Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

talla wrote: »
    I'm starting to see some strange behaviour now in finder with regards to space available. I've a macbook pro retina, partitioned evenly between a windows install and OSX, about 120GB each.

Finder last night was reporting that there was 85 gb's free in the OSX partition which I knew was way too high. Ran omni disksweep and it reported 35gb's free.
    Open Disk Utility and ran a disk check, it reported problems with the disk and advised to reboot with cmd + R and repair disk.
    Repaired disk and reran the disk check - now all ok.

Finder then reported that there was 103GB free. Disk Utility and Omnidisk sweeper are both reporting 43gb's free.
    Finder is now reporting 73GB free today.
    Any suggestions?
    Is it a Macbook? If it is one of the portables, and you are using Time Machine, I think it creates local snapshots while it is not backing up to the time capsule/external hdd. I think finder counts these snapshots as free space as it can delete them of more space required.
    Other apps would report this space as being used up

EDIT: I see you did say it was a Macbook Pro, so I believe the above is what is happening. More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878 and if you want there is terminal commands to turn it off, although I can't see why you would want it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Cheers, yes I'm using time machine to backup to an external drive. Will have a read of the article.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The command I gave will list any wake ups overnight. Just to see if that's what's causing the drain!

Ah stupid me, I missed the 'log' flag in your post. I don't see anything out of the ordinary, . I'll keep an eye on it over the next few nights.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

Guys I'm getting 'Blocked Plug-in' when I try to view any Flash video, I can't use YouTube for example through Safari after I got mountain lion. I have tried uninstalling flash and downlading and reinstalling a couple of times to no avail, I'm now back to using Chrome. Any ideas on what I can do? It's an early 2011 MBP :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Beave wrote: »
    Guys I'm getting 'Blocked Plug-in' when I try to view any Flash video, I can't use YouTube for example through Safari after I got mountain lion. I have tried uninstalling flash and downlading and reinstalling a couple of times to no avail, I'm now back to using Chrome. Any ideas on what I can do? It's an early 2011 MBP :pac:

Maybe you have Gate Keeper turned on and that's blocking it. Not sure but just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Running Mountain Lion since launch day and I've found the notification centre to be the most useful feature. Roll on intregration with Growl. I still don't find iCloud as useful as Dropbox but it's a definite improvement. No crashes to date but the battery life on my laptop has definitely decreased.

Safari is good too but it's got a few weird quirks which Chrome doesn't have e.g. it's more difficult to find local results from the Google.ie page, using the ominbar. I'm also experiencing a few weird issues with Flash similar to Beave.

Mission Control is still ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

silvine wrote: »
    Roll on intregration with Growl.

Hiss does that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

I've just realised recently after reading about people asking about storing or backing up stuff on iCloud that you can actually store any file or folder there with 'Textedit'

216419.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ that's probably a bug. It's not much use anyway since you need TextEdit to be able to access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

^ that's probably a bug.

Quite possible I guess! Inclined to think it'll disappear or be disabled in the next ML update.

It's not much use anyway since you need TextEdit to be able to access them.

But doesn't everyone who uses Mountain Lion have Textedit?....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have never jumped on board with a new OS on the day of release before. I didn't bother with the previous update, so I was coming from Snow Leopard. I haven't checked all my apps, but most seem to work so far. There are some new features I'm completely unfamiliar with and I think it's a pretty solid upgrade. I like new Safari is zippy.

Notes doesn't work. At all. Just crashes. Other people are having this problem, too. Tried repairing disk permissions, but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've got Lion and have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

Is there much reason to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hey fellas, I bought a MacBook Pro in Curry's today and it's running 10.7. Am I eligible for a free download of 10.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Yes you can get it here, think you'll have ti send receipt or something
    http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

brav wrote: »
    Yes you can get it here, think you'll have ti send receipt or something
    http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

They have a form on their website to fill out and I did that. Shouldn't be waiting too long for it to come through! :)

Another question! :o

I have growl for notifications and stuff. Does the notification centre do the very same thing?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Another question! :o

I have growl for notifications and stuff. Does the notification centre do the very same thing?

Pretty much, but just for apps that support it. You also get a gesture and a button to activate a list at the side of the screen, much like the pull down drawer in Android and iOS 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there some way of turning off the auto spelling feature? It's correcting things like email addresses when it doesn't need to...a little annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Is there some way of turning off the auto spelling feature? It's correcting things like email addresses when it doesn't need to...a little annoying.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161517/kill_autocorrect.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SantryRed wrote: »
    I've got Lion and have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

Is there much reason to upgrade?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Only just realised the battery no longer shows how long is left, only a percentage remaining.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Anyone?

Have a read of this thread or any review of Mountain Lion, the Ars review is pretty comprehensive.

Advertisement