers Sparkling Ale has gone crazy. Had to replace the air lock because it had foamed up and out of the carboy - really hope it isnt infected.

SG1ST

It's probably fine, it was just a very active fermentation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

As Im moving away for a bit in a few weeks a friend is taking a loan of some of my equipment rather then leave it sitting in a shed. I went around to show him the ropes and we attempted a brew in the bag all grain pale ale. The efficiency we got was atrocious and I'm too embarrassed to post it here :o

Long story short we have a batch of 7% pale ale that'll be ready to drink in a week, I'll post a pic over in the 'show us your brew' thread when we try it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just about to embark on a coopers english bitter kit with medium spraymalt addition

Anyone done this or similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Thought I'd stick this here - looking for some advice on an imperial stout I'm planning.

I have one packet of Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 at home, and just received all the grains I'll need for a partial-mash recipe. It's just dawned on me that I'll likely want more than one smack-pack of yeast to deal with an OG around the 1.09ish point.

I do have a pack of Belgian Strong Ale 1388 in the fridge, and was wondering if I should go ahead and use both? Or make a starter with the 1084 and hope? Or just use the 1084 as is?

Any advice? The idea of a Belgian-ish I.S. is starting to appeal the more I think about it!

Advertisement