Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just did the Coopers IPA kit last night: threw in 1kg of Spraymalt and 500g of Brewing Sugar, along with 20 litres of spring water. Let's see how it turns out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Tried my now fully conditioned raspberry beer at the weekend that was brewed for the mammy and the missus. V nice stuff, lovely taste of the fruit from it.

Bottled some turbo cider at the weekend which came out at 5% which i;m happy with.

Will also be bottling 15 litres of mild ale at the weekend and will spice the remaining 7 for an xmas beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

stuchyg wrote: »
    Tried my now fully conditioned raspberry beer at the weekend that was brewed for the mammy and the missus. V nice stuff, lovely taste of the fruit from it.

Bottled some turbo cider at the weekend which came out at 5% which i;m happy with.

Will also be bottling 15 litres of mild ale at the weekend and will spice the remaining 7 for an xmas beer.

How did you do the raspberry beer? Have promised my GF I'd do her a fruit beer. Was thinking of giving small scale a go for it. Something like described here, as I don't like them and she probably wouldn't drink 39

Am going to do a Muntons Connoisseur's Export Stout for my next kit.

matrim wrote: »

How did you do the raspberry beer? Have promised my GF I'd do her a fruit beer. Was thinking of giving small scale a go for it. Something like described here, as I don't like them and she probably wouldn't drink 39

Am going to do a Muntons Connoisseur's Export Stout for my next kit.

I used the diy mild kit for 8 quid, let it ferment out and then racked onto 2 lbs of frozen raspberry for 1 week although I think 3/4 days may be enough. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

for my 2nd kit brew im planning on doing the Coopers IPA, anything i could or should add to it and where to get.

if i did it this wend would it be ready to drink over christmas.

• Advertisement

do you have any hops you could add, cascade maybe. should be ready for you xmas week. enjoy it if you make it, its a good un

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

just after trying my czech pilsner...unbelievable.not as good as drinking pilsner urquell in a pub in prague that brews it in the next room, but not far off.very pleased with it.tastes great.has a proper pilsner head-thing going on.diageo lost out 7 years ago by not giving me that brewing technician job (but i'm not bitter about that).slainte folks, i'm getting drunk and sending diageo a really long f*u message

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I'm making my 4th partial extract tonight - the HBC extract munich helles. I'm planning on leaving this til around Easter before drinking. My first attempt (the HBC extract American Pale Ale) was supposed to be ready today but i tucked in early and i've less than half left!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Have a choc milk stout ready for bottles , next is a wheat beer with curacao peel & coriander

tteknulp wrote: »
    Have a choc milk stout ready for bottles , next is a wheat beer with curacao peel & coriander

Blue Moon clone i presume, could you update on this, I used fresh orange peel and this was undrinkable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Just finished making a Gluten free beer, don't know if the taste will be up to scratch but will know in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bottled my spiced apple cider last night and kicked off a 22L cloudy apple turbo which I'll use probably 50/50 for mixed berry and apple and raspberry and apple after primary has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Yea a belgian wit clone ,i read that coriander can be over-powering so 15g crushed is prob plenty , i have to read up on it re:curacao as its 1st try at this , ive done 4or 5 wheat kits but i find a bit bland ,but refreshing all the same

just bottled 10 litres of my mild ale brew, have added 1 tsp of coriander seed, all spice, cinnamon & ground nutmeg to the remaining 10 to make a spiced winter brew

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Blue Moon clone i presume, could you update on this, I used fresh orange peel and this was undrinkable
    I used fresh orange peel and it was perfect. A really good Blue Moon clone. Got a bit tired of it eventually though, but managed to give a good a good few bottles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Bottled my first brew, youngs bitter with a kilo of sugar etc from tesco, basically followed the instructions apart from leaving the fermentation for 14 days instead of 4-6 (it was nowhere near done by 6). Bottling in glass was a pain in the ass, I used the coopers oxbar bottles for half of the brew, I'll see if theres any difference between them.

