Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

André Villas-Boas is the new manager at Tottenham Hotspur

• 28-06-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Got a text from a very reliable source that AVB is the new spurs boss.

What will happen? 70 votes

deliever the league title within his first 2 years.
    0%
    stay 3 years-plus, and deliver the League title.
    1%
    Where To 1 vote
    stay 3 years-plus, and consistently get Champions League football and/or win some trophies.
    1%
    CL7 1 vote
    get sacked within 3 years.
    50%
    mike65leeroybrownKiithbohsmanPlayboydavyccmissingtimeGLaDOSPrincess Consuela Bananahammockxtal191dsmythyLord TSCozymandias10NotorietyHpremierstoneKess73Pj!Muff_DaddySlickRicceegee 35 votes
    get sacked within 2 years.
    22%
    Dont be at yourselfpickarooneymachiavellianmechopperbyrneThe_HustlerSnakebloodHokimurpho999kryogenLamper.sffcOat23Knex*Professional GrieferPinturicchiorickyjbScummyMan 16 votes
    get sacked before the end of next season.
    24%
    Seanehollaettamr.noobiePaparazzoDozen Wicked WordsFlecktarnMorzadecWIZERayConironbluedunstiffler123unplayablekevohmsfordPaully DMr BlobbyLaika1986Francie Barrett 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Post belongs on Twitter tbf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Why on earth did you give Dave Whelan your number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs are close to naming their new manager. When i heard that Siggurdsson was close to signing for them, i figured thet be close to an appointment and that he's been told who the manager will be.

Why else sign for a club with no manager, one that won't be playing Champions League football next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

monkey9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs are close to naming their new manager. When i heard that Siggurdsson was close to signing for them, i figured thet be close to an appointment and that he's been told who the manager will be.

Why else sign for a club with no manager, one that won't be playing Champions League football next season?

The fact that Gareth Bale has agreed a new four year contract would back that up as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So do you think it was Siggurdsson that sent the text then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Disastrous appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Riiiiiiight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

If it true it will be interesting to see who he goes for and how much of a transfer budget he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I heard something too - i expect to it to be announced soon

As an Arsenal fan I hope this is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Paully D wrote: »
    Disastrous appointment.

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this?

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind this?

Still a very inexperienced manager, had a bit of a nightmare at Chelsea (there are mitigating circumstances) and this Spurs job is actually a tough one, I think they would buy into his philosophy more then they did at Chelsea so he would have a better shot, and I would assume he learned a lot from his Cheslea experience.

If he is given time and backed i think he could be a success there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Foreign Redknapp succeeds Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Yup it seems like islets more or less done and should be announced in ye next few days. Good appointment I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

kryogen wrote: »
    Still a very inexperienced manager, had a bit of a nightmare at Chelsea (there are mitigating circumstances) and this Spurs job is actually a tough one, I think they would buy into his philosophy more then they did at Chelsea so he would have a better shot, and I would assume he learned a lot from his Cheslea experience.

If he is given time and backed i think he could be a success there.

I think he'll be a success at Spurs, we were way to rash getting rid of him and I for one hope he doesnt coemback and cost us points and trophies but I have a feeling he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

He did exceptionally well at Porto. He was chucked in one of the biggest hotseats in Europe. He deserved more time at Chelsea. If he gets enough time with Spurs he could do some serious damage. You's have not lost any big players (yet), I wouldn't be ruling Spurs out of a Champions League spot next year just yet, I'd like to see who he signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I'll wait untill the BBC or SSN confirms it, but lets hope he's learnt from his mistakes - particulary his appalling man management.
    Now, I'm no football expert (no - really!) But even I could see that playing our (slow) defenders so far forward exposed us to a simple ball over the top and the quick counter attack.
    Whilst AVB had good tactical ideas, they seemed somewhat divorced from the reality of the actual type of players we had and the type of league we were in.
    It was thrilling football alright, (the home game to Arsenal springs to mind) but ultimately I was gob smacked at just how few man management skills he had and how stubborn he was to change things when they weren't working. If he had been able to add a few of his own type of players, it could have been so very different, but the way he treated Anelka and Alex sucked big time. He wont last long at spurs if he trys that again and I would say a few players will be wary of him alright.

If he's given time he could be a fantastic appointment.

Who gets time these days though

rarnes1 wrote: »

I think he will be given time. I think Levy is looking at the next few years rather than this season so even if he doesnt make CL I cant see him being fired. The stadium is the next big thing on the agenda and finally Spurs should be able to compete with others on wages for the first time when its complete. LEts hope AVB keeps us in an around the top in the meantime playing attractive football and bringing through youngsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think it's a good appointment. He stuffed up at Chelsea but the job he was trying to do there he won't have to do at Spurs. If they back him in the transfer market I think they'll do alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Post belongs on Twitter tbf :)

Sorry, dont use Twitter ! ! Im not that PC literate . .:(

I dont normally post rumours, but in all fairness to my contact, hes a huge spurs fan and moreoften then not he gets things about his club spot on and hes not usually one for BS . .

He also said Harry was sacked (told me about sacking before it was announced on news!) for showing no loyalty to club when they stuck by him during his own scandal and then he whored himself for the England job less then week later!

Also suggests that Modric will not join united because he wants to be in a hub city (london/madrid) to get to and from croatia easily (not sure if that makes much sense, planes go from manchester aswell!), but he said Chelsea and Madrid would be a more likely destination . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rarnes1 wrote: »

Agree 100% . . Dont care who the manager is, if you want long term success you have to give a manager at least 3 seasons to give them a reasonable chance of putting their stamp on a club. But as you said, in the modern game its virtually impossible.