Next one in the fermenter:
    John Bull IPA with Munton's brew enhancer, pitched the yeast properly instead of sprinkling as per instruction etc.

I've been messing with in-bottle cider fermentation (youngs "super" wine yeast+lidl not-from-concentrate apple juice, seems to be ready in three or so days and tastes great. Threw a vanilla pod into one of the bottles too) and pineapple wine (this will be dangerous). At this rate I'll be blind by january :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I've been messing with in-bottle cider fermentation (youngs "super" wine yeast+lidl not-from-concentrate apple juice, seems to be ready in three or so days and tastes great.

Wait 'til you taste it after it's been bottle conditioned for a month. It's phenomenal stuff.
    Dead Ed wrote: »
    pineapple wine

I tried making "turbo pineapple cider". It was *filthy gear* even after a long time in the bottle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Making an AG Sierra Nevada clone tomorrow - very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

engrish? wrote: »
    Making an AG Sierra Nevada clone tomorrow - very excited.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Made a partial extract IPA a couple weeks back with the remnants of leftover grains and hops from a few previous batches.

I can't quite remember the grain bill but it was mostly crystal 60, a little pale chocolate, pinch of roast barely, Munich (all mashed), with light DME. Expected volume 46 liters.

60g Columbus

100g Cascade

60g Challenger

Sorry for the non-specifics but it was just sewn together from the parts I had in stock. I took a sample and it tastes very good atm! 'Leftover IPA' - Haven't we all been there? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Going to be using up this Coopers Lager kit I got, I think I'm going to steep some Vienna Malt and canned pumpkin for 20/30mins, add that to my wort and then dry hop with some Simcoe. I picked up a Safale US-05 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Just put on a Coopers Selection IPA kit w/ a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract. Haven't brewed this before. Didn't do a Hop Tea and after opening the can of extract I'm kinda glad I didn't cos it smelled really hoppy. I used Young's Ale Yeast (Red Packet 7g). Uber paranoid about stuck fermentation so gave it all a good ole stir before I added the yeast.

The Original Gravity was 1.048... if it ends at 1.018 it'll give me a final beer of about 4.4% ABV. Have done some stronger brews lately so kinda wanted this one to come out in the 'normal' range.

Depending on how it tastes after Primary fermentation I may add some Cascade Hops as Dry Hops.

Quick question - I have the following hops, which would you recommend to go with the Cascade?

Tetnanger, Fuggles, EKG, or Saaz?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd just leave it at the Cascade, TBH, but any of them will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd just leave it at the Cascade, TBH, but any of them will do.

Cool, thanks for that. Will bear that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I have 20L of Vitafit and some Youngs cider yeast just started on their magical journey.

Got another bucket to do tomorrow night, eh, someone forgot to properly clean it...

...who ever that was....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Just made a batch of orange clove mead - it worked brilliantly!

I have no idea what potency it is though forgot to take an OG reading, it spent over 2.5 months bubbling though!

Just about to take the readings for my second 20L bucket of Vitafit, five months and a day from now there's going to be a hell of a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

We did a group buy of hops recently so I have a few Kg of Bramling Cross. I've done a 20L batch, 7.5% abv, that had 70g of Bramling Cross at 60 min, another 70g at 10 min, and another 70g at 0 min. I will dry hop it with, you guessed it, 70g!

Going through a diacetyl rest at the moment, but it tastes fantastic. For anyone who has never used Bramling Cross in anger, you don't know what you're missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Gonna do my first ever brew today based off a Finlandia Traditional ale kit, pretty excited.

I read that the bleach/vinegar steriliser doesn't require rinsing-can anyone confirm that?

Merry Christmas!

• Advertisement

That's right Herb, at least I don't rinse it when I'm making my cider. 30ml thin bleach, 30ml vinnegar into 20 litres of water. Do not mix the neat bleach and neat vinnegar, creates a chlorine gas, put them into the water seperate and wash out whatever you're using to measure before going between them.

Good luck with your brew & happy christmas!

Advertisement