EDIT: My friend said it wont be announced until after June 30th because its something to do with some contract payment thing with chelsea! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'll reserve judgement on AVB he didnt get a fair crack at chelsea. What I mean is he never seemed to have the backing of all the players and they didnt give their all.

Anyone who doubts that just watch Napoli away and barca away. Like watching 2 different teams.

Either way If it is him theres reason for spurs to get excited young manager, youngish team. I wish them plenty of 6th place finished provided liverpool crack the top 4 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18610066
    Former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas has been appointed the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur, three weeks after Harry Redknapp was sacked.

Villas-Boas, 34, returns to football on a three-year contract less than four months after his dismissal at Chelsea.

"For me, this is one of the most exciting coaching positions in the Premier League," said Villas-Boas.

"This is a squad any coach would love to work with. Together I believe we can bring success in the seasons ahead."

i thought this would be of interest to the wider board, and not just Spurs fans, especially after his huge success at Porto, massive hype surrounding his arrival at Stamford Bridge, then subsequent fall from grace in that job, for reasons we all kind of know.

how do you think he'll do at Tottenham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

SlickRic wrote: »

how do you think he'll do at Tottenham?
    Think he will do well there . He wont win any league titles anytime soon but i can see them keep on challenging for CL spots .

Wonder can he convince Modric to stay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think any chance we have of getting Modric went out the door as soon as AVB took the job.

I do think he'll bring Spurs trophies in the future also as well as fighting for UCL spots.

He'll be blasted by the media any chance they get if Spursgo on a bad run of form and his return to the Bridge should be interesting to say the least.

:pac:

I am not crazy about the choices, but I will play by the numbers and say he will be sacked within 3 years.

Too early to call in all honesty, if they buy into his philosophy I think he can do well there, certainly can't see him winning the league within 3 years, or being consistently in the champions league either within that time frame so I'll just go with the stats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm sure he can keep them competitive, whatever that means these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Does anyone have an article on how villa boas would be good for spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think it's an excellent appointment. Would have loved if Liverpool had given him the managers job.

Depending on the investment, I would say he'll have Tottenham consistently in the top 6.

Think he will do well. He has a massive point to prove after the debacle at Chelsea. He is a smart young coach who is very detailed in his approach. His challenge will be man management and getting the players to buy into his ideas. He has a much younger and more open minded dressing room than he did at Chelsea that lack strong characters who have had a lot of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just hope he's learnt to clear his throat for interviews.

His voice drives me up the walls! Don't know how players can listen to him let alone be inspired!

I am not crazy about the choices, but I will play by the numbers and say he will be sacked within 3 years.

i wasn't either :D

i didn't want it to get too convoluted though, as you could make up any number of scenarios.

i also gave those choices, assuming him only getting 5th-8th place finishes would mean he'd get sacked within the next couple of years, so people could just vote for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

niallo27 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an article on how villa boas would be good for spurs.

Good aul Kate Cohen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think he will be a disaster at spurs, they will struggle to be in top 7 or 8 at christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Difficult to predict really. The way I see it is that City, United and Chelsea will dominate the CL spots over the next several years (bar maybe one or two bizarre seasons, like Chelsea finishing 6th last season) so it's looking like Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool will be the main challengers for 4th.

Very difficult ask to get in there 1 year out of 3, so I can't possibly predict that he'll manage it consistently. Saying that I can see AVB progressing with the team, but just not enough to finish top 4 consistently/challenge for the title. But tbf even Mourinho would struggle to do that there.

My prediction is that does some very good things there, but wil never turn them into a genuine top 4 force and he'll end up moving on (not necessarily sacked) to Italy or Spain within two/three years time.

I think how he will do , will come down to whether, Spurs get the multi million Arab investment there is talk off - if that comes off he will succeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think if he is given the time he will do well with Spurs. Its impossible to predict just how well given all the super rich clubs and all it takes is another one or two of them to appear to completely change the landscape of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a huge gamble. But his chances of success will be greatly enhanced if the rumours of a middle-eastern sugar daddy prove to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

This is going to be very interesting.
    Theres rumours of a 80 million transfer kitty, which if true, I think is very unfair on Harry.
    If harry had that kitty, then maybe he could have kept them in the top four.

Its more though on if AVB has learnt the lessons of man mangement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

If he has a reasonable amount of money to add to the squad, I think he will do very well.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not gonna repeat myself entirely after past comments regarding him in various threads. But long story short, I still rate him very highly and Spurs is a far and away better fit for him than Chelsea.

Was my no.1 preferred and realistic choice for Liverpool.

he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is going to be very interesting.
    Theres rumours of a 80 million transfer kitty, which if true, I think is very unfair on Harry.

Its more though on if AVB has learnt the lessons of man mangement
    He did but unfortunately it wasn't enough to get Champion's league football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Decent choice for Spurs. I don't think he'll face the same squad and dressing room issues he had at Chelsea and he's getting a team with a relatively young squad with lots of pace who should be able to play the style of football he favours. He should hopefully have learned a valuable lesson in player management from his time at Chelsea too.

yeah, AVB hasn't been recruited to keep Spurs in the top 4, seen as Harry had them there.

he's been recruited to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Hmmm ... tough choice ... I was torn between :

stay 3 years-plus, and consistently get Champions League football and/or win some trophies

or

I went for the later. 2yrs is a long time in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Think he'll do very well there. His style of play will be better suited to Spurs than to the Chelsea players.

He has to be given time to show his capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

stay 3 years-plus, and deliver the League title.
    Win the league at a canter, replace Jose at RM next year.

Stranger things have happened. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Too early to tell how things will go really. Still a whole summer of possible arrivals and departures yet that could really change the shape of his squad.
    He won't have any big ego's to manage like he did at Chelsea though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